BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like 1:6 pieces :lol

010-funny-animal-gifs-dog-slap_large.gif

Can anyone provide a picture of a single Besta with 3 TOMBO and a Besta with 3 Vassbo? I want to compare them side by side to see what kind of doors I want. If I get the TOMBO I definitely want to paint them black.

Can anyone provide a picture of a single Besta with 3 TOMBO and a Besta with 3 Vassbo? I want to compare them side by side to see what kind of doors I want. If I get the TOMBO I definitely want to paint them black.

I used a mixture because I prefer the Vassbo but they restricted the viewing on the bottom shelf too much so I put the Tombo there.
Hope this helps...

SAM_0618_zps9c324f1c.jpg

SAM_0636_zps8a16e4a0.jpg

I am a complete moron when if comes to this type of stuff. That being said will this set up work if I just buy the full PAX and order acrylic panels to be the same size as the glass inserts? Essentially just remove the frosted glass and replace them with the acrylic?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29931313/#/S8993202

9705192747_0516f32fd8.jpg
[/url]image by -Tavegg-[/IMG]

78 3/4 x 26 x 93 1/8 are the measurements on the website.

I used a mixture because I prefer the Vassbo but they restricted the viewing on the bottom shelf too much so I put the Tombo there.
Hope this helps...

SAM_0618_zps9c324f1c.jpg

SAM_0636_zps8a16e4a0.jpg

how thick is the frame? it does not look like it blocks out much do you have different angles?

Not sure what you want?
IMO the Vassbo are much nicer but, like me, you might have problems viewing items on the bottom, Depends on viewing angle. I only have a reasonably small room.

SAM_0644_zps246d279b.jpg

SAM_0654_zps3cea3cb2.jpg

I am a complete moron when if comes to this type of stuff. That being said will this set up work if I just buy the full PAX and order acrylic panels to be the same size as the glass inserts? Essentially just remove the frosted glass and replace them with the acrylic?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29931313/#/S8993202

9705192747_0516f32fd8.jpg
[/url]image by -Tavegg-[/IMG]

78 3/4 x 26 x 93 1/8 are the measurements on the website.

Can I please get some boardie love from someone that knows their stuff. See repost above... Really want to get one of these but I don't want to pi$$ away a bunch of money if its not going to be this simple.

That being said will this set up work if I just buy the full PAX and order acrylic panels to be the same size as the glass inserts? Essentially just remove the frosted glass and replace them with the acrylic?

Yes. However… While I have tons of experience modding and changing all manner of IKEA furniture over the years, including Pax, I don't have first-hand experience with these specific doors. I'm 100% certain I could do it myself, but I can't say that someone else might not have some difficulties, depending on how the door frames are held together and how the glass is secured.

Before buying any of the IKEA parts or the acrylic, you should check local glass suppliers and find out how much that route will cost. You should try and get the glass thickness specs from IKEA, for width and height just use the door size for the estimates, but get exact sizing before committing to any order. You'll have to do the same thing for acrylic of course.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks man. I've been dying to give this a go. Need more space and these custom PAX setups are the whip. I really appreciate the advice and time. Cheers and wish me luck

I use the Tombo doors and on cubes where the view is cut off by the thick wood frames, I just use a small board that I've covered with black cloth so raise my pieces up about 1-2". You can't tell the board is there and then nothing is blocked by the wood frame of the door.

search is your friend and this is a quick one;)
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117775&highlight=ikea+pax
I have seen this thread or maybe another Pax specific and remember instructions as well

Thanks man. This is the first post that drew me in but the links must be outdated because when I was trying to click on the specific base he was referring to it just brought me the ikea home page. It looks like my best best is to buy the pax and the frame and essentially have the glass or acrylic made to fit the doors. I appreciate the help guys. Going to start at Ikea this weekend with the PAX and doors and hopefully figure out the acrylic from there...,

Thanks man. This is the first post that drew me in but the links must be outdated because when I was trying to click on the specific base he was referring to it just brought me the ikea home page. It looks like my best best is to buy the pax and the frame and essentially have the glass or acrylic made to fit the doors. I appreciate the help guys. Going to start at Ikea this weekend with the PAX and doors and hopefully figure out the acrylic from there...,

Good luck, my man. It's not as difficult as it sounds. Just a couple points of caution:

1. The acrylic panels scratch easily, so be careful when you slide them into the door frames.

2. When you buy the panels, they will likely come with a masking on it to prevent scratches. When you take the masking off, it will statically charge the panel itself...they will pick up all dust and hair within a 10 mile radius. Be careful not to get any "stuff" stuck between the panel and the door frame...it's tough to get out (although, you can slide a piece of paper in there and get some stuff out).

Thanks for the advice man. Hopefully in the next week or so ill have a ill something to share. Appreciate the confidence booster as I'm not your typical handyman by any means but you guys have provided enough direction I think I can pull it off. Cheers B

I got 2 TOMBO doors off of craigslist for $30 each. These are my first TOMBOs I wanted to paint them.

I got a can of this (had to go back for a 2nd can)
20130914_130029_zps3ebf2296.jpg

and painstakingly taped up the glass
20130914_125952_zps6a445b30.jpg

20130914_130016_zpscbb23082.jpg

This was the first coat

20130914_131806_zpscd142d6f.jpg

20130914_131814_zpsd612922d.jpg

This is right after coat 2.5 ( I had to do some touch up.) It looked great when it was dry. It was smooth.

20130915_132226_zps935004d8.jpg

20130915_132253_zps26e22039.jpg

I'll post final pictures when its fully dry.

I also saw this at costco fo $30. Anyone ever use this over the ikea ones? I though it might be cool to change the colors. I just don't like how bleh it looks. The ikea one is incased and looks more professional. Its this one right https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180778/
did they change the color?
20130914_114438_zps2c7d3333.jpg

Back