BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how normal is the side to side sway on besta?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I bought the Tall Besta and installed 3 Sindvik doors along with 3 Shelves spaced between 3 doors. Also installed the included small discs as the feet. Placed on Tile floor against wall. While empty with doors closed without much effort push from left to right noticing right away a sway.

Please note all new Besta come with Plastic Cams. At this point I would suggest mounting them properly to a Wall stud. I returned the Tall Besta and went with the 47" wide 2 cube Bestas which are solid when built and can stack in different arrangements. Problem is they don't fit larger Statues like Hulk Maquette, or Comic Superman.

I like using the single 47" wide Besta to line my walls with them as a mantel, and place the Statue on top. Love the open look instead of when I place a statue inside with Door closed.

Hope this helps a little. Just providing advise from my own personal experience.

/

I bought the Tall Besta and installed 3 Sindvik doors along with 3 Shelves spaced between 3 doors. Also installed the included small discs as the feet. Placed on Tile floor against wall. While empty with doors closed without much effort push from left to right noticing right away a sway.

Please note all new Besta come with Plastic Cams. At this point I would suggest mounting them properly to a Wall stud. I returned the Tall Besta and went with the 47" wide 2 cube Bestas which are solid when built and can stack in different arrangements. Problem is they don't fit larger Statues like Hulk Maquette, or Comic Superman.

I like using the single 47" wide Besta to line my walls with them as a mantel, and place the Statue on top. Love the open look instead of when I place a statue inside with Door closed.

Hope this helps a little. Just providing advise from my own personal experience.

/

:duff im going to try replacing the cams next week i have some metal ones at work, not sure what possess them to use plastic ones. I thought they may have swayed a little less once shelves were in but nope :/. Sturdy enough mind and im not exactly going to be wobbling it all day but still would be nice to be solid but can't expect much from particle board i suppose. Just checking i didn't get a mishapen one or anything.

:duff im going to try replacing the cams next week i have some metal ones at work, not sure what possess them to use plastic ones. I thought they may have swayed a little less once shelves were in but nope :/. Sturdy enough mind and im not exactly going to be wobbling it all day but still would be nice to be solid but can't expect much from particle board i suppose. Just checking i didn't get a mishapen one or anything.

Yeah the only good thing I see using plastic cams is if you bought the White Besta like I did they come with white Cams. So they look nicer becuase the Cams blend in instead of the silver. From an engineering perspective I would like them to go back to Metal cams and provide white or Black/Brown stickers to cover up the cams.

Just so you know I also used the special mounts that came with the Tall Besta to use with Two Shelves. I placed the Shelves in exact location as instructions using the mounts which are supposed to help lock in shelves and I still had the sway from left to right while on my Tile floor. If you look at the instructions they even tell you the Tall Besta will sway left to right without the use of these mounts and a minimum of Two shelves.

Oh well, the instructions tell you many times to secure to wall using anchors or stud. Once you do that the swaying will be gone which takes the liability away from Ikea.

/

I'm gonna be going to Ikea this weekend and have my premium formats all over the place and my 1/6scale figures in a detlof,can anybody suggest the best way to go about continuing to display 6 premium format figures,the biggest on being Lobo which at the top point of his gun is at 28..5 inches. If i cam mix up my 1/6 scale figures with my premium formats wouldn't be the goal but to display them separately. Another detlof for just 1/6 scale figures,actually 2 detlofs would be good for them,but then looking to include my premium formats in the same area. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. Open to any suggestions. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I was at IKEA the other day looking at some options, including the Hemnes. Came to the conclusion that it's not deep enough for a lot of premium formats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Col said, Bestas are the favored line for a reason. They're just so modular. The Hemnes look nice, though. And I found a very quaint bench/stand to go between two towers that, with the Hemnes, would have looked ace. Plus the Hemnes looked like they had optional full-height glass doors.

Has anybody here tried wall mounting a Besta two-square unit and removing the middle wall to make one horizontally long unit?

Unfortunately not

Should I go buy some sindviks then? Would it look weird with the top two sindviks and the ones below it tombo?

Just don't want to have no doors!

Last edited:
Any pics or are they in your collection thread? Glassvik are £20 dearer than sindvik aren't they?

Has anybody here tried wall mounting a Besta two-square unit and removing the middle wall to make one horizontally long unit?

The Besta 47" wide 2 square unit gets its strength from the middle wall and slide in back pieces.

Please note to assemble you place the middle wall in first then you slide each a right and left backer board into the middle and end walls which ties it all together. I feel if you were to remove the middle support wall along with the backer cardboard you would lose all the strength and it would want to fall apart.

PLus also note that you need two besta wall mount suspension rails to mount the Single 47" wide besta. This is because the suspension rails are placed between the left and center wall and right and center wall. So if you want to use the Ikea install system you need the middle wall.

/

Thanks lotus, it feels like perhaps I'll need to find a way to reinforce the cabinet then.

Regarding your comment about the Ikea mounting system, wouldn't I be able to just use the suspension railings without the middle wall if I ensure that the unit doesn't slide sideways? The unit would still be supported by the end corners. Unless you're saying the middle walls need to be there in order to attach the unit to the railing, which I'm not sure is the case.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks lotus, it feels like perhaps I'll need to find a way to reinforce the cabinet then.

Regarding your comment about the Ikea mounting system, wouldn't I be able to just use the suspension railings without the middle wall if I ensure that the unit doesn't slide sideways? The unit would still be supported by the end corners. Unless you're saying the middle walls need to be there in order to attach the unit to the railing, which I'm not sure is the case.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

The suspension rail is 24" wide you need two kits for a single 47" besta. You take one suspension rail kit and it inserts using plastic make ends into the hole of the left wall and right center wall. The combination of the insertion of the plastic mounts into the left and right center wall plus attaching to a wall stud give the stability to hang on wall.

I think you should go to ikea to look at the suspension rail pack before buying.

Hey Imperial, do you happen to have a pic comparing the shade of white between the old and new bestas? I'm thinking of picking up another white besta but I may reconsider if the new white stands out too much.

Sadly, no. I've been begging anyone and everyone to post pictures if possible, as IKEA said the difference is noticeable, but so far, no luck.

So WTF are they changing with the Besta line NOW?

The suspension rail is 24" wide you need two kits for a single 47" besta. You take one suspension rail kit and it inserts using plastic make ends into the hole of the left wall and right center wall. The combination of the insertion of the plastic mounts into the left and right center wall plus attaching to a wall stud give the stability to hang on wall.

I think you should go to ikea to look at the suspension rail pack before buying.

Thanks for all the info lotus, and the patience. I went to Ikea and looked. I think I understand the installation procedure now.

I'm still wondering, though, because the top and bottom of the 2-unit cabinet are long wood panels, if I attach the plastic mounts in the two end top corners without the middle wall, I'm not sure I understand how the unit would come off the wall or fall down. Here's a picture for guidance. Imagine the two opposite corners are securely attached to the railings (which are attached to the studs). Kind of like if I drove two large bolts in those two corners into the studs.

Also, I'm not sure if the railings provide support to the top panel even if it's not attached to the middle corners, as I don't know if the whole panel hangs over the railings or if all the support is only at the corners where it's attached. If it does rest fully on the railings then that would make for an even more convincing case.

besta_hypothetical.jpg

Thanks for all the info lotus, and the patience. I went to Ikea and looked. I think I understand the installation procedure now.

I'm still wondering, though, because the top and bottom of the 2-unit cabinet are long wood panels, if I attach the plastic mounts in the two end top corners without the middle wall, I'm not sure I understand how the unit would come off the wall or fall down. Here's a picture for guidance. Imagine the two opposite corners are securely attached to the railings (which are attached to the studs). Kind of like if I drove two large bolts in those two corners into the studs.

Also, I'm not sure if the railings provide support to the top panel even if it's not attached to the middle corners, as I don't know if the whole panel hangs over the railings or if all the support is only at the corners where it's attached. If it does rest fully on the railings then that would make for an even more convincing case.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Take a look at page 6 of the Suspension rail installation instructions. They show install for a Single Besta cube. Each suspension rail comes with two of the push in plastic mounting brackets. You will buy two of the suspension rail kits which will give you four of the Plastic mounting brackets. You will insert the mount to the outer left where you have circled in red and center beam right. You will repeat on the right side of Besta, outer right where red circle is and center right.

The actual metal rail is mounted to the wall stud and if you have the 47" wide besta you use a connecting metal bar to connect the two 24" suspension rail kits to make the metal rail the length of your best wide cabinet.

The Besta itself will rest on the metal rail using the four plastic clips you installed into the besta corners and center beam. A bolt is placed through the besta backboard through the plastic clip which is already hung on the metal bar which is secured to stud.

If you remove the center piece, you will lose two of the four mounting points. The metal rail will be there on your wall, but the besta will not having a way to hold the center weight.

Please also note without the center piece the left and right backboard will also lose its strength because it slides into the center to lock into place.

All you can do at this point is buy the 5.00 x 2 suspension rail packs and take home to play around with. Everything you are doing is against the Ikea build policy.

Thank you Lotus! Your help has been invaluable. I will play around with it and try to find a way to reinforce it to make it work.

Guys, I need help. I read through some of the pages, but it's just too much to sift though.

We're moving and I'm looking to display my collection of premium format statues in the new place. What's the best route to go? IKEA? And if so, what's your set up of choice. I have quite a bit to display, so I want something with a lot of room.

Back