Best Deals on Curios

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one should I get?

• SKU 20661

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • SKU 20837

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joogle

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey folks, after a recent mishap with my Treebeard, I am looking for a Curio that can hold my entire except probably the larger statues like Sauron, Gandalf on Shadowfax, etc.

I saw one at Macy's which was great wood, cherry colored I believe, for $1000, but that seems too expensive.

I don't want to buy through online stores, simply because it's hard to tell the quality. If you know any stores that hold a good selection please let me know.

I have like 13 statues, and 8 busts, I think.

Thanks.

You could try Ikea if they have a store near you. Or maybe Restoration Hardware but they're usually a bit expensive.

Look around in furniture stores in your area. In south-central Pennsylvania here there's a chain called Wolf Furniture. We picked up a corner curio for my wife's teddies and I went back and picked up a pretty good sized cabinet for my statues. It's over 6 feet tall and about 42 inches wide. There is just one door that slides across the front to give you access to each half of the cabinet. I have all my statues in it except for the Sauron. He's so tall I didn't want to give up a shelf just to fit him in. It wasn't cheap, but it was well below $1,000.

The thing you need to think about is what is the intended application. Do you just want something to display your stuff in or do you want it to blend into your furniture and look good too? In my case, we're going to turn the room it's in into a "library" of sorts by building bookcases around the cabinet, so I wanted it to look like a piece of furniture.

A good deal on a "good" quality curio can EASILY run you over 1K. You get what you pay for.

If your cheap like me you just get some RTA form Ikea. :D

Jesse

I got some IKEA billy shelves and plan to add some custom glass doors to them--instant curio =) I called around for a price quote on the glass doors and they average around 120-150. So each poor man's curio is gonna set me back a total of 200.00 (80 for the ikea billy + 120 for the glass ). For the bigger stuff, I'm going to get the some deeper shelves, which I'm sure ikea carries as well, and do the same thing with the custom glass doors.

If not in a rush, you may want to check your local mall and see if any stores are closing shop. Most of the time, they will sell the fixtures as well, which could include curios, display cases and shelving units, for very low prices.

I was able to obtain a nice display case from one of those nature stores that sold those little science lab kits, erector sets and books. The display case I picked up held different types of stones and minerals. Dimensions were H=5' x W=4' x D=18" and came with 5 thick tempered glass shelves with a glass top and glass sliding doors at the front, all in a cherry wood finish, for $100 bucks.

Some of the local Hallmark shops have terrific display cases.

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have a IKEA in Central FL. The Curio, which was called a "Collection Cabinet" seemed top notch, but $1000 seemed way too much. I will probably go back and see which company made it, since I don't know which furniture line Macys employs.

For the PPl that have Curios in their office/library/etc, can you post a pic.

Thanks.

Personally the one I liked was the one at Costco, which has a sliding front and is cherry-colored. It measures around 7' high and 4' wide, and runs around $500. The manufacturer was pretty famous too (Stanley???). Thing is, Costco only sells them around Spring time.

If you live near here this place has unbeatable pricing:

https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/qsearch.pl?cat=40&item=12&total=205&name=Free+Standing

With the shipping all the way to Phoenix it was still cheaper then I could get anyone around here to give me. Otherwise just use it as a reference, they have great curio ideas and really good pictures.

For those who are so inclined I used the Ikea Bonde and they are great. They're the only ones I found at Ikea that were deep enough.

Jesse

Jesseawilson said:

https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/qsearch.pl?cat=40&item=12&total=205&name=Free+Standing

With the shipping all the way to Phoenix it was still cheaper then I could get anyone around here to give me. Otherwise just use it as a reference, they have great curio ideas and really good pictures.

For those who are so inclined I used the Ikea Bonde and they are great. They're the only ones I found at Ikea that were deep enough.

Jesse

That place is only about an hour and a half drive from me. For those who don't know, High Point, NC is the furniture capital of the world. I'll be going to High Point to get the furniture for my collection once I buy my own house in a few years.

elwood49 said:
That place is only about an hour and a half drive from me. For those who don't know, High Point, NC is the furniture capital of the world. I'll be going to High Point to get the furniture for my collection once I buy my own house in a few years.
what elwood said... high point, NC all the big furniture manufacturers are there... they ship to any state and I think it comes out to be something like $1 per lb for shipping... some really great prices for the quality that you get also...

Or you can go with what dealith said... IKEA... take a look at the closet units (PAX systems) but get the glass doors and adjustable shelves... I think it comes out to about $200 a unit (36w x 78h x 19d).

the one you see and Macy or Robinson/May is probably a Pulaski
good luck.

Jesseawilson said:

Jesse

I will second Jesse's recommendation of Furnitureland South. They have 16,000 curio cabinets of every size and style you could imagine. I got a nice big one for $700 shipped all the way to California.

Thanks Jesse - that's a great site.

Is that a franchise or just one store? I could not find one in FL.

Also, I believe I would have to call about the prices, since they weren't listed online.

Unfortunately, we don't have a IKEA here.

Thanks again.

It's just one store I believe. All you have to do to get prices is add the pieces to your design folder and then sibmit the entire folder to them. They will email you the prices. Give them you zip and they will also send you shipping rates...

Jesse

phanatix said:
the one you see and Macy or Robinson/May is probably a Pulaski good luck.
Yeah I was wrong about the one I bought. It's a Pulaski and it cost almost $1,000. It's very nice though, and we wanted something that looks like a nice piece of furniture because of where it's going to be and what we're going to do in that room. If I ever get around to finishing the basement I would probably do something like Ikeas because that would be more of an informal place. I need to move that project along because I'm dying to hang up a bunch of my movie posters. :D

Back