BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice idea. You do realise that you wont be able to use doors on the top and bottom unit unless they lifted up? Plus the dividing shelves would need fixing in place or they would topple. Fixing the shelves in the bottom unit would also add extra supoort so I don't think you would have any issues as long as you don't load the top with heavy items.
Look forward to your results.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I guess the 2nd option would make more sense then. I would think that having three of (2) would give more support than fixing the dividing shelves for (1), especially since I would also have to think of a way to hold the dividing shelves in place. Guess the Batmobile would be going to the top shelf then.

Lol, hope that the Batmobile would fit in the BESTA. Based on the pictures floating around, the width seems awfully close to the depth of the BESTA. Otherwise, I probably have to have a display case custom-made instead. :(

Hi guys, I'm excited about DIYing my own display with BESTA

Use the Ikea Besta planner available on their site. You can pick from any besta units and support products and place them in the arrangement you want. You will instantly see what fits together.

Also, you shouldn't have a problem with weight if the units are stacked appropriately, and at a minimum, supported the way Ikea recommends.

Batmobile dimensions should be on Hot Toys site - if it's like the Tumbler's specs, they should be liberal, but you can always add a small margin for error.

Use the Ikea Besta planner available on their site. You can pick from any besta units and support products and place them in the arrangement you want. You will instantly see what fits together.

Also, you shouldn't have a problem with weight if the units are stacked appropriately, and at a minimum, supported the way Ikea recommends.

Batmobile dimensions should be on Hot Toys site - if it's like the Tumbler's specs, they should be liberal, but you can always add a small margin for error.

Thanks! Just used the Ikea Besta planner but it didn't allow me to rotate the unit. May I know what's the interior dimensions of the BESTA?

My wall-mount (shallow depth) Besta has interior dimensions of 22.25"W x 22.75"H for each side with a hair under 7.25" Depth - it's a double-wide unit with fixed divider in the middle.

Finally Built, lights installed and shifted into my room :rock:rock, i actually prefer their look andbuild quality to My detolfs.

I now finally have a display undermy TV. I've been Wanting to do it for yonks.

20130706_222242.jpg

(ignore the pillows lol)

I've just started adding glass shelves to the shallow Besta I posted an image of above - so far only 4 because that's all they had in stock at the IKEA I was able to visit yesterday. Eventually it will be 7 per side, for a total of 14, but I'm currently somewhat stuck on how to best apply the lighting.

The shelves will feature diecast cars of various scales plus their boxes. The shelves will more than likely be placed sloping down to the front of the cabinet, something I've tested today. The doors have very thin frames and overlap the cabinet frame too much to consider hiding the lighting on them. The goals for lighting are sufficient illumination to see all the shelves, plus hiding the light source so as not to see the LEDs - at the very least so there's little to no light spillage out of the cabinet and no chance of getting light in the eyes. ;)

Dude, that iron man bust really needs it's own little besta ;)! Or maybe it doesn't fit?
Actually decided to get the besta cabinets, starting with 2 or 4, and after a while i will add some glass doors!

I had it inside. But I really feel that a bust is best displayed out in the open and not squeezed inside a small compartment.

:)

I had it inside. But I really feel that a bust is best displayed out in the open and not squeezed inside a small compartment.

I would have to agree as well. My Iron Man busts are in my Besta, mainly to keep dust and temperature extremes to a minimum (flaking risk).

But for a month or so, I had an Iron Man bust displayed in the open (ended up returning that one) and it was awesome. So much more presence in the open air.

Well, then you need to add some nice lighting on top of it! ;)
A lack shelf or something and a led under or something! =) something something!

Well, then you need to add some nice lighting on top of it! ;)
A lack shelf or something and a led under or something! =) something something!

That could be cool. My dream would be two small LEDs in front of him, from underneath. One on each side. That would look cool.

I wanted more light than a dioder or similar puck could provide.. So I ended up going with connected strips of sylvania lights that I got from Costco. They are bright enough but are quite distracting from my sitting area.

I wanted to see the figures lit up..rather than the glare of the lights themselves. Thus began a much too labor intensive process where I found wood trim pieces..painted them the same dark shade of my besta.. Mounted each LED strip to each specific piece (so I could rotate the wood trim/LED strip for a different spotlight effect)

I also had to route the strips and the adapter wirings in such a way that I could turn on 4 separate units with one sylvania remote.

Overall I am happy with the results..but it was much trickier than I thought it would be. The besta glass shelves allow for great figure illumination on the back row..but figures standing in front of the shelf don't get enough light.

a55e5b6163803bc7bf78d453251c4f84_zps8f42dda5.jpg

I wanted more light than a dioder or similar puck could provide.. So I ended up going with connected strips of sylvania lights that I got from Costco. They are bright enough but are quite distracting from my sitting area.

I wanted to see the figures lit up..rather than the glare of the lights themselves. Thus began a much too labor intensive process where I found wood trim pieces..painted them the same dark shade of my besta.. Mounted each LED strip to each specific piece (so I could rotate the wood trim/LED strip for a different spotlight effect)

I also had to route the strips and the adapter wirings in such a way that I could turn on 4 separate units with one sylvania remote.

Overall I am happy with the results..but it was much trickier than I thought it would be. The besta glass shelves allow for great figure illumination on the back row..but figures standing in front of the shelf don't get enough light.

a55e5b6163803bc7bf78d453251c4f84_zps8f42dda5.jpg
In the future you may want to try the Inreda lights from Ikea. The way they are set up they attach right to the front of the shelves and are designed that you don't see the LEDs and lights the whole cabinet. You can see an example on the collection thread.

The mirror at the back of that cabinet means you're going to see any lights you might place toward the front - at least from some angles. ;)

And Inreda are pretty visible if you're using thin-framed or frameless glass doors, such as Tombo or the doors on cabinets like Detolf. The best way to hide lights is to get creative like morbidaj has done, and trim them out. Also of consideration should be the use of less and smaller lighting segments.

I forgot I bought some Inreda lights when I got the besta in Chicago (live in Kansas City).. they werent what I was looking for and were too "yellow".. which didnt match my original dioder whites that are in my detolfs.

The lame thing is I rarely turn it on in the first place... oh the sylvanias also are multi colored so you can do reds, greens, blues.. etc.. even pulsating color fades to cause epilepsy.

Back