Big Ass Watches

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Watch Thread

I picked up the Bulova Moon Watch today. It's a near-exact replica of the Bulova watch that Capt. Dave Scott wore on the Moon, on the Apollo 15 mission in 1971. The story goes, that Scott's NASA approved Omega Speedmaster watch broke during flight, so he opted to use his own personal Bulova watch as a backup. The original watch sold for around 1.5 Million dollars last year. But, you can pick up the commemorative re-released version for $560, or around $380 on sale (as I did with Macy's). It's reportedly limited to 1,500 pieces worldwide.

It's too bad I can't test this in a vacuum under sub-freezing conditions :lol.

29195827434_18817d6294_b.jpg

29530632260_c505927caf_b.jpg

29195827234_7701b6033b_b.jpg

Bulova also provided a nato strap with the date of the Apollo 15 Mission.

29195827344_1ab065721e_b.jpg

The case of the watch measures around 45mm, and my wrist size is 6.75 inches. The watch is VERY flat and it practically floats at the top of my wrist. But, it's way more proportioned than it appears like in the photo. It's one of the most comfortable watches I've worn so far. It fits really nicely in a dress shirt, too. However, I will change out the leather strap for either a bracelet, or a cheaper nato strap (given the limited nature of the release, I don't feel like using the one that Bulova provided).

29196076364_56fcc56e8d_b.jpg

That's nice. I kinda got taken aback by the cost, but then again it is a replica based on a NASA mission so I understand. I haven't worn a watch for years. I used to feel naked without one.

It's actually waaaayyy cheaper than the Omega Speedmaster "Man on the Moon" watch :lol. I really need one of those...

I picked up the Bulova Moon Watch today. It's a near-exact replica of the Bulova watch that Capt. Dave Scott wore on the Moon, on the Apollo 15 mission in 1971. The story goes, that Scott's NASA approved Omega Speedmaster watch broke during flight, so he opted to use his own personal Bulova watch as a backup. The original watch sold for around 1.5 Million dollars last year. But, you can pick up the commemorative re-released version for $560, or around $380 on sale (as I did with Macy's). It's reportedly limited to 1,500 pieces worldwide.

It's too bad I can't test this in a vacuum under sub-freezing conditions :lol.

29195827434_18817d6294_b.jpg

29530632260_c505927caf_b.jpg

29195827234_7701b6033b_b.jpg

Bulova also provided a nato strap with the date of the Apollo 15 Mission.

29195827344_1ab065721e_b.jpg

The case of the watch measures around 45mm, and my wrist size is 6.75 inches. The watch is VERY flat and it practically floats at the top of my wrist. But, it's way more proportioned than it appears like in the photo. It's one of the most comfortable watches I've worn so far. It fits really nicely in a dress shirt, too. However, I will change out the leather strap for either a bracelet, or a cheaper nato strap (given the limited nature of the release, I don't feel like using the one that Bulova provided).

29196076364_56fcc56e8d_b.jpg

That is pretty sweet. I'll have to ask my dad what watches he has. He spends an absolutely ridiculous amount on watches. I know he has some that were a few thousand a piece. I don't really say anything about it though considering what I spend my money on. :lol

Man, that sounds incredible! I only have six at the moment :rotfl.

Like I was telling Ryan, I'm not sure how far I'd want to take this. Mostly, I needed some time-pieces to go with my dress shirts and the ones I bought are fitting pretty nicely with casual wear, too. Although, I'm thoroughly enjoying the learning process, and reading about the horology of different watches. There are so many different types of watches out there that can fit any budget, it's pretty awesome.

This thread has reawakened my desire for a watch :slap

Ordered...

View attachment 294132

Damn you Solidus! :lol

You're welcome! :lol I recently got back into watches, myself, and I don't know how I ever got by without them for so long. Having a watch just brings out the best in your outfits, for whatever you're wearing. You can also appreciate the workmanship and the movements behind the watch hands. Enjoy it! I like the combination of digital readouts and the manual hands on that one :rock

This thread reminded me of this video.

I like how RDJ just tosses all of his super-expensive watches on the floor :rotfl.

Pretty good video on the history of Rolex. As everyone knows, their price range makes them only affordable to super-rich bastards. But, their workmanship and art-form is unparalleled.

Maybe one day I'll get my dad's Rolex, not super duper expensive but around 10-12k I think.

I went through Bloomingdales and looked at the Tag Monanco. They had two versions, $5300 & $5900... not anytime soon for me. Looking at this thread I may look for a nice steel watch at some point.

Maybe one day I'll get my dad's Rolex, not super duper expensive but around 10-12k I think.

I went through Bloomingdales and looked at the Tag Monanco. They had two versions, $5300 & $5900... not anytime soon for me. Looking at this thread I may look for a nice steel watch at some point.

That's actually... not that bad for a Rolex, but it's still around 1/4 of my annual salary :lol.

To me, steel bands fit the best once they're sized correctly.

Looked at the recent Tags in a local store today.
Really didn't like their styles.

I can't say that I like the style of their watches, either.

I returned a few of my Invictas (definitely not fond of the brand) and picked this up today for an extremely massive discount at Macy's.

I'm also waiting for a few Orient dive watches to go back in stock in October at Long Island Watch.

This Orient Moderno looks absolutely beautiful and for the price, it's pretty awesome at $169. I got a 10% coupon, I might bite on it soon.

Received my Casio Mudmaster this morning and absolutely love it!

I had my Tag Heuer for several years but only wore it a handful of times. Was worried about scratching such an expensive watch.
This looks like it would survive a nuclear strike :lol

Haven't got a clue how to work it, can't even set the time & date, and haven't had time to read the huge booklet :dunno
As thought the thermometer is useless while wearing the watch.

On a side note: I'm on day four cigarette free after nearly 30 smoking one thing or another :wink1:
Vape is working a treat.

mudmaster, outdoor sports in the mud stuff and as a military field watch. for tough conditions.

Received my Casio Mudmaster this morning and absolutely love it!

I had my Tag Heuer for several years but only wore it a handful of times. Was worried about scratching such an expensive watch.
This looks like it would survive a nuclear strike :lol

Haven't got a clue how to work it, can't even set the time & date, and haven't had time to read the huge booklet :dunno
As thought the thermometer is useless while wearing the watch.

On a side note: I'm on day four cigarette free after nearly 30 smoking one thing or another :wink1:
Vape is working a treat.

Congrats! That is a great line of watches that will last a lifetime.

There's one I want, but I'm waiting on some free amazon gift cards to redeem as part of my credit union card perks, to lower it down a bit:

34e59922c388f87d736435230fcdd4f1.png

Back