BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this from 2 Besta units joined together back to back and added some Perspex where the backing used to be.

So you mean front to front then. ;) Looks good.

I can see one metal tab, but how else is it all held together and how do you open it (safely)?

So you mean front to front then. ;) Looks good.

I can see one metal tab, but how else is it all held together and how do you open it (safely)?

Thanks. Your right I meant front to front. The metal plate showing will be covered eventually, there is one on the opposite side holding it together. To be honest I thought it would be a simple job of joining 2 units together but of course it wasn't :lol It's held together underneath by metal plates which are held in place with the screw in legs so no modifying needed. One of the tops come off for easy access and the whole thing is really strong and sturdy as I have Prime 1 Megatron sitting on top and he hasn't fell through yet.

Last edited:
Big concern for WW PF. She's 25.5" tall. This puts the top hinge of the bottom door right in the way of the shelf support...
I suppose I may be able to put her on the bottom shelf, but that may be disgraceful!

I have my Bats PF on the middle shelf of a 3 cube high besta. I'm still waiting for my Superman. :gah: I was able to free up a little over 26" by lowering the bottom shelf one level, just above the top hinge of my bottom Tombo.

You could always loosen the screws to the top hinge and slide it down from the mark on the frame to accommodate lowering the shelf.

You could always loosen the screws to the top hinge and slide it down from the mark on the frame to accommodate lowering the shelf.

Exactly. The hinges on a Tombo door can be placed anywhere with reason on the frame so long as they line up with holes in the frame.

Very nice! I want to do something like this for my Tumbler but I have no idea how, as I'm no carpenter/engineer. I would love to learn how you did this. I was considering using this underframe https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00134189/ in some way but I don't even know if that will work since the units wouldn't be back-to-back/front-to-front and there wouldn't be enough depth to fit. If you turn off the lights in your displays behind the camera, this might show better without the reflection.

Im considering putting a mirror (1 in back) in the Besta. What are some thoughts on that, yay or nay? And does Ikea make mirrors to fit the Bestas or would I need a custom shop?

Im considering putting a mirror (1 in back) in the Besta. What are some thoughts on that, yay or nay? And does Ikea make mirrors to fit the Bestas or would I need a custom shop?

How are your lights set up? mirror would be bad in my Besta. My lights would be pointing directly in my face.

Very nice! I want to do something like this for my Tumbler but I have no idea how, as I'm no carpenter/engineer. I would love to learn how you did this. I was considering using this underframe https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00134189/ in some way but I don't even know if that will work since the units wouldn't be back-to-back/front-to-front and there wouldn't be enough depth to fit. If you turn off the lights in your displays behind the camera, this might show better without the reflection.

Thanks. I am no carpenter either but a little DIY knowledge would help. It was pretty simple apart from a couple of small issues that were easily overcome and sometimes you have to do a bit of trial and error before getting it right. You might be right about the reflections, I never thought about it at the time as all the lights are on the same remote switch but I just remembered the ones in the table have their own switch on them.

My wife went to Ikea and picked up two more 3-high Besta units for me. I've been spending the weekend putting them together and rearranging my room. It'll be nice having some more display space considering everything I have on preorder. I'm still irritated Ikea discontinued the Tombo doors. I don't want to replace all of the doors I have and mixing & matching may look odd. Luckily, the last time I went to Ikea I found 2 more Tombos in the clearance section, but they are likely the last I'll ever see at a store now.

Back