Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got to spend some quality time with my Sherlock. There's no way my pictures could do justice to him - JonWes and Darklord Dave have already put up some excellent pics. But I will say, this is a figure that has to be seen in hand to be believed. The skin tone is the best I've ever seen - nothing like the pale skin you see in so many photos - just the right shade for a caucasian skin tone, and the skin is nicely textured with pores - he's got pores! - and subtle lines around the eyes, which is just right given the actor's age. The detail is incredible - love the tiny mole over his right eye, which is amazing itself, but which actually appears to have been painted!!! The colours generally are in no way too white - there are pinks in there, but diffused over the whole face (with Ten they tended to be concentrated around his cheeks). The eyebrows look like they've been picked out individually with paint brushes made from a single hair (and maybe they were).

Speaking of which, this is a quantum leap over Ten - which we all raved over last Christmas - just as the Tenth Doctor was an improvement on Eleven. I also love that the eye work is perfect, down to the veins in the whites of his eyes, the colour of the pupils is spot on, and the hair - which looks black from a distance - is actually a number of different shades of brown. It's a pleasure generally to see a caucasian figure with a skin tone that isn't too oriental, and this extends to the hands, which are fantastic (and MUCH more realistically proportioned than Hot Toys hands which look puffy and overlarge when compared side by side). Love the textured neck. Perhaps the neck could be a little longer... but if you look at photos of Sherlock it doesn't need to be, I think collectors always think a character's neck is too short.

People have criticised the body for being too floppy. After all the comment I was expecting a sideshow Indy scale abomination, but in fact it is a SMIDGEN floppier than the TT Slim I swopped it too (and swopped it back from) - but not so much that anything is a problem. The dimensions are identical with a TT slim, although the legs are marginally longer on the BCS body. Yes, his right shoe falls off! Nothing that a dab of glue can't fix. Love the paint job... on the heel of his shoe! Yes, the paint job on a part of the figure that you never see on display!!!! If that's not attention to detail I don't know what is.

I think the tailoring is brilliant, from the buttons to the overall silhouette. People were saying the coat is too thick, but I can't really see this. My one nitpick is that I would have liked the scarf a little lighter to stand out more from a distance. And the button on the trousers - once you've undone it it is impossible to do up! But the feel of the material generally is really nice. The suit needs futzing if you display it without a coat simply because no suit that is designed to go under a coat will look perfect when the coat is removed. The accessories are, y'know, accessories, especially the amazing violin and bow. And the skull which rather nicely turns out to have one point of articulation!

I would definitely advise anyone who is on the fence about getting Sherlock to pull the trigger because I doubt he'll be around long, and by the time the next series starts filming in January I think he'll be fetching a premium (never mind Christmas 2015 when the next series begins). This is a really nice figure, made with a lot of love and is a lot of fun to play with. But possibly my favourite thing about it is that I've shown it to people who don't even know about the existence of high-end figures... and they've freaked out over how cool it is. I love that response.

that's the same story I got from them too!! I asked for Royal Mail too! ugh!!!

well its obvious that, same with sideshow, they have a bulk purchase agreement with this courier companies who give them shipping discounts and in turn this couriers charge us the buyers with ridiculous amounts of money based on "taxes" and storage fees. but unlike sideshow which charge a minimal 25$ shipping, BCS charges close to 60$ adding the usual astronomical screw job amounts from the couriers. That is why this figures are approaching HT vehicle level prices and not worth the bother.

well count me in on Team New Body. I picked up one of the cheapos off ebay, and to me it makes a huge difference around the collar area, shown in pics earlier in this thread. Makes Sherlock a little too tall next to Watson, but I added a thin layer of foam core beneath Watson's stand and it evens out. My camera's out on loan but I'll try to post some pix when I get it back.

Some crappy camera pix, but gives you an idea of the relationship of the head to the coat collar compared to the out-of-box version…. Sherlock and Watson are displayed on my Doctor Who shelf, the "clue" in his hand is the Tardis piece that came with 11th Doctor.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Thanks for the tip! When I got into customizing in this hobby, bodies cost maybe ten or fifteen bucks through monkeydepot. I haven't really kept up with all the various bodies as the prices have gone up, up up…., wouldn't have had any idea where to find one that would work.

Have one of the bodies for Sherlock but haven't done the switch yet.
Am actually considering using the BCS Sherlock body for Watson to keep the relative height difference, once Sherlock is on the new body.
Thoughts?

I'd be interested to see how that works. The clothes seem pretty tightly tailored to the shorter body.

well its obvious that, same with sideshow, they have a bulk purchase agreement with this courier companies who give them shipping discounts and in turn this couriers charge us the buyers with ridiculous amounts of money based on "taxes" and storage fees. but unlike sideshow which charge a minimal 25$ shipping, BCS charges close to 60$ adding the usual astronomical screw job amounts from the couriers. That is why this figures are approaching HT vehicle level prices and not worth the bother.

Oh man, I had to return my Sherlock because of this! the taxes and fees where around 250usd which is insane and not to mention that the customs of my country were asking for lots of documentation as if I was importing narcotics or something that could harm. I asked BCS to ship it again through EMS with lower value and it seems they wont do it cause they "cannot been seen helping people avoiding taxes" I just don't know what to think about this, I was supposed to enjoy my figure by now and all I am getting is a big nightmare, I tell ya.

Oh man, I had to return my Sherlock because of this! the taxes and fees where around 250usd which is insane and not to mention that the customs of my country were asking for lots of documentation as if I was importing narcotics or something that could harm. I asked BCS to ship it again through EMS with lower value and it seems they wont do it cause they "cannot been seen helping people avoiding taxes" I just don't know what to think about this, I was supposed to enjoy my figure by now and all I am getting is a big nightmare, I tell ya.

I know what you're saying, and believe me I've paid enough ******** import duties - not to mention 'admin charges' - to last me a lifetime. I also try to buy from people like HK sellers who always say stuff is a gift (and I would have no moral qualms about marking something as a gift if I was selling abroad). But, those are ebay resellers, BCS is a legitimate company, you can't seriously expect them to do something that isn't, or may not be, legitimate and might get them into some kind of trouble one day.

That said, I feel your pain and I hope a way can be found for folks outside Europe to get these figures cheaper.

I know what you're saying, and believe me I've paid enough ******** import duties - not to mention 'admin charges' - to last me a lifetime. I also try to buy from people like HK sellers who always say stuff is a gift (and I would have no moral qualms about marking something as a gift if I was selling abroad). But, those are ebay resellers, BCS is a legitimate company, you can't seriously expect them to do something that isn't, or may not be, legitimate and might get them into some kind of trouble one day.

That said, I feel your pain and I hope a way can be found for folks outside Europe to get these figures cheaper.

Just what I do too!

You know, I'm seriously considering canceling my SCC Batman just because I'm afraid of those custom fees. If it were available in HK, I wouldn't hesitate one second!

I didn't get charged anything. Shipped via DHL Global.
Not sure if that was different to everyone else or if Australia's laws are stricter regarding companies being able to hit you with unknown charges
(I've never been pinged for any type of delivery charge expect for once on a leather jacket because Oz actually has tarrifs on that, weirdly)

Sorry to hear others are getting burned here and some of the extra charges being quotes are disgusting.

It seems to be a UK/USA thing, every single item I have ever bought from the USA has incurred import duty, VAT, Taxes whatever so much so I never buy anything from the USA now, compare this to Hong Kong, China and Canada I have never once been charged anything delivered from those countries.

Damn. Paint issues with both my Sherlock and Watson; minor paint rub on Watson's nose and a hole under Sherlock's chin...

SDC16594.jpg

Here's my nearly 500 dollar sherlock :lol

imagejpg2_zps7e27177e.jpg

out of the box smh

worse the dreaded nose rub

imagejpg1_zps4e79baa4.jpg

I can only laugh at my stupidity in ordering this

good move returning it... as you can see from my previous post you aren't losing much with all the issues. I have a Red Skull body lying around so it was a good fit. just need to repaint the head. As I said not worth the money or the bother. My love for Cumberbatch however is bordering on manic so :lol Curly Fu needs to be released widespread

Back