Batman: The Animated Series figures & collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of clearing up some space but you're right, the Kenner figure was awesome and for the record, I have a near mint Batwing as well so perhaps they're worth keeping.

I lost mine years ago... That is a piece of my childhood that I will never be able to replace (sure I can always buy another one, but it's not MINE)... Don't get rid of it, you might regret it :)

Oh man.. I lost my kenner long time ago, so glad dc collectible making this batmobile, my second fav after 89 batmobile

Nice! I have both too, they display well and are fun to fiddle with too. I'm just hoping the DCC Batmobile is better than Wave 1 of the figures lol.

I lost mine years ago... That is a piece of my childhood that I will never be able to replace (sure I can always buy another one, but it's not MINE)... Don't get rid of it, you might regret it :)

Oh boy, thanks for the jolt guys! True, the DC one blows it out of the water but they're still a piece of history. Plus no one can say for sure if they'll make the Batwing. Anyway, I'll keep them.

14280601654_e387f833e0_c.jpg

14280812364_9e25516797_c.jpg

Oh boy, thanks for the jolt guys! True, the DC one blows it out of the water but they're still a piece of history. Plus no one can say for sure if they'll make the Batwing. Anyway, I'll keep them.

I think that is a wise choice :)

I think I'm going to start watching Batman Beyond tonight! I LOVE how the story "carries on" from batman the animated series... True it's a little out there at times, but everyone has to admit the episode where Talia goes to visit bruce but it actually turns out to be Ra's is by far my favorite !!!

Next to the movie of course ;)

I love Batman Beyond--it was a great continuation of the Batman animated series and the movie is one of my favorite Batman stories. I hope they throw a couple characters in future waves of the new animated figure line.

was able to get Batman, after opening, i gave him a long bath in hot water to loosen up the joints
slowly bending and twisting - -it until its "loose"... i posed him and when the figure cooled off
every part was stiff again

- thanks to the reviewers here and at youtube-
about the brittle joint/s , you guys are a big help

RYAN PLISKIN
-that new batmobile version is the one i like DCC to make
nice collection!!

I think that is a wise choice :)

I think I'm going to start watching Batman Beyond tonight! I LOVE how the story "carries on" from batman the animated series... True it's a little out there at times, but everyone has to admit the episode where Talia goes to visit bruce but it actually turns out to be Ra's is by far my favorite !!!

Next to the movie of course ;)

I love Batman Beyond--it was a great continuation of the Batman animated series and the movie is one of my favorite Batman stories. I hope they throw a couple characters in future waves of the new animated figure line.

I adore Batman Beyond and I think the Terry/Melanie Walker relationship was my favorite superhero romance ever.

Anyway, since we're talking BTAS/BB why not go all out and watch the whole DCAU? It's all part of one continuity and a definitely the best DC thing ever. I have them all on home video, (STAS not pictured).

15581350684_564ec37743_c.jpg

16016268408_1c57a80415_c.jpg

Kinda bummed that they never released Static Shock and Zeta Project as well since they're also canon.

was able to get Batman, after opening, i gave him a long bath in hot water to loosen up the joints
slowly bending and twisting - -it until its "loose"... i posed him and when the figure cooled off
every part was stiff again

- thanks to the reviewers here and at youtube-
about the brittle joint/s , you guys are a big help

RYAN PLISKIN
-that new batmobile version is the one i like DCC to make
nice collection!!

Thanks man! Yeah I hope they make the TNBA/JL Batmobile and the Batwing as well.

I've been meaning to get that Batman Beyond Complete Series set. That's one cartoon that my wife actually enjoyed watching as well. I wish it was on blu-ray--not really for any perceived increase in quality but just so my crazy brain isn't bothered by having DVDs. Since there still doesn't seem to be any chance they'll upgrade the set I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

I still haven't opened the Batman and Mr. Freeze I got for Christmas. I'm afraid Batman will disintegrate when I open the package. :mad:

When are Warners going to give us an awesome Blu Ray box set of the animated series as much as i love the figures i want that more hell we only got the first few seasons in DVD box sets in the UK.

I've been meaning to get that Batman Beyond Complete Series set. That's one cartoon that my wife actually enjoyed watching as well. I wish it was on blu-ray--not really for any perceived increase in quality but just so my crazy brain isn't bothered by having DVDs. Since there still doesn't seem to be any chance they'll upgrade the set I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

I still haven't opened the Batman and Mr. Freeze I got for Christmas. I'm afraid Batman will disintegrate when I open the package. :mad:

I'd say get it regardless, the DVD set comes with a decent coffee table artbook as well some great bonus features. Definitely worth the price, Zod. :duff

When are Warners going to give us an awesome Blu Ray box set of the animated series as much as i love the figures i want that more hell we only got the first few seasons in DVD box sets in the UK.

They probably won't as it's just too much work. The older shows are in dire need of extensive restoration and that isn't cheap for WB to commit, which is why the only DCAU shows that received a blu ray treatment (JL, BB: ROTJ, Mystery of the Batwoman) are the ones that were digitally animated.

It's extremely evident when WB released the blu rays for the first two seasons of Justice League but never bothered with the JLU follow up. Don't get me wrong- NOTHING would make me happier than blu rays of BTAS, Mask of the Phantasm, BB and JLU but WB missed the boat so many times now that I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't ever see a Blu Ray happening :(
If we didn't get it for batmans 75th my only hope would be the 25th anniversary for the show (so two years from now).

I can't imagine the restoration process of something like this. I've read "rumors" that it was recorded on film, but I don't believe this to be so... I don't know WHY this would have been done (unless to preserve it), but if this was true, I feel like we WOULD HAVE had a Blu Ray version by now.

I remember being in a production class a few years ago and my professor informed me the only show that was shot/recorded in the 90s and was truly "hd" ready was Seinfeld... Everything else had to be "converted" over for the switch... When the switch happened I don't remember noticing it...

This doesnt mean it can't be converted... However, let's look at the simpsons... If you watch any older episodes on FXX they appear "off" and you can see animation lines and he show doesn't look quite perfect (all the way up to the late 90s). Now I realize the shows early episodes were never "perfect" but seeing it upconverted for TV makes it EXTREMELY noticeable! I do not notice such things when I watch them on my dvd or PS3/4 player... The same thing can be said with BTAS... It looks great (by great I mean okay) on my tv (46") but not too great at a larger size. Have you tried importing it to your computer? Notice the interlacing and how some frames skip/overlap...

Now let's talk about projection at a larger scale... My poor BTAS is almost unwatchable, even be upconverted on a player. The file is just not there to handle the size... Is it possible this is why we don't have a Blu Ray!?!

Lastly... Film size is HUGE (even older films like the wizard of oz)... So having a Blu ray (or even a 4k release) is usually not a problem depending on the film that was used/processed... And if the films original copy is still available, it can easily be converted... Which brings me to my point:

IF batman was truly put onto film WHY IS IT NOT YET ON BLU RAY !?!?! People would gladly pay 200, maybe ever 300 for it if it was upgraded!
I know the very first episode was transferred to film (for a fact) due to an interview from Kevin Conroy. But what about the rest?

With that said, I enjoy the Art Deco 1930's look the show has (as I know everyone else in this thread does). Making it crystal clear on Blu Ray MIGHT take away what the original animaters/producers/creators were going for. Look at return of the joker on bluray... That is WB animation at some of its best... The questionn/s we should ask is: Do we want the graininess taken out of our original animated series? Do we want to notice harsh lines of color difference of blue to black on batmans cowl? There are so many things to ask that could "ruin" the show. I don't want it to be perfect like the newer animated films (yes it looks like you are watching a moving comic book (dark knight returns)), but as I said it would take away the style of batman.

I wouldn't mind animators going back in and making it 16:9 either or standard widescreen...

I do want it though lol I NEED IT haha

Who knows technology changes so fast... Maybe we will get a 4k version before Blu Ray :cuckoo:

For the record has anyone downloaded the series onto a gaming unit such as an xbox360 or a playstation 3... Is it in 480 or does it download at 1080!?!?

I don't ever see a Blu Ray happening :(
If we didn't get it for batmans 75th my only hope would be the 25th anniversary for the show (so two years from now).

I can't imagine the restoration process of something like this. I've read "rumors" that it was recorded on film, but I don't believe this to be so... I don't know WHY this would have been done (unless to preserve it), but if this was true, I feel like we WOULD HAVE had a Blu Ray version by now.

I remember being in a production class a few years ago and my professor informed me the only show that was shot/recorded in the 90s and was truly "hd" ready was Seinfeld... Everything else had to be "converted" over for the switch... When the switch happened I don't remember noticing it...

This doesnt mean it can't be converted... However, let's look at the simpsons... If you watch any older episodes on FXX they appear "off" and you can see animation lines and he show doesn't look quite perfect (all the way up to the late 90s). Now I realize the shows early episodes were never "perfect" but seeing it upconverted for TV makes it EXTREMELY noticeable! I do not notice such things when I watch them on my dvd or PS3/4 player... The same thing can be said with BTAS... It looks great (by great I mean okay) on my tv (46") but not too great at a larger size. Have you tried importing it to your computer? Notice the interlacing and how some frames skip/overlap...

Now let's talk about projection at a larger scale... My poor BTAS is almost unwatchable, even be upconverted on a player. The file is just not there to handle the size... Is it possible this is why we don't have a Blu Ray!?!

Lastly... Film size is HUGE (even older films like the wizard of oz)... So having a Blu ray (or even a 4k release) is usually not a problem depending on the film that was used/processed... And if the films original copy is still available, it can easily be converted... Which brings me to my point:

IF batman was truly put onto film WHY IS IT NOT YET ON BLU RAY !?!?! People would gladly pay 200, maybe ever 300 for it if it was upgraded!
I know the very first episode was transferred to film (for a fact) due to an interview from Kevin Conroy. But what about the rest?

With that said, I enjoy the Art Deco 1930's look the show has (as I know everyone else in this thread does). Making it crystal clear on Blu Ray MIGHT take away what the original animaters/producers/creators were going for. Look at return of the joker on bluray... That is WB animation at some of its best... The questionn/s we should ask is: Do we want the graininess taken out of our original animated series? Do we want to notice harsh lines of color difference of blue to black on batmans cowl? There are so many things to ask that could "ruin" the show. I don't want it to be perfect like the newer animated films (yes it looks like you are watching a moving comic book (dark knight returns)), but as I said it would take away the style of batman.

I wouldn't mind animators going back in and making it 16:9 either or standard widescreen...

I do want it though lol I NEED IT haha

Who knows technology changes so fast... Maybe we will get a 4k version before Blu Ray :cuckoo:

For the record has anyone downloaded the series onto a gaming unit such as an xbox360 or a playstation 3... Is it in 480 or does it download at 1080!?!?

Good observation. I do watch BTAS upconverted on a PC (The PS3/4's upscaler is dated nowadays) but there's really not much to work with. The show was intended to look like it was made during the Fleischer Superman cartoons and the transfer of the DVD is actually pretty grainy and there are a lot of scratches and dirt, thus remastering the original prints (if they're still satisfactory preserved) would be a nightmarish undertaking and one could argue it would defeat the aesthetics of the show.

I think that realistically, WB should have released Mask of the Phantasm on blu ray first, considering that was a theatrical release but the 20th anniversary of that film has come and gone.

So at the end of the day I would say get the DVDs, they still look better than streaming or downloading the show due to the higher bit rate.

BTAS isn't really necessary on Blu Ray, atleast for me. Those DVD sets are just fine and definitely watchable. I don't think it's some travesty that there aren't Blu ray versions.

It's not a feature length, live action film, it's a ****ing cartoon! :lol Another transfer isn't going to magically make it better. What we have with the DVDs is certainly better than what was on our square, rounded television sets when these premiered on Fox back in the 90s. If they made a full blown Blu Ray transfer, the show might actually look worse. Take off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses and you'll notice that some of the episodes really have some shoddy animation. The Joker in particular looks pretty awful in just about every other episode. They never quite nailed him or his facial feature animation until Mask Of the Phantasm. A cleaned up, blu ray transfer would make these oddities even more of an eye sore.

A blu-ray release of BTAS probably isn't really necessary, but I would sure welcome it if they did it. As others have said, cleaning up the show for blu-ray may take away some it's charm and make some of the imperfections more noticeable, but I'd be more interested in the special features for it then anything else, anyways. Hopefully more commentaries and a really in-depth documentary on the show and it's legacy.

Batman Mask of the Phantasm, on the other hand, is absolutely due for a blu-ray release loaded with special features/commentaries. I've said before, I'll never understand how WB/DC let the film's 20'th anniversary and Batman's 75'th go by without re-releasing that film on blu-ray. It absolutely deserves the deluxe treatment.

Good observation.

So at the end of the day I would say get the DVDs, they still look better than streaming or downloading the show due to the higher bit rate.

The dvds are totally worth it!
I would LOVE a mask of the phantasm on blu ray OVER the animated series... but I can see fans being confused by the fact that they release that but not the series, that was MADE to be watched in HD/FILM QUALITY version, simply put the animated series wasn't :(

If they made a full blown Blu Ray transfer, the show might actually look worse. Take off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses and you'll notice that some of the episodes really have some shoddy animation. The Joker in particular looks pretty awful in just about every other episode. They never quite nailed him or his facial feature animation until Mask Of the Phantasm. A cleaned up, blu ray transfer would make these oddities even more of an eye sore.

EXACTLY !!! As I stated in my previous comment, anyone who tries uploading/converting an animated series DVD/file to their computer... it's an advertisement for badly laced interlacing but thats about it. It's not even really watchable on my mac unless its DVD via an external player.

Which makes me think that the downloadable versions via PSnetwork (I just know they are on there because I have a playstation) HAVE already been "upgraded." After all I can't see someone paying for it and having it look like complete crap. :lecture ???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 12.14.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 12.14.25 PM.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 338
Does anyone know anything else about the statues Diamond Select is doing? They had Ivy, Harley, Batgirl and Catwoman at toy fair. Wondering if they're going to do other characters as well. Really hope they do.

Back