Bergholtz Goes Direct...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darklord Dave said:
It's very disappointing, although I buy a lot of DCD stuff as well. Love what Andy did with the Shazam! head.

If you were a sculptor that could do portrait sculpts that are picked apart by fans and never truly appreciated unless they're perfect (as many of Andy's are :D)

OR

you could interpret comic book characters that don't really have likeness issues - which would you choose?
Lets be realistic here, no matter what the item is people are going to pick it apart, but with that being said I think that SW collectors are pickiest collectors so I can't see it getting worse.

mfoga said:
Lets be realistic here, no matter what the item is people are going to pick it apart, but with that being said I think that SW collectors are pickiest collectors so I can't see it getting worse.

i hope SS is ready for lots of SW criticism

TOE said:
i hope SS is ready for lots of SW criticism

You mean there isn't enough ALREADY? :lol

No, I agree. I'm going to be more critical than ever now that Andy's gone. I'll be ripping the noobs a new one. :D

What? NO! Annnndyyy!!!! Who's gonna sculpt my favourite characters! And who's going to do their hair like you do!:monkey2
On onehand Im so incredibly sad that Sideshow no longer have you working with them, you make anything look brilliant. Being a huge fan of yours I suppose I'm also happy you are continueing down other paths as well.
And maybe you'll actually improve DC Direct far beyond what they produce now. Either that or the paint will muck up your brilliant sculpts.

Happy/Sad.

P.S. You think this means you could get to work on a Batman Statue for me? :lol

Best of luck Andy, and congrats on the new job. Your Hulk and Leia PF's and 12 inch Obi and Anakin will always be some of the best.

That said, SS still has Olaf, the Gore Group, and the insanely talented Trevor. I think we'll still see some amazingly cool (and accurate) SW and LOTR items if Qui Gon, Darth Maul, Boromir, and the upcoming Padme sculpt are any indication.

And I'm sure Adam Hughes won't hurt the Marvel line either.

Now that Andy's SS sculpts are going to be exceedingly more limited, I foresee the Grey Hulk PF going up in value even more. :lol

Man, I hope DC gets some tighter QC on their work then. They take Villafane and get Bergholtz, man, they must have deep pockets.

I won't be too upset unless DC continues to disappoint with their paint ops, and makes any statue that turns out seem more like a surprise than the norm.

Everybody gets their shot at the big leagues, I guess, but man, it does sure make Sideshow look like stepping stone to bigger things.

Maybe Sideshow is going the Gentle Giant route and not showcasing a single sculptor anymore? More the team idea.

I think you bring up a very good point. Sideshow is a great company and it's a collaborative effort. Everyone there loves what they are doing and it shows. There is a great wealth of talent there, and Andy was one of their best assets. It's a loss to the team to let such a tremendous talent go. I don't like the idea of "celebrity" sculptors (The Four Horsemen?) I mean, sure they do great work and you take a particular liking to a specific artist for their work and style but a growing company like Sideshow cannot afford to lose one of their best hitters.

Best of luck at DC Andy! Your CSM is still one of my very favourite figures. Over time I've found 'human figures' less and less appealing, because I always expect a 100% accurate minature. But with CSM you really nailed it.

Does it get much better than this? I don't think so. And the production pieces look just as good.

7803.jpg

decadentdave said:
You mean there isn't enough ALREADY? :lol

No, I agree. I'm going to be more critical than ever now that Andy's gone. I'll be ripping the noobs a new one. :D

lol thats classic! Sideshow sculptor noobs :lol

Man step away for a few hours and you find out **** has hit the fan. I can't say I'm happy at all about this. I wish Andy the best but I'm not happy but it's not about me. This just makes no sense to me at all. Leave SS who has several cool and different lines for DC who basically is all about Buttman and Stupidman. This actually makes me want to cancel my Superman game for 360, Superman DVD Collection, and send DC a letter telling them they can shove their stuff up their ass!!!

let's just hope Andy gets to crank out stuff other than Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman. DC needs more of those like Marvel needs more Wolverine, Hulk and Spiderman pieces.

Here's to hoping we get to see a Bergholtz Sandman, Preacher or Starman sculpt.

occulum said:
let's just hope Andy gets to crank out stuff other than Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman. DC needs more of those like Marvel needs more Wolverine, Hulk and Spiderman pieces.

Here's to hoping we get to see a Bergholtz Sandman, Preacher or Starman sculpt.

I won't be buying them either way. I dont collect DC stuff and won't be for sure now. Nothing against Andy but this is my way of flipping off DC. :)

mature... :rolleyes:

DC Direct really needed this. I've never been a fan of their figures (except Weta/DC SR statues). Now, with Andy and Ray onboard, I hope that the trend of medicore sculpts are over. Congrats Andy!
:chew

Even though Sideshow surely miss a huge talent now, I don't want to say anything bad before we see the things previewed this spring (Andy/Ray-free sculpts)

:eek:

pordey2 said:

No kidding. Anyway, I'm sure this was about the all-powerful dollar. If Andy was that happy w/ Sideshow (as he stated in his post), then why leave other than monetary reasons?

I don't blame Andy one bit for doing the best thing for him and his family in terms of money. I have no idea what sculptors make, but I have a pretty good idea based on some commissions I've had done. They are way underpaid, considering they are the best in the world at what they do.

My business model is set-up so that we pay the most talented people so much that they can't leave. It's not financially viable for them to do so. Sideshow should adopt this model if they want to keep the best guys around. Pay them so much that they have no reason to go anywhere else. Perhaps DC is taking that philosophy?

pordey2 said:

WTF!?! Since when did blowing off some steam not be mature? :rolleyes:

I guess me and a few others can't be unhappy about this? I'm wishing Andy the best just not happy about him leaving SS. He's one of the best around IMO and I hate seeing him leave SS because between the two they make a hell of a good team.

jlcmsu said:
I guess me and a few others can't be unhappy about this? I'm wishing Andy the best just not happy about him leaving SS. He's one of the best around IMO and I hate seeing him leave SS because between the two they make a hell of a good team.

Of course you have the right to be unhappy about. Not going to argue there. If they had given ME the choice, I would have kept him at Sideshow.
But to boicott DC because of this... not trying to blackmail Bergholtz here, but it's not only DC's "fault" that he became a exclusive sculptor of DC...

and I didn't only refer to your post, Josh... :grouphug

jlcmsu said:
WTF!?! Since when did blowing off some steam not be mature? :rolleyes:

It's not what you do but how you do it :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back