BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 sets of those in my besta and they work ok ..I had to put in some pieces of wood to help prevent glare from my viewing point as they are pretty bright.

They change color and also pulsate/fade if you are into that scene. You can control multiple strings of them with one remote control as well.

I also found out that if you power them on, and turn off a power strip they are plugged into.. That they can be turned off and on from the power strip .. Bypassing the use of the remote to turn them on and off

I have 3 sets of those in my besta and they work ok ..I had to put in some pieces of wood to help prevent glare from my viewing point as they are pretty bright.

They change color and also pulsate/fade if you are into that scene. You can control multiple strings of them with one remote control as well.

I also found out that if you power them on, and turn off a power strip they are plugged into.. That they can be turned off and on from the power strip .. Bypassing the use of the remote to turn them on and off

How do they all connect? was there enough wire/pieces? do you ever use the color changer?

I got 2 TOMBO doors off of craigslist for $30 each. These are my first TOMBOs I wanted to paint them.

I got a can of this (had to go back for a 2nd can)
20130914_130029_zps3ebf2296.jpg

and painstakingly taped up the glass
20130914_125952_zps6a445b30.jpg

20130914_130016_zpscbb23082.jpg

This was the first coat

20130914_131806_zpscd142d6f.jpg

20130914_131814_zpsd612922d.jpg

This is right after coat 2.5 ( I had to do some touch up.) It looked great when it was dry. It was smooth.

20130915_132226_zps935004d8.jpg

20130915_132253_zps26e22039.jpg

I'll post final pictures when its fully dry.

I also saw this at costco fo $30. Anyone ever use this over the ikea ones? I though it might be cool to change the colors. I just don't like how bleh it looks. The ikea one is incased and looks more professional. Its this one right https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180778/
did they change the color?
20130914_114438_zps2c7d3333.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for posting these pictures. Do you have any of the doors on the Besta? Looks dope dude!

Connecting them all was a bit of a pain in butt that took a while to plan out with the besta. I have the double unit with 6 of the glass doors. I wanted the top left center and right of each of my squares to have lights. The way I configure it had 4 of the sylvania Costco sets with 4 AC adapters .

I actually am planning to get another single besta for 3 more glass door square display areas.. So I'll need to get some more of the sylvanias since I've already got a vested interest in them.

One sucky thing I noticed is that some of the tight corners I used them on to snake around corners have made the ribbon crack in spots. The lights all still work.

So my trip to Ikea ended with two very large Wardrobes. The lights were out of stock so I have to purchase them online or wait till the end of the month to make a trip back. I ended up passing on the door frame. Nothing fancy but I was able to combine three of my Bestas into these two units. Much taller but not nearly as wide. Saved a ton of space. I think I'm going to replace all my Bestas with these PAX units. Great posts to all in the thread. Thanks for cluing me into their existence. I have so much more space in my other cases for upcoming POs

9767425371_739e8d25bf_b.jpg
[/url]image by -Tavegg-[/IMG]

Very nice Tavegg :clap

I plan on doing a similar setup when I can finally afford a bigger place. Just the shelves without doors (unless Ikea comes with doors that fit or something better).

You got some grail pieces there as well, but my eyes keep wandering to the turtles. :)

Btw, how many Besta shelves did you have before to display all those pieces? Sounds like you really concentrated your collection.

Sweet Tav. Love it.

Thanks KingB. It really worked out well. Thanks for the kind words

Very nice Tavegg :clap

I plan on doing a similar setup when I can finally afford a bigger place. Just the shelves without doors (unless Ikea comes with doors that fit or something better).

You got some grail pieces there as well, but my eyes keep wandering to the turtles. :)

Btw, how many Besta shelves did you have before to display all those pieces? Sounds like you really concentrated your collection.

Egel its the only way man. I had five Bestas with six slots for statues in each and they were starting to be strategically placed all over my house.... I really needed this PAX. I still have two more Bestas with statues in them I'd love to consolidate into one PAX unit. This helps keep it clean and more compact. BTW the units were $100 bucks and the shelves were $25 for two. I had a $25 off coupon :yess: so my total before tax for this entire setup was $250!! Just one Besta runs at $169 and I managed to consolidate 3!!:horror

Really nice Tav :clap
Personally I'd get a third unit and spread them out a bit, Some look a bit cramped in there :dunno

Yeah your right buddy. There are some shelves loaded to the max. I had no idea I was going to be able consolidate three whole Bestas. I mainly bought this to fit my larger PFs like Abom and was pleasantly surprised when I knocked two units out and still had tons of space! So I have two more spots in my family room where I have my Bestas right now and they are both going to be replaced with a new PAX. Ill have room for quite some time with the new setup

No Im waiting for it to stop smelling so bad before I put them on. Do paint fumes damage the statues?

Worry about your brain before the statues - the fumes will kill brain cells and attack your nervous system. They won't do anything to the statues. ;)

BTW, the handles on the Tombo doors are removable - it looks like you left them on when painting. Make sure you don't slide them or you'll see the unpainted part underneath - and scratch the paint off where they slide. Also, Tombo doors can be taken apart, which, provided the glass didn't break, would have made painting a lot easier. ;) Anodized aluminum isn't the best surface for taking paint either, so let us know if that Rustoleum did a god job adhering - how scratch/scuff prone is it for instance?

There does not seem to be an easy way to pop the glass out. The frame seems to be held together by the brackets in the corner but I think you would bend something trying to get them out of there. I see that these doors have some slide to them that you can adjust with the screw. Sound I try to center it or push it all the way out or in? The paint seems to hold up well. I'll probably put them on when I get home.

God, wtf doesn't Ikea sell those in black?? So much better! Great work dude. Did they ever lose their smell? How does the paint feel to the touch?

I don't know. I really think they should. doesn't ikea have a suggestion box or something? They don't smell unless you stick your nose to it, so far. Paint feels like paint. Its not sticky if that's what your thinking. Smooth with a very slight grain i guess.

It is such a small aesthetic its hard to imagine which one looks better in your head :gah:. I just wonder what FLAT black would look like....maybe I can do that next time and just go over it with the glossy. Oh and that blue painters tape works really well. Next time I won't over the lips/edges as much and just apply it close edge laying flat on the glass that way I can get more black coverage.

Back