Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBTS usually stocks Big Chief figures... My friend got the 11th Doctor and in hand I was kinda disappointed because he looked really great in the pics. The clothing and all was fine, but it was the paint work that was disappointing. Problem is I suppose that other 1/6 companies have ramped up their paintwork so much and so well that in comparison these look bland. The detailing is the issue. Clothing and all is fine. Plus the skin texturing on the sculpt too was very very soft.

Price? they retailed at BBTS for The Doctor at around $200 and Amy Pond at $189 or so... their quality is more Triad toys than ZCWO. Dont think signature editions are stocked by BBTS though... you have to go via BC direct for signature editions Im guessing.

Your friend must have been crap out of luck sadly, as mine was excellent! My #11 easily matches the quality of my recent SSC Padawan Obi-Wan (Ewan McGregor) figure. Not quite HT, but they are a young and eager company and they are learning fast, thanks to a much troubled second figure.

And here is the correct information for Sherlock figure details...

Big Chief Studios Web Site.

Hi!There is written about preordering in august.Does it means i have missed thous guys to get?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

BBTS usually stocks Big Chief figures... My friend got the 11th Doctor and in hand I was kinda disappointed because he looked really great in the pics. The clothing and all was fine, but it was the paint work that was disappointing. Problem is I suppose that other 1/6 companies have ramped up their paintwork so much and so well that in comparison these look bland. The detailing is the issue. Clothing and all is fine. Plus the skin texturing on the sculpt too was very very soft.

Price? they retailed at BBTS for The Doctor at around $200 and Amy Pond at $189 or so... their quality is more Triad toys than ZCWO. Dont think signature editions are stocked by BBTS though... you have to go via BC direct for signature editions Im guessing.

Just to add balance to DGT's statement, some of us were disappointed with the paintwork on 11. It is pretty crude and mine had grey wash all over it. As you say, there is no skin texture either. Don't know if that was lost in the casting process or was never there, but it was notable by its absence. We know that the orginal sculpts for Sherlock and John are perfect and the casts we have seen so far look good, so this is promising. Paintwork still doesn't look to be what I would expect at this price, but better than it could be.

I am passing, not because they are awful but because they would have to be absolutely bloody perfect for me to fork out that kind of money at the moment. More for everyone else.

gido, pre-order hasn't gone up yet. You can subscribe to the mailing list to be notified of when it does.

Just to add balance to DGT's statement, some of us were disappointed with the paintwork on 11. It is pretty crude and mine had grey wash all over it. As you say, there is no skin texture either. Don't know if that was lost in the casting process or was never there, but it was notable by its absence. We know that the orginal sculpts for Sherlock and John are perfect and the casts we have seen so far look good, so this is promising. Paintwork still doesn't look to be what I would expect at this price, but better than it could be.
Atleast an honest response here. DGTWoodward has taken it on him to be the Defender of BCS and the champion of whatever they get out. I am disappointed because I really really wanted to own 1/6 figures of Sherlock.

Initially the plan was to get them as full customs and I knew Trevor was already sculpting them on his own to offer them like his usual sculpts, I planned to get them and collaborate the clothing from other artists with an interest thread. However when BCS stepped in, and bought the sculpts off Trevor for exclusive use and got the license, I was chuffed because I thought it would save me all the sourcing pain and thus cost me less too in that way. Mind you the 11th Doctor hadnt released till then and whatever pics we saw of it was still of the proto.

My friend who got the 11th Doctor isnt interested in 1/6 figures or collectibles as such but is a MASSIVE Dr. Who fan. She used to see my HT/EB and customs collection and compliment them for how realistic they looked and the amazing lifelike detail on the sculpts. When she heard from me that Matt was getting a figure of his own she immediately wanted to buy it because she too wanted a realistic miniature 'character' that she liked so much.

She was pretty disappointed when she bought it because her expectations were pretty much formulated from seeing my collection. And ever since then I was pretty much anticipating being disappointed about this release too.

My problem is NOT with the clothing or bodies. Its the most important thing. The paintwork on the sculpt and accessories that irks me. That is the ONLY place and the most important place that BCS is really lagging behind. I want BCS to improve their paint apps on these figures so that the greats sculpts that they are can truly shine through. Honestly its the sheer brilliance of the sculpt right now that is somehow making the painting bearable. The scary bit is Matt's Proto looked great, Tennant's Proto, Baker's proto looks great too - Sherlock and Watson's doesnt - atleast not as great as the Doctors.

See for yourself:
10-doctor-1.jpg

217966_10151916894071002_433815948_n.jpg

DARN IMPRESSIVE if you ask me! But cant say the same about the Sherlock painted proto...

Last edited:
Atleast an honest response here. DGTWoodward has taken it on him to be the Defender of BCS and the champion of whatever they get out.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5952043&postcount=512

Does that sound like I am defending everything they put out? And for the life of me, I cannot find the fuller review I did of the figure as a whole. It was less "Defender of all things BCS" and definitely more "This is what we ended up with guys". Truth is, the I am not happy with it in the least. I will be switching to the sculpted hair ASAP.

Found it....This is my full review,

Big Chief Stuios' 1:6 Scale Amy Pond Figure Review

Hardly a positive piece. But I do not deny having a lot of time for these guys.

axecutioner18, if the paintwork is all you are worried about, get them repainted. It would still cost less than commissioning all that stuff for a one off custom. Skiman repainted an 11 a while ago and it improved it no end. It added texture where there wasn't any and used a subtlety of colour that the original lacked. https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/668422-skimans-1-6-paint-dr-who-eleventh-doctor-big-chief-studios.html

Really, if that is all that is stopping you, it is so easily solved.

axecutioner18, if the paintwork is all you are worried about, get them repainted. It would still cost less than commissioning all that stuff for a one off custom. Skiman repainted an 11 a while ago and it improved it no end. It added texture where there wasn't any and used a subtlety of colour that the original lacked. https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/668422-skimans-1-6-paint-dr-who-eleventh-doctor-big-chief-studios.html

Really, if that is all that is stopping you, it is so easily solved.
Even the accessories need to be painted cleaner... and a new paintjob these days are close to $150 and all... thats like $300 extra to get them to look good.. not counting shipping. Lets see what can happen... just hope they come out with better pics soon.

Last edited:
That Eleven repaint is mine. Totally worth the money. Then again, for the price I paid a repaint shouldn't have been necessary. And I'm sorry - I strongly felt it was necessary. He looked silly compared to my Hot Toys. Not to mention, his hair wasn't correctly inserted into the head, so there's a funny hairline that I want to have fixed. My first Eleven head was stained red by the bow tie, the dye of which clearly isn't safe when it comes to bleeding. Overall this figure was very frustrating tbh. I have Ten preordered, but frankly I'm nervous...

SlytherinePride, that repaint made that figure. Are you still happy with it? I am sure that these will look great with repaints too, but I personally can't afford what they will be asking for the figures themselves, let alone adding the cost of repainting to that.

But I wil get my 11 repainted one day. I enjoy taking photos of my figs but I haven't done much with him as his shiny, grey face won't tolerate close up photography. At least the sculpt is an excellent likeness. That would have been a deal breaker for me if it weren't.

Look at me looking on the bright side! You can tell the sun is out.

That Eleven repaint is mine. Totally worth the money. Then again, for the price I paid a repaint shouldn't have been necessary. And I'm sorry - I strongly felt it was necessary. He looked silly compared to my Hot Toys. Not to mention, his hair wasn't correctly inserted into the head, so there's a funny hairline that I want to have fixed. My first Eleven head was stained red by the bow tie, the dye of which clearly isn't safe when it comes to bleeding. Overall this figure was very frustrating tbh. I have Ten preordered, but frankly I'm nervous...

That's where I'm at with these. These are on my short want list, but if I'm not satisfied with the paint apps and feel they don't match the cost of the figures then I'm likely to remove them from my want list.

They already cost too much money to have to sink more money into repainting them. I would only be willing to do that for my most favorite of characters. I greatly enjoy the show and the characters, but I don't think my love for it is quite to the point where I'll sink that kind of money into them.

I put a link up to the information on the BCS site just a few posts ago. It might even be on this actual page, depending on how you have it set!

Here is the relevant quote....

Exclusively available via our dedicated website www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk, the figures will be released as numbered Signature and Limited Editions. For the first time we will also be offering a select amount of figures as numbered pairs.

It does not differentiate between the signature and non-signature editions so they are only available from BCS' own site. Although I suppose that this could easily change.

@pauholmes, if you register at this page you will be notified when the POs become live...

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/coming-soon-sherlock-16-scale-collector-figures/

That's where I'm at with these. These are on my short want list, but if I'm not satisfied with the paint apps and feel they don't match the cost of the figures then I'm likely to remove them from my want list.

They already cost too much money to have to sink more money into repainting them. I would only be willing to do that for my most favorite of characters. I greatly enjoy the show and the characters, but I don't think my love for it is quite to the point where I'll sink that kind of money into them.

I'm kinda in the same place with these. I truly want these to be worth the price, but so far I'm a bit skeptical based on the initial photos.

Are BCS figures usually still available after we've seen in-hand pics? I'd really want to wait til I see some real photos and/or videos before I make my final decision, but I know I risk losing out on them if I wait too long.

I put a link up to the information on the BCS site just a few posts ago. It might even be on this actual page, depending on how you have it set!

Here is the relevant quote....

It does not differentiate between the signature and non-signature editions so they are only available from BCS' own site. Although I suppose that this could easily change.

@pauholmes, if you register at this page you will be notified when the POs become live...

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/coming-soon-sherlock-16-scale-collector-figures/

Thank you! I know, I hope I can get The SE ones :)

Back