1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The color of the HT always bugged me, especially since the promo pics (and prototype) hints of it being several shades of flip flop like the real thing.

Yeah exactly, still don’t know what happened...:dunno. As the changes of the shape of the windows of the canopy or the wrong switch of position of the left machine gun... or further the difference of paint between the robocop Alex Murphy perfect prototype and final product...

After there are severals details improved on the Batmobile from proto to final product ( general paint job, details in canopy and dashboard, light ups etc...)

But that’s right, they should had kept the good silver for the rims or use the one they used on the lateral air intakes that is perfect:

If you look at this part of the car, the grey used switch from silver to dark grey or black depending of light.

It would have been perfect.

But anyway, it is still a wonderful piece and we had chance it saw the light of day!

Hi guys,

I just bought a pretty badly scratched Batmobile. I want to sand it lightly and airbrush it back to pristine. However I cant seem to figure out what color and finish Hot Toys used.
Any ideas?

Wow, sorry to hear that. Although honestly my only complaint about the car is how overly flat and plasticky it all looks (even more so than the DeLorean), so repainting it would probably help give it that more solid and metallic look it needs.

Hi guys,

I just bought a pretty badly scratched Batmobile. I want to sand it lightly and airbrush it back to pristine. However I cant seem to figure out what color and finish Hot Toys used.
Any ideas?

I think I've stumbled on sites that goes into great detail regarding the paint scheme.

Repainting the Batmobile is something I'm always interested and I wish there were tutorials. The HT glossy black is just inaccurate and off putting.

Here's a quote from Anton Furst:

"The Batmobile was built in kevlar," Furst noted, "which is a polycarbonate that is extremely light and yet very strong. It is the same material used to make racing cars. We then had a custom paint job done on it. There were about six different layers of colors to give the car the finish of a beetle--a lot of colors coming through the blackness so that it had a three-dimensional quality to it rather than just being a flat black. We did not go to a full gloss on it--we left it with a slight matte finish to make it look more like a war machine.

Last edited:
I think I've stumbled on sites that goes into great detail regarding the paint scheme.

Repainting the Batmobile is something I'm always interested and I wish there were tutorials. The HT glossy black is just inaccurate and off putting.

Here's a quote from Anton Furst:

"The Batmobile was built in kevlar," Furst noted, "which is a polycarbonate that is extremely light and yet very strong. It is the same material used to make racing cars. We then had a custom paint job done on it. There were about six different layers of colors to give the car the finish of a beetle--a lot of colors coming through the blackness so that it had a three-dimensional quality to it rather than just being a flat black. We did not go to a full gloss on it--we left it with a slight matte finish to make it look more like a war machine.

Nice read! No idea however on how to recreate that though. Ill probably try my hands on black with a satin finish.

Hi! Has anyone encounter any problems with their Bat tires? any preventive measures that you are doing to keep it from cracking or melting?

Nice read! No idea however on how to recreate that though. Ill probably try my hands on black with a satin finish.

It was never ever black, the movie vehicle is a lot closer to gunmetal, what he says is that he painted it over 16 times to achieve that utter greyish satin finish, what’s funny is that the 1992 looks completely shiny black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not sure I would go with just a satin black on this, but would at the very least airbrush a thin layer of gunmetal over that to give it that more metallic look. Or maybe gunmetal mixed with a bit of bronze.

It was never ever black, the movie vehicle is a lot closer to gunmetal, what he says is that he painted it over 16 times to achieve that utter greyish satin finish, what’s funny is that the 1992 looks completely shiny black

It looks so very black to me XD.

Yeah I'm not sure I would go with just a satin black on this, but would at the very least airbrush a thin layer of gunmetal over that to give it that more metallic look. Or maybe gunmetal mixed with a bit of bronze.
Ill try it out on some donorparts i have laying around. It wont be 16 layers, i was thinking 2 black, 1 gunmetal and a satin finish.

Well, on my first try that is.

Ill try it out on some donorparts i have laying around. It wont be 16 layers, i was thinking 2 black, 1 gunmetal and a satin finish.

Well, on my first try that is.

If I was you I’d try on one of the ankle breaker wings that came with it first, I’d never display mine with them anyway and you always have another

Hi! Has anyone encounter any problems with their Bat tires? any preventive measures that you are doing to keep it from cracking or melting?

I had an issue with the tires and the finish of the coffee table I used for display having a chemical reaction. The table has tire tread marks melted into it, and the tires have a layer of the table’s clear finish stuck on them. It looks similar to a layer of superglue. I haven’t tried taking that stuff off the wheels, but I think a member recommended a product I could buy on Amazon for it (Sorry, I forgot what that is). I’ve since removed my Batmobile from display.

I realized the tires may become an issue at some date so my batmobile is actually slightly lifted off the surface by a few centimeters. I did the same thing with my Nolan Batmobile.

So...this is the first time I’ve unwrapped it and spent any time with it.

Oh my. I feel like Ferris Bueller.

57d8b213bc387941e44b7bda6ae8e07f.jpg

5ab47599cc92bf3cc5b563a6c9f7c98e.jpg

057c4cc6231f6f6ed53542732564767f.jpg

14c93353422bddf9987a5fe9f3f5efeb.jpg

Can’t say I regret it. Have a nice display planned, waiting on cabinet it'll rest on top of, need to commission an acrylic cover.

a84895430903c7c949a03509d94a97ab.jpg

Back