Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

My spare Tom arrived today. I'll post pics comparing it with the repaint and the PE prototype over the weekend.

The key to time has bubbles in both of mine. The bubbles don't bother me but the 5 o'clock shadow does as it makes him look like a drunken wino. I agree that the quality of the figure doesn't match the price, but Tennants figure is pretty much spot on. Still I think they'd do Troughton well as he's the other Dr who a 5 o'clock shadow wouldn't look unusual on. I suspect they'll all have one which would look particularly bad on Davison.

I'll also dig out my Scaroth custom which is embarrassingly bad but I might resculpt the head and replace it. Still it'll raise a laugh.

I don't think the 5 o'clock shadow will be an issue with any more classic Doctors. BCS seemed to have heard us loud and clear. At least, I hope not.

Ok, had a chance to play around with Tom for a couple of minutes. Initial thoughts...

Body - Looser than a $5 whore
Sculpt - Love the expression, hate the 5 o'clock shadow. Looks like he's on a 3 day bender.
Tailoring - Nice, but the coat flares out too much.
Stand - Lights work fine.
Key to Time - Full of ugly bubbles, of course, but I'll never use it anyway.

Having briefly owned the Matt Smith figure, I'd have to say that one felt just a little nicer. Am I glad I got this? Of course, it's Tom and it's signed by the man himself. Do I think it's worth what I paid? No way.

Just a quick and dirty pic.

005_zpsdf93204b.jpg

On the whole I agree with you TOM. Seriously though, where in the process of R&D did Tom pick up that 5 0'clock shadow? :lol

EDIT: Just got an automated response from BC. That's a step up right there!

"Thank you for contacting BIG Chief Studios Ltd. support.

Your custom is important to us and we aim to respond to your email within 72 hours.

Please note at this time of year, we are especially busy and as such responses might be subject to delay. We thank you for bearing with us as we work our way through the correspondence.

Kind regards
The BIG Chief Team"

I got that email response around the 4th of the month and haven't heard anything since. Whomever is in charge of CS emails at BCS needs to be sacked.

Got my fedex tracking for Tom. :yess:

Oklahoma, US. Paid on the 1st, shipped today, supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Awesome! I paid for mine on the 28th of December and hadn't heard a thing, I'm hoping mine arrives soon. I didn't get a FedEx tracking but then again I never got one for Tennant either.

i think they are trying very hard to push the realism of the paint and compete with hot toys and its obviously not working. the skin is too peachy or orange on 10 and 4 when compared to pics of the actors as well i think. if it was more subtle the orange and the 5'oclock then yeah that would work but its overdone, i think as they progress these issues wont be prevalent, def growing pains in terms of working with the factories etc, at least i think so.

super stoked to get my 4th hope its soon!

That is actually a good point. One of the things I actually was disappointed by was that the body color doesn't match the paint. They need to start casting the bodies in tones that match the paint jobs.

As I've had a little more time to play around with him, I can say overall I am pleased with him. It's not the best it possibly could be, or even should be for the price, but it is still a lovely figure.

Oh, and let me just say, this is, by far and away, the easiest figure to swap hands on I've ever seen. Absolutely no fear of breaking a wrist peg here. That is one area where Tom is a vast improvement over the Matt Smith figure. That thing was a right bastard to swap the hands on.

i think they are trying very hard to push the realism of the paint and compete with hot toys and its obviously not working. the skin is too peachy or orange on 10 and 4 when compared to pics of the actors as well i think. if it was more subtle the orange and the 5'oclock then yeah that would work but its overdone, i think as they progress these issues wont be prevalent, def growing pains in terms of working with the factories etc, at least i think so.

super stoked to get my 4th hope its soon!

It's a matter of opinion but I didn't find my Ten too orange and I usually jump straight onto anything like that. In pics it looked a little orange but in hand I found it quite lifelike and vivid. The only problem is the stubble being slightly too dark and apparently they're on to that for future releases.

Spent a little time today futzing with Tom. The scarf isn't as much of a pain as I was expecting, I like being able to give it a little dramatic flourish. If the lower part of the coat were just a bit more fitted, the tailoring would be perfect. Too bad they didn't wire the hem like they did with Tennant, that might have helped.

BCTom_zpscf7c5dbd.jpg

I did think it was kind of strange they didn't wire his hem, either.

I did think it was kind of strange they didn't wire his hem, either.

Yeah, if you could just put some strategic folds in there it would really help to take away that skirt effect. What would have been really fun is if they'd sewn a little wire into the cravat so you could put some folds in there too.

I ended up using top stick to rein in the flare.

damn, on Fb BCS ignore mine and another question about our 4th doc orders and lack of any info in regard to when they ship and in my case receiving a email confirming a print order not the 4th doc order i actually made.... but they are happy to answer a question about a new product they will have for sale(11th doc vinyl). not enjoying this as a customer right now, not at all. dont like giving someone a huge sum of money and they being ignored.

cmon BCS, cmon.... sigh

hopefully i will have word via email tomorrow.

until then im off to have some cheese with my whine ;)

:yess:

just got a reply from BCS, my 4th doc is shipping tomorrow. stoked to get in-hand! woohoooooo

Glad you heard back from them. I still haven't heard anything about my replacement head for Ten. Time to email them again. It might have fallen through the cracks after their system went down last week.

Glad you heard back from them. I still haven't heard anything about my replacement head for Ten. Time to email them again. It might have fallen through the cracks after their system went down last week.

Yeah, I haven't heard back about my missing button that I've e-mailed about twice since December 14th.

Is that actually an issue that deserves a replacement? Not asking you this question in any way that's hostile, just that glued on buttons do fall off and there doesn't seem to be a glue strong enough to stop it. Certainly a number of small buttons on 11 fell off, but didn't really ruin the figure for me. But please, if you think I'm wrong then put me straight! It's perfectly valid to say that at this price everything should be perfect.

I'm glad that the buttons on Ten's suit jacket seemed to be sewed on.

I got the impression that thedarkknight wasn't so much after a whole replacement coat but a replacement lost button? That's how I'd do it anyway, request a new button and glue it on myself.

Back