Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

megysety.jpg

Love my Tom!

I got the impression that thedarkknight wasn't so much after a whole replacement coat but a replacement lost button? That's how I'd do it anyway, request a new button and glue it on myself.

Yeah, I'm not looking for a whole new figure. I just want the button that was missing when I opened the box. I've checked the area I opened it in for two days before contacting Big Chief to be certain I didn't loose it, and it's not floating around in the box. Also, I offered to pay for the button and shipping, just to have a complete figure.

This is slightly off topic, but I didn't know where else to ask. I have a friend looking for Underground Toys 10th Doctor Tardis Playset. If anyone has any tips besides Amazon, shoot me a PM to point me in the right direction.

I think ebay and (maybe) amazon are your only bets this far into the game.

Yeah, I'm not looking for a whole new figure. I just want the button that was missing when I opened the box. I've checked the area I opened it in for two days before contacting Big Chief to be certain I didn't loose it, and it's not floating around in the box. Also, I offered to pay for the button and shipping, just to have a complete figure.

You shouldn't have to pay a dime. You paid a hefty price and got an incomplete figure, BCS should correct it on their dime.

Is that actually an issue that deserves a replacement? Not asking you this question in any way that's hostile, just that glued on buttons do fall off and there doesn't seem to be a glue strong enough to stop it. Certainly a number of small buttons on 11 fell off, but didn't really ruin the figure for me. But please, if you think I'm wrong then put me straight! It's perfectly valid to say that at this price everything should be perfect.

I'm glad that the buttons on Ten's suit jacket seemed to be sewed on.
He shouldn't be stuck with an incomplete figure. A button on my 11 fell off and I glued it on, no big deal...but in the case of his Tom, we're talking an expensive figure that was missing a button.

For the record, if I was missing a button, I'd definitely be asking for a new button. :)

I decided to make a few minor changes to my 4th Doctor. I started by using some Fixit Sculpt to widen his lower jaw:

100_5702_zps2b9c5be6.jpg

When I repainted it, I also painted over the 5 o'clock shadow. Then I repainted his hair to be a slightly lighter shade of brown:

100_5728_zps513f6887.jpg

Finally, I gave his scarf a bath in some cold tea for 20 seconds:

100_5738b_zps2a2cd0b7.jpg

Nothing earth shattering, but I am happy with the changes.

I was so impressed with the Tom that when I saw that my local comic shop still had a Matt Smith I grabbed it immediately. A front coat button was missing.

I honestly don't know if I knocked it off the first time I posed it (I took a photo as soon as it was on my shelf, and the button was gone), but me and the GF spent days searching the carpet and I went through the vacuum cleaner and found nothing. Having modelled a few 1/35th scale plastic tanks and soldiers in my time I am pretty good at finding missing tiny bits and pieces if they are there to be found.

It might not have been Big Chief's fault. The figure had been sitting in a comic shop for months, and I know from experience that the staff there sometimes open up the boxes of sixth scale figures to show customers (though I've never known them to take anything out). The button wasn't in the box. It was a front coat button, so once you know it is not there it is impossible not to notice! A button on his shirt cuff was hanging off as well, barely attached. I glued it back on with fabric glue and now it is fine. Matt has only one back pocket button. Not sure if he is supposed to have to two! His buttons are much flimsier than Tom's, and you can see that Big Chief's tailoring has improved in leaps and bounds between Smith's Doctor's jacket and Baker's.

I think a replacement button in TDK's case would be fair, and in mine not completely unreasonable! If nothing else, I'd like to be able to buy a replacement button. Fingers crossed! You might be luckier, TDK, with Tom being recent, cause the Matt Smith came out a while ago and so they might have run out of spare buttons. I sent my email about a day before their email went down, right at the start of January. Like you I offered to pay for the button and shipping. Anything to get my expensive figure looking right! I didn't notice the button was gone until a day or two later, but those 'happy new owner' pictures I took as soon as the figure came out of the box show that either the button fell off straight away or that it was never there.

I do think that with figures this expensive Big Chief are either going to have to come up with a satisfactory button attachment solution -cause all Doctors will have plenty of buttons - or include spares with the figures and sell spares on the website! Most buttons will be too small to sew on so I'm not sure what else they can do except offer plenty of spares. Quality control from their offices aren't always going to notice missing buttons on the back, and if they are selling through third party places, like they did with the Matt Smith and Amy figures, there are many more chances for things to go wrong before the customer gets the figure in hand.

The buttons on Tom are much better but since getting Matt one cuff button fell off Tom's jacket when I was putting his hand in his pocket. I glued it back on no problems. I only have two other sixth scale figures, the '89 Batman and Joker, but the Joker's buttons are sewn on and after a year I've had no problems. I've changed between coats and everything is fine. I thought I was being pretty delicate in my handling of the Doctors (like I said, I've built a few fragile plastic tanks and soldiers in my time), but I can see I am going to have to be much more careful with these, and never put my hands anywhere near the buttons if I can help it!

From what I hear of Big Chief's customer service I am not overly worried, and I'm sure they will offer a solution if one is possible. It won't stop me buying an future Doctors (as long as the prices don't go even higher!), but I will be checking those buttons first thing when I open the box!

To keep things on topic with the Tom, I have noticed that you can have him stand there and not look like Tom at all, but then if you give him the slightest Tom body language - slightly hunched forward, or a certain hand gesture - suddenly there is Tom Baker in miniature on your shelf. The expression can look sad, serious, or whimsical depending on how you pose him. Tom had that mock serious look sometimes when he was being funny. Right now I have him in the famous 'City of Death' publicity photo pose, arm extended with the fingers out (wrong jacket, I know). Looks great! Big Chief obviously anticipated all the classic poses. He's had the right hands for some Ark In Space 'indomitable **** sapiens' speaking the the ceiling, or some 'Pyramids of Mars' hands-in-pocket brooding (obviously, as that's what the head sculpt and costume were based on!), and some 'City of Death' jazz hands. And let us never forget the shushing finger.

RE: The Key to Time bubbles. Of course we have to discuss this! It was a fault. It was not as advertised. I myself am not bothered at all by the bubbles, like many posters here, but it is technically a flaw in an otherwise great figure, so of course we should mention it. If Big Chief was not a relatively new company and we weren't all so behind them and hoping for their success and looking forward to their future projects, many would be rather more harsh, I suspect. Can you imagine if Hot Toys released an accessory like that? There would be forum rioting. And it still, in essence, it wouldn't be a big deal, really. But it's useful to point these things out. The better every Big Chief release is, the better a reputation they get, the better the company does, and the more quality Doctor Who stuff they can release. And the good reviews are only going to keep coming if Big Chief are aware of the constructive criticisms and learn from them. I think by pointing out valid mistakes in an otherwise great figure we are actually helping Big Chief (and ourselves, as future customers). You can be a fan and a supporter and still make them aware of valid errors - in fact, it makes you a better supporter.

I decided to make a few minor changes to my 4th Doctor. I started by using some Fixit Sculpt to widen his lower jaw:

Man your repaint looks so good. What paints/technique did you use? I keep getting more and more tempted to give this a go. Though I'm afraid to screw it up. Maybe I should find someone talented who can repaint it for me. LOL.

Thanks! I used vallejo paints. After I mixed the correct color, I used it at full opacity on the newly sculpted parts, and then I gradually added more water to the paint as I blended it in to the existing paint. By the time I got up to his mid-cheekbone, the paint was very watery, and my coats were very thin. I don't have a lot of experience painting 1/6 scale figures, but this technique worked for me.

Cool, that makes a lot of sense. If I get the courage up, I might try that. :)

I should also mention that I did a lot of sanding to blend the sculpted area into the existing head. I started with a 300 grit sandpaper, then moved to 400, 600, 800, and finally 1000. I just put on an episode of Doctor Who while I worked, and the time flew by. :)

wow luke314pi incredible improvements, looks perfect to me, skin color the beefier face all of it, skarf darker.... perfect. well done *claps*

bahhhh missed delivery of my tom today!:panic:
do i sign the door tag and wait till tomorrow or drive across town to pick up tonight? i think i know the answer to that... ;)

Sorry to go totally offtopic but can anyone tell me where I can find a thread about the retro kenner style six million dollar man figures? Sorry to ask here but I totally can't find my way around this new site and have no idea how to search anything here! Thanks.

Back