Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 11th Doctor 1/6 TARDIS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 1/6 TARDIS

I am definitely getting one of these! Even if they don't do an interchangeable interior, I'm already planning on painting and converting the back of it in the style of the 9th/10th Doctor's Tardis. That way, I can at least take photos of it not only with the 11th, but also with my 9th and 10th Doctors without having to buy more than one of these (which I may still end up doing ;)).
I'm really excited to see this guy leaning on it:
9th-doctor.jpg

I'm holding out hope for variants. Specifically the 10th Doctor version.

doctor+who+50th+anniversary+exhibit.jpg

Don't think I can justify more than one TARDIS, either in space or money, so this first release will have to suffice for me.

Of course, ask me again in a year or two after they preview a TARDIS from some point in the classic era, and see how well me current resolve holds up... :lol

I am definitely getting one of these! Even if they don't do an interchangeable interior, I'm already planning on painting and converting the back of it in the style of the 9th/10th Doctor's Tardis. That way, I can at least take photos of it not only with the 11th, but also with my 9th and 10th Doctors without having to buy more than one of these (which I may still end up doing ;)).
I'm really excited to see this guy leaning on it:
9th-doctor.jpg

That is a gorgeous custom! What headsculpt is that?

The door sign even lights up like the actual prop!

10600458_10204973054386611_3660074772731360309_n.jpg

was a very smart move by BCS to do the interior they are, cuz now i m gonna need that new ver of 11. :thud: sure others are thinkin the same now...

That is a gorgeous custom! What headsculpt is that?

It's my first attempt @ 1/6 scale custom/sculpt. Been collecting 1/6 scale for just a short while and since I'm a fan of Doctor Who, I figured I'd start with a missing piece of my New Who collection.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-1-6-doctor-9th-doctor-eccleston-project.html
I'm really excited about the release of this Tardis and my new 11th is ordered and paid for, so at least he'll accompany this Tardis perfectly.

Full specs are up! Goes on sale on Monday (3rd of November)!

product-feature-dw-1_6-11th-doctors-tardis.jpg

Price is £269.99 (or £224.99 EX VAT for international customers)
Shipping is £20.00 within Europe, £30.00 for US, and £50.00 for Australia and Japan
Expected delivery is June 2015
Edition size of 1000

Customers who order and either pay in full, or use a payment plan get the 11th Doctor’s three quarter length green military styled overcoat as a bonus.

Specs:

Specification

1 x 1:6 Scale TARDIS Diorama Environment
Interior Illumination System
Light-up Rooftop Lantern
Opening Door to Access Interior
Interchangeable Series 5 & 7 Control Room Printed Backdrops
Removable Rooftop Section to Access Battery Compartment
Sturdy, Heavy Weight Polystone Construction

Packaging

Product Size: H510mm (20.1")**
Product Weight: 4.0 kg (8.82 lbs)**
Pack Size: W360mm (14.2") x H560mm (22.1") x D360mm (14.2")
Shipping Weight: 15.0 kg (33.1 lbs)**

More information and pics at Big Chief.

11th-doctor-tardis-gallery-6.jpg

For my part I'd say that while it's expensive, for my money it's not unreasonably so. And for me, shipped, it'll come in at just a little less than a Sideshow PF costs me these days (Hell, Pinhead costs slightly more than this before shipping...), so personally I'm okay with that for something this iconic, using quality materials, just so long as the final piece turns out to be worth the wait.

Expensive. Very expensive but you can't have all of the Doctors and no TARDIS. The shipping weight is 33 pounds though! Guess it will have to go on the bottom shelf of the Detolf and a some jiggery pokery will be needed to get it to fit.

I can never resist the green military styled overcoat which means I'll have to pre-order two Tardis.

I expected a price around €400 so I'm ok with it. It IS expensive but a must have for me, my 11th Doctor collection wouldn't be complete without it. Though I'll be paying deposit + balance once it's in stock as usual, need time to save up and I'm not interested in the green coat when I have no stetson head to go with it and no figure to put it on. Glad the S5 console room is included. :)

Honestly, if they can maintain this price, and the quality is there, I'm actually open to considering other versions of the TARDIS down the line. Which is something I didn't expect to be...

I'd possibly be up for the RTD era TARDIS and the Fourth Doctor's TARDIS, if this one turns out well, as they are both quite distinctive (and popular) versions. Maybe release one a year, or so.

Something that seems far less likely, but if they ever get around to making the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctor figures, then they could eventually follow that with two different paint deco's of the JNT era TARDIS (dark blue version for the Fifth and Sixth Doctor, light blue version for Seventh Doctor), though I'd probably only be up for the light blue version just because that's the most visually distinctive version in my view. Still, it is another version of the TARDIS that I'd probably buy. God only knows where I'd put four different versions of the TARDIS though... :lol

Mind you, at that point, in the very unlikely event that they had gone that far, that we're all still alive, there hasn't been another new series TARDIS to do, and Big Chief is still going strong, then they may as well throw in a version based on the original TARDIS that the first three Doctors used (again the possibility exists for different paint deco's). I mean Hell, it would have been years since the Moffat era TARDIS had been released by that point, so why not?

Which would really only leave the one-off McGann TARDIS (as long as we had a McGann Doctor figure to go along with it), but I'm not sure if that would be considered unique enough or have enough demand to bother with from even the most hardcore fans...although I could be wrong. Completists are even crazier than I am. Well, some of them... :p

You see, this is what happens when I'm bored, with an internet connection, and access to a forum... :lol

Hmm, wonder what the chances are of us seeing a console done at some point? But if so, which one...? :gah:

The shipping weight is 33 pounds though! Guess it will have to go on the bottom shelf of the Detolf and a some jiggery pokery will be needed to get it to fit.

The product weight is only 8.82lbs, so I'm sure it'll be fine on a glass shelf in a detolf.

I'm not sure what to make of this..polystone? Why? I assume it's cheaper than plastic, that's what was said about the angles, I can't think of any other reason why you would want to make it out of that rather than plastic. Pricewise can't really see where that's coming from £270? To much I think, I'm sure it will sell out eventually but I think at that price I'll have to pass.

On pricing stratergies I did wonder what people thought on how producers of high end 1/6 figures arrive at their R.R.P and found this interesting reading - Pricing strategies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think most companies go the Premium pricing route.

Premium pricing
Main article: Premium pricing

Premium pricing is the practice of keeping the price of a product or service artificially high in order to encourage favorable perceptions among buyers, based solely on the price. The practice is intended to exploit the (not necessarily justifiable) tendency for buyers to assume that expensive items enjoy an exceptional reputation, are more reliable or desirable, or represent exceptional quality and distinction.

I'm not sure what to make of this..polystone? Why? I assume it's cheaper than plastic, that's what was said about the angles, I can't think of any other reason why you would want to make it out of that rather than plastic. Pricewise can't really see where that's coming from £270? To much I think, I'm sure it will sell out eventually but I think at that price I'll have to pass.

On pricing stratergies I did wonder what people thought on how producers of high end 1/6 figures arrive at their R.R.P and found this interesting reading - Pricing strategies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think most companies go the Premium pricing route.

Premium pricing
Main article: Premium pricing

Premium pricing is the practice of keeping the price of a product or service artificially high in order to encourage favorable perceptions among buyers, based solely on the price. The practice is intended to exploit the (not necessarily justifiable) tendency for buyers to assume that expensive items enjoy an exceptional reputation, are more reliable or desirable, or represent exceptional quality and distinction.

That's not what most 1/6 manufacturers do. It's usually based on a formula tied to cost of production. Of course licensing, advertising, etc. also play a factor. But with such an incredibly limited market like 1:6 it's not like they can product 10,000, price them at $100 each and hope to break even. 3000 sales is very, very good for a 1:6 figure/vehicle.

not poly stone. It's resin.

It's funny because the page does say polystone. I wonder if it's a copy/paste error from the Angels? Because I know they said it'd be resin.

I figured it was an error because it was only a couple weeks ago that Gregg told us it was resin.

I wouldn't be surprised if the base was polystone, product weight of 4kg seems awfully heavy for just resin.

Back