Big Chief Studios Doctor Who Festival Convention Exclusive Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely prefer it as well. Looks much more stylish and dynamic, and suits his Doctor better. I also prefer the actual tailoring compared to what we've seen of the series 8 jacket in similar promo pics.

So what actually is new? Obviously, the velvet crombie, but what else? The waistcoat? The head is the Regeneration head, the boots are the ones we're supposed to get with the series 8 Doctor* (that he hardly ever wore on screen unless he starts wearing them again the series 9) and I'm guessing the trousers and shirt and hands are also from the series 8 figure. The waistcoat isn't that big a deal, but it does seem like a kick in the teeth to only have the velvet crombie offered as a super-limited-in-every-possible-way exclusive when BSC has to know that lots of people are going to want it. That's really not very good customer relations, is it?

*Whenever it is actually released. Does anyone know why BCS has delayed the release for what could be another almost two months? If it's to fix something, that's one thing; but otherwise, I pre-ordered Twelve as soon as he went up last December, made my final payment in May with the expectation it would ship in September and then at the end of August found out it wasn't going to ship until the end of October at the earliest. Frankly, I don't understand why it's going to take longer to get Twelve than it took to get Eleven -- which is a much more complicated figure in terms of costume and extras.

(Actually, you know what? Since I've effectively given Big Chief an interest free loan of approximately $220, I'll be happy if they make up for the delay by just sticking one of the velvet crombies in the mailer when Twelve finally ships. No special packaging needed, just stick it in a little baggy and put it in the box and I'll be more than satisfied LOL!)

Oh, where to begin with the latest Big Chief mess? Even if there's more to this than meets the eye, they have still managed to piss everyone off, and then preached at people into the bargain.

Yes, we all know convention exclusives are by their nature limited, but very, very few items are as limited as this - this is almost on the level of an iminime release. Most stuff gets rereleased in some form or is available later online. This in particular is by far the most desired 12th Doctor outfit, the burgundy jacket reminds everyone of a classic Doctor (specifically Pertwee) and gives it the most 'doctorly' appearance of any nuWho outfit other than Series 7b Eleven. It will sell on eBay for three times the price, as DotD Ten did, and that only had a different tie and marginally different shirt. I don't even like Capaldi and I want this because it looks so cool.

In addition, stuff becomes desirable when it reminds collectors of a particularly beloved story, series or movie; it is looking as if Series 9 is going to be a real fan-pleaser, more so that series 8 which a lot of people criticised. If it absolutely rocks, that will add desirability and cost to this souvenir of Series 9.

I also sympathise with people who say they've waited months and months for a figure that will sport an inferior look which they've already paid for. I mean, where's the fun in that? It's not good for any company to be associated with buyer's remorse.

I also wonder if this might not become a bootlegged item eventually, such will be the demand for it.

It really doesn't have to be like this. It should be the easiest thing in the world to combine BC's two current problems - the fact that people want this and can't have it, and the fact that series 8 Capaldi isn't selling - into a solution. It is no secret that the first Capaldi figure has tanked - the pre-order incentive, limited to 500, is still available which means they haven't even sold half of them. Selling the burgundy coat as an expansion pack won't work because lots of people have kit bashed Capaldi's using the head that came with 7b Eleven and would just buy that. But they can easily link a burgundy coat with the original 12 release - for example by adding it as a preorder exclusive at cost price, available only when you buy the series 8 Twelve figure and shipped later. Or something - either way they'd make everyone happy and sell more of series 8 12. They might even sell more of 7b Smith as people will want the Capaldi head with long hair. As for the exclusive that will still sell out at the conventions no matter what purely because it'll be early.

I find it hard to believe this isn't already their plan, but if it isn't - well, maybe I'm talking out of my arse and failing to understand how their business works but as a customer this makes sense to me. Pissing lots of people off makes no sense.

Yeah including the burgundy jacket with the original Capaldi figure would have been such a no-brainer and a great way to boost sales.

(Even though personally I'd much rather have the hoody and t-shirt for an alternate look instead).

And you wonder why companies stay away from forums. Seriously where do you guys obtain you information? There are some outlandish assumptions being made by a number of members here.

Facts

1. When the 12th Doctor series 8 figure was announced and images were shown, people went crazy for it for the most part. The costume in particular was well praised. Now a new costume, one of a number, the character sports in series 9 is shown, suddenly the series 8 costume is inferior? Opinion, not fact.

2. It is the job of the creative teams behind Doctor Who to design the costume that actor will wear, not ours. We are as in the dark as everyone else as to what costume will feature in a new series.

3. Despite being an official licensee we only receive reference once it has been approved for release by the production team. We do not receive reference materials in sufficient time to enable us to develop and manufacture a figure in time for the actual series in which the character appears. If that were the case we would have released the series 8 figure back when that series was broadcast.

4. Given the lengthy development and manufacturing times (see Chinese factories), any convention exclusive needed to be decided upon way in advance to enable us to be able to release a figure in time for the event. We did not even know about the official convention until the same day as the general public (see BBC). Given the shortness of time we were forced to move forward with a figure which would require the minimum of development time. When we confirmed the exclusive with our factory we requested a larger edition size, but unfortunately they were unable to meet our requirement in time. We cannot go back and ask the to make more to deliver after the show because factories want to mass produce in one go. On top of which the minimum order quantity is far too high for an exclusive.

5. Sales have tanked? Not sold half the stock? You simply made that up, pulled it right out of thin air and presented your statements as fact. Wrong, absolutely wrong.sales have been strong, not great, but we have certainly passed the halfway point. In fact we have less than 200 pcs remaining out of the 1000 pic edition from our own direct sales and those pre-ordered by retail. We extended the incentive offer once we found out that a Signature Edition was not going to happen.

We have preached to no one, not at all, except for now when I say, please do not presume, or create spin that is blatantly untrue. Speculation is great and encouraging and we welcome it. And we welcome constructive criticism that goes beyond a simple "sculpt is off". Oh and by the way, the 11th Doctor series 7 head was sculpted by hand.

Thanks BCS

Thanks for the great insight BCS! I know some of the criticism in here does get a bit nasty at times, but I think most of us are still pretty happy with what you guys are doing with DW.

It's all good. Collectors are passionate and they have a right to question when paying their hard earned for high price items. That said untruths are like Chinese whispers and tend to beget more inaccuracies along the way. Just wanted to stand our corner, defend our position and tell the truth.

"....why companies stay away from forums."

Look. I like BCS, they are good folks and I want them to succeed. But interacting with your target audience isn't a bad thing, for all the good and all the bad; both benefit you supremely. I'm not sure what Captain Britain said that magically summoned BCS here, but perhaps if they interacted with us a bit more then they wouldn't have the haze of false knowledge going about. And I heard a lot of the claims he made elsewhere, specifically the 500pc issue with 12, something that might have been true at one point in time.

Now before everyone grabs pitchforks and tries to run me to the hills, take Asmus as an example. Asmus has elevated their sculpts, tailoring, and products as a whole with every release going as far as replacing old parts at no charge. They frequent the forums looking for criticism, they want it so that they can improve their product. I would argue Asmus' recent products would not be at the level they have started to achieve without input from their target audience. How can this hurt BCS?

It might be frustrating to hear criticism, but hearing it from the people who are paying $200 to $300 per figure and taking it to heart will pay off in the long run. Now I'm not saying BCS should retcon their series 9 exclusive, that's their business. But sculpt inquiries, accessory ideas, outfit inspiration, and more all would benefit from a bit of discussion.

TL;DR Thanks for chiming in; come visit us more, we like your presence and will happily discuss products with you.

"....why companies stay away from forums."

Look. I like BCS, they are good folks and I want them to succeed. But interacting with your target audience isn't a bad thing, for all the good and all the bad; both benefit you supremely. I'm not sure what Captain Britain said that magically summoned BCS here, but perhaps if they interacted with us a bit more then they wouldn't have the haze of false knowledge going about. And I heard a lot of the claims he made elsewhere, specifically the 500pc issue with 12, something that might have been true at one point in time.

Now before everyone grabs pitchforks and tries to run me to the hills, take Asmus as an example. Asmus has elevated their sculpts, tailoring, and products as a whole with every release going as far as replacing old parts at no charge. They frequent the forums looking for criticism, they want it so that they can improve their product. I would argue Asmus' recent products would not be at the level they have started to achieve without input from their target audience. How can this hurt BCS?

It might be frustrating to hear criticism, but hearing it from the people who are paying $200 to $300 per figure and taking it to heart will pay off in the long run. Now I'm not saying BCS should retcon their series 9 exclusive, that's their business. But sculpt inquiries, accessory ideas, outfit inspiration, and more all would benefit from a bit of discussion.

TL;DR Thanks for chiming in; come visit us more, we like your presence and will happily discuss products with you.

I completely agree but when I passionately criticized Asmus' extremely poor execution at Gandalf I was given an infraction for quote "Trolling" and being "negative" (contrary to popular opinion) and told that my criticisms weren't welcomed because it harms open interaction with 1:6 companies so the sword cuts both ways. I'll admit Asmus has come leaps and bounds in their efforts to become a strong contender in the 1:6 market after their poor first attempt as a result. They were receptive to feedback and made numerous product changes and only improved with each consecutive release. They met the criticisms head on and grew as a company from it. I also feel BCS has done this as well. I have read complaint after complaint about poor communication and response time from them but they have always responded to my e-mail inquiries and made things right when I received a 10 with a broken sculpt. They made their bodies less flimsy and offered an improved Tom Baker sculpt after the criticisms of the first release. They offered a second Amy Pond headsculpt to owners who were dissatisfied with the rooted air sculpt. Their second release of 11 was impressive and improved upon the previous release as well. They continue to respond and interact in public forums as well as social media. They continue to strive for excellence and I have been impressed with each of their offerings even if I personally will not be buying their 9th Doctor figure due to my personal dislike of Eccleston, I have to admit it's an extremely well made figure and one of the most impressive looking I've seen from them yet. Their sixth scale Tardis(s) are also incredible even if they are out of my price range. I think BCS has done a rather impressive job with the Doctor Who license overall in spite of lengthy product delays and look forward to more offerings from them.

5. Sales have tanked? Not sold half the stock? You simply made that up, pulled it right out of thin air and presented your statements as fact. Wrong, absolutely wrong.sales have been strong, not great, but we have certainly passed the halfway point. In fact we have less than 200 pcs remaining out of the 1000 pic edition from our own direct sales and those pre-ordered by retail. We extended the incentive offer once we found out that a Signature Edition was not going to happen.

We have preached to no one, not at all, except for now when I say, please do not presume, or create spin that is blatantly untrue. Speculation is great and encouraging and we welcome it. And we welcome constructive criticism that goes beyond a simple "sculpt is off". Oh and by the way, the 11th Doctor series 7 head was sculpted by hand.

Thanks BCS

Well, that's great news. A couple of months ago BCS were saying that the series 8 12 figure wasn't selling. If it has sold well since then that's FANTASTIC.

edit: actually, I think I'm done with collecting BCS stuff and commenting on it. I've been a massive supporter of theirs for years but it's just not fun anymore. I don't see that I've ever expressed anything other than honest views on their work - I've never been angry or abusive and I've never made stuff up. If I can't be passionate about their products I'm going to focus on other things - something about the way I comment clearly annoys them and I hate to think I'm distracting them in any way from making their great products. Geronimo!

Last edited:
I don't want anyone to have the impression I have buyers remorse about the Series 8 Doctor because I absolutely totally don't. My only frustration with the series 8 Doctor is because I DO want it very very much and I thought I would have it by now after putting in my pre-order last December and finishing the payments in May. Yes, I would like the velvet crombie (I would REALLY REALLLY like the velvet crombie BCS HINT HINT HINT), but I've been looking forward to the blue one for months and I can't wait to get it. The boots...well, to be honest I don't really care if they're off because I'm going to use the ACI Doc Marten's anyway.

The short haired sculpt might not be much good for a current series Doctor, but the Regeneration head more than takes care of that and anyway the short hair head is exactly what I need for a custom of another very famous Capaldi character.

So please understand BCS, it's hard for us to see something offered we would happily buy if we could, while we're still waiting for something we DID buy (and fully paid for) that we thought we'd have by now. Especially when there is no reason given for the delay. I'm not trying to get on your case, I guess it comes down to I just really want my Doctor!

Well, that's great news. A couple of months ago BCS were saying that the series 8 12 figure wasn't selling. If it has sold well since then that's FANTASTIC.

This is news to me and I co-own the company. I would like to see where and when we made such comments. Sales are as per my previous comment.

edit: actually, I think I'm done with collecting BCS stuff and commenting on it. I've been a massive supporter of theirs for years but it's just not fun anymore. I don't see that I've ever expressed anything other than honest views on their work - I've never been angry or abusive and I've never made stuff up. If I can't be passionate about their products I'm going to focus on other things - something about the way I comment clearly annoys them and I hate to think I'm distracting them in any way from making their great products. Geronimo!

There are only a select few people who know the facts and they all work for BIG Chief. Anything else you may have heard is hearsay.

We are not annoyed by any one individual and frankly we do not have to justify or defend our position to what amounts to a small number of people on a fan forum. Please remember that we sell a thousand pieces of these figures, so comments from twenty or even fifty members, will not force us to change our plans. That does not mean that we do not listen and take on board what fans say, but at the end of the day this is a business and knee jerk reactions to what be a poorly lit photograph, or a work in progress product, is not cause enough for us to stop what we are doing and go in a different direction.

We truly value our customers, despite what some people might think. On a number of occasions we have gone above and beyond what most other companies would do:

• Developed and manufactured a new head for our Amy Pond figure, as we ourselves were so disappointed with the rooted hair version and we wanted our customers who had waited for many months to be happy.
  • Had stock of both the Fourth and Tenth Doctors air freighted in to ensure that customers would receive their figures prior to Christmas, at great cost to ourselves.
  • Developed numerous incentives which are made available free of charge to those customers who pay either in full, or via payment plan, again at a significant cost to ourselves.

These are a just a few of the things that we have done and will continue to do to try and keep our customers happy.

We do appreciate constructive criticism and welcome suggestions for future products. Believe me when I say that there is no bigger critic of our work than ourselves. We scrutinise every element and detail and pour over reference material to ensure that accuracy is maintained. We know that there is debate about more expressive portraits and to that end we offer alternate heads where possible. In fact we are currently re-working the Ninth Doctor portrait because we are not satisfied with it. We posted images of the prototype, which is always work in progress until we are happy with it and of course it is approved by talent. We are also working with our vendors to make continual improvements to our products. We are aiming to make our products better and better.

Thanks BCS

Wow BCS, way to tell passionate fans to get lost.

Also, let's be transparent here...you were facing a ton of cancellations for coming out with the rooted hair Amy figure. I appreciate the new head more than anyone but you guys benefited as well.

And it’s posts like this that keep us away.

Please don’t confuse passion with a misguided belief that you know better than the very people making the actual products.

And it’s posts like this that keep us away.

Please don’t confuse passion with a misguided belief that you know better than the very people making the actual products.
You're making the figures for collectors, yes? Surely their opinion should hold a ton of weight.

The point is that a number of members here have been making assumptions and posting them as fact. Sitting at a keyboard making stuff up because you have an audience of like-minded individuals that propagate the inaccuracies further still, does not make you an expert. Purchasing collectables, no matter for how long, does not mean that you know more than the very people who are working on the products.

Case in point "...you were facing a ton of cancellations for coming out with the rooted Amy figure", so where did you pluck this little nugget from? Ironically despite the issues with Amy we actually received no more cancellation than any other figure. Furthermore we manufactured enough heads to cover both our direct sales and those sales made to retail. To date we still have more than half of these heads in stock and received only a handful of requests from US retailers seeking replacement heads for their customers.

And whilst your opinion does count, as I mentioned above twenty or so people here, is a mere fraction of our customer base.

Back