Big Ass Watches

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Watch Thread

I used to think pocket watches were cool, too, when I was younger and used to have to wear a suit. But I never got one.

Unrelated to this thread, but related to men's accessories, I stop using a wallet 20-25 years ago, using a money clip instead. But as a father of three, I hardly have any money to put in my money clip.

I used to think pocket watches were cool, too, when I was younger and used to have to wear a suit. But I never got one.

Unrelated to this thread, but related to men's accessories, I stop using a wallet 20-25 years ago, using a money clip instead. But as a father of three, I hardly have any money to put in my money clip.

I picked up a silver Longines pocket watch 10+ years ago. I never really carried it with me but used it for breathing/meditation exercises on the advice of a friend. It worked out well enough and I break it out every so often for the same purpose.

I've thought about a money clip too, but what about all your plastic? I wouldn't carry a walllet or phone if i didn't have too.

Our money is going the plastic route.
Got my first plastic note today...

20160916_205900.jpg

I've thought about a money clip too, but what about all your plastic? I wouldn't carry a walllet or phone if i didn't have too.

I don't carry much plastic, so money clip with my cash in my right pocket, plastic in my left pocket (usually only driver's license and my debit card...credit card if I need to make a large purchase, or if I plan to make a purchase at a new vendor a la food trucks in the city). Added bonus is that I don't need to worry about pick pockets.

And as clarification to my original statement, "I used to think pocket watches were cool"...it sort of implies I no longer think they're cool. I still do, but since I have no need to wear a three piece suit anymore, I have no reason to get one.

Not cool!, :lol. Yah, carrying one seemed more trouble than it's worth (than and now) but still a nice time piece.

I think I I'll try the clip and just reduce what I needd to carry daily. Like you said it's really just ID and debt-atm mostly.

Give it a try. I think you'll like it. Like I said, it's been 20-25 years since I carried a wallet (I'm 41 now) but I do remember them being pretty bulky. And after a while, the wallet distorts the shape of your back pocket.

And yeah, watches, LOL. If I didn't have kids, I'd get myself a nice Omega.

MRG-121T-1A.png

mr. g 121t

almost a grand when it came out in the 90's. couldn't afford it then.
i got it, for almost $80 second hand a year ago.lolz
was looking for the eric clapton version, which was black titanium but no luck.
no other gimmicks, and other **** i dont use. lolz

I’ve switched to a very small minimal wallet for plastic and cash separate system that’s been working for me. The wallet is really just a sleeve to only fit CCs stacked tightly together. I started thinking about switching wallets when I saw a web ad for Bellroy slim wallets, which has you stack the credit cards neatly on top of each other instead of staggering them like traditional wallets do with their many pockets. But that staggering makes the wallet bulge very awkwardly and I was finding that sitting on such a bulky wallet was starting to hurt me in my old age. My old wallet would have been too big to put in my front pocket, so that Bellroy wallet intrigued me. Soon after that, I found a perfect small wallet at a Coach outlet, which is the one I have now that’s basically just a sleeve. So I keep 5-6 CCs, medical insurance card and driver’s license in that in my left front pocket, and keep just some cash loose in my right pocket. It’s worked out great.

As for wallets, I usually stick to Fossil, front-pocket wallets. I could never get used to putting my wallet in the back pocket, feels so weird when sitting down :lol.

MRG-121T-1A.png

mr. g 121t

almost a grand when it came out in the 90's. couldn't afford it then.
i got it, for almost $80 second hand a year ago.lolz
was looking for the eric clapton version, which was black titanium but no luck.
no other gimmicks, and other **** i dont use. lolz

That's a pretty good price. Been meaning to ask, is that a left-handed watch?

I never use a wallet. Debit Card with some notes folded around it.
This crappy plastic money doesn't fold properly :gah:

Figured as much. Some relatives from Canada visited last year, and they brought over some $100 bills that were part plastic, part paper. It's not like the tough plastic that you're using in the U.K. It's more akin to the plastic from anti-static bags :cuckoo:. No idea how those will be able to stand the test of time...

His watch looks pretty beaten up, and he bought it used, so I doubt it :lol.

Besides, I don't think anyone would even consider bootlegging a Casio watch. The luxury brands are a different story, of course.

I picked up the Bulova Moon Watch today. It's a near-exact replica of the Bulova watch that Capt. Dave Scott wore on the Moon, on the Apollo 15 mission in 1971. The story goes, that Scott's NASA approved Omega Speedmaster watch broke during flight, so he opted to use his own personal Bulova watch as a backup. The original watch sold for around 1.5 Million dollars last year. But, you can pick up the commemorative re-released version for $560, or around $380 on sale (as I did with Macy's). It's reportedly limited to 1,500 pieces worldwide.

It's too bad I can't test this in a vacuum under sub-freezing conditions :lol.

29195827434_18817d6294_b.jpg

29530632260_c505927caf_b.jpg

29195827234_7701b6033b_b.jpg

Bulova also provided a nato strap with the date of the Apollo 15 Mission.

29195827344_1ab065721e_b.jpg

The case of the watch measures around 45mm, and my wrist size is 6.75 inches. The watch is VERY flat and it practically floats at the top of my wrist. But, it's way more proportioned than it appears like in the photo. It's one of the most comfortable watches I've worn so far. It fits really nicely in a dress shirt, too. However, I will change out the leather strap for either a bracelet, or a cheaper nato strap (given the limited nature of the release, I don't feel like using the one that Bulova provided).

29196076364_56fcc56e8d_b.jpg

I wear an all-black 'Black Rebel' Swatch every now and then.

I picked up the Bulova Moon Watch today. It's a near-exact replica of the Bulova watch that Capt. Dave Scott wore on the Moon, on the Apollo 15 mission in 1971. The story goes, that Scott's NASA approved Omega Speedmaster watch broke during flight, so he opted to use his own personal Bulova watch as a backup. The original watch sold for around 1.5 Million dollars last year. But, you can pick up the commemorative re-released version for $560, or around $380 on sale (as I did with Macy's). It's reportedly limited to 1,500 pieces worldwide.

It's too bad I can't test this in a vacuum under sub-freezing conditions :lol.

That's such a slick looking time piece! You must be over the moon now! #badpuns

Back