Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 11th Doctor 1/6 TARDIS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 1/6 TARDIS

That's not what most 1/6 manufacturers do. It's usually based on a formula tied to cost of production. Of course licensing, advertising, etc. also play a factor. But with such an incredibly limited market like 1:6 it's not like they can product 10,000, price them at $100 each and hope to break even. 3000 sales is very, very good for a 1:6 figure/vehicle.

That's what I always thought and thats what the manufacturers tell us but the reality seems somewhat different.

We have the DOFP Wolverine at £175, a very basic figure but we are told that unlike an Avengers figure where you need to get Marvels permission to make the figure with Wolvie you need permissions from Marvel. Disney, Fox and the actor before you can make the figure and thats what drives up the price.

Then we get Xwing pilot Skywalker also a basic figure also at £175 but that figure doesn't need all that complex negotiations..does it? It could be the Star Wars licence is just much more expensive of course...but then Hoth Han is only £150 and Hoth Skywalker is £140.

Also Iron men, there seems to be a lot of what are basicly just repaints, huge reuse of parts and yet the price jumps up for no apparent reason, except for the fact Hot Toys Know they will sell so can get what ever they ask.

I'm not arguing here by the way, I just don't get it, pricing does seem to me to be quite arbitory and not based on any kind of formula and it often looks like a bunch of people sitting around a desk saying "Well thats the price we need to charge per unit, so how much do you think we can get away with actually charging?"

£269.00,Sweet Mother MacCrae!! That's me out then.

I will take a 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) one if his is next...and a K-9!

That's not what most 1/6 manufacturers do. It's usually based on a formula tied to cost of production. Of course licensing, advertising, etc. also play a factor. But with such an incredibly limited market like 1:6 it's not like they can product 10,000, price them at $100 each and hope to break even. 3000 sales is very, very good for a 1:6 figure/vehicle.

Well that's not really true according to what BCS themselves have posted. They have said that economies of scale don't really exist due to the hand made nature of the 1/6 figures and their price per unit is basically the same regardless of how many they make.

I'm a wee bit confused as to what people thought a light-up, 20'' high quality replica TARDIS in 1/6 scale was going to cost? Look, I'd love for it to be $300 but that seems a bit unrealistic at 1000 units made? I'm still debating whether I need it that badly, myself. Waiting for the full details on Monday, but considering this costs about double one of their figures, it's pretty much what I expected.

I'm not arguing here by the way, I just don't get it, pricing does seem to me to be quite arbitory and not based on any kind of formula and it often looks like a bunch of people sitting around a desk saying "Well thats the price we need to charge per unit, so how much do you think we can get away with actually charging?"

I could almost buy this with Hot Toys, at times. For one thing, they make MUCH more of these than BCS. I can't believe that they aren't making a good margin on some of these figures. BUT, the thing to remember is that every licensor is different. And, based on things I've seen, I believe that the BBC aren't really understanding the BCS business model where it's all very low run, high end. So it may be that their licensing costs are higher than they really should be.

What is the deposit on this going to be? I want it but it's hitting at the same time as Eleven and One in their payment plans. Getting stretched thin.

Man... That is Just SO high.....Now what if I buy it...say to go on display with My Tom Baker 4th Doctor figure...and then...have to sell my kidney to buy it....then next year...they come out with the one for the 4th Doctor...then what????

Man... That is Just SO high.....Now what if I buy it...say to go on display with My Tom Baker 4th Doctor figure...and then...have to sell my kidney to buy it....then next year...they come out with the one for the 4th Doctor...then what????

I want a 10th Doctor version so at that price (which is around $600AUD delivered) I'm not settling for an 11th Doctor Tardis to make believe with. But even if they bring out a 10th I'm not convinced I can justify that kind of money.

Yep, around $500 delivered (at current rates) for us Aussies. That's still slightly less than something like the new Pinhead PF (not counting delivery) so while it certainly is a long way from cheap, for what you get, it still seems reasonable to me, all things considered.

Even more so when not that long ago you had some people predicting this would be in the $1000 range. :lol

But to each their own. :)

I am definitely going to get this but it's going to have to wait. I have both R2D2 and 11 v.2 hitting this week. :panic:

Back