1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent photos ZE! Congratulations! This, is love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is. I'm not going to display the figures beside it -- just keep it lean and mean.

I spent a long time deliberating over this thing, knowing that it'd be a commitment -- both space-wise and in terms of the difficulty involved in re-sale were I to have buyer's remorse.

But it's got a presence and an industrial, sculptural beauty no sixth scale figure can match. And it's true -- chicks dig the car. :lol

Yeah it’s the pride of my collection,
Welcome to the club pal
[emoji106]

It's actually somewhat true. Out of the whole collection, it's the one thing that all women (ages 25-35) recognize immediately, and are interested in looking at. Whether they are into geek stuff or not...

I think a muscle car is something most mainstream people can recognize and relate to easier than a superhero or spaceperson. ;)

My current gf is only casually geeky (Seen some MCU, as a ‘90s gal knows Batman as Michael Keaton, can recognize and name major Star Wars characters etc.) but to her own surprise — really digs the car. As do my other female friends, ages 30-43.

I’m just lucky she things sixth scale action dolls are cool. :lol

I'm looking to acquire an 89 Batmobile soon and I was wondering is there any good "coffee table" that is glass that I could use to display this batmobile?

I think I've stumbled on sites that goes into great detail regarding the paint scheme.

Repainting the Batmobile is something I'm always interested and I wish there were tutorials. The HT glossy black is just inaccurate and off putting.

Here's a quote from Anton Furst:

"The Batmobile was built in kevlar," Furst noted, "which is a polycarbonate that is extremely light and yet very strong. It is the same material used to make racing cars. We then had a custom paint job done on it. There were about six different layers of colors to give the car the finish of a beetle--a lot of colors coming through the blackness so that it had a three-dimensional quality to it rather than just being a flat black. We did not go to a full gloss on it--we left it with a slight matte finish to make it look more like a war machine.

I remember seeing *an* 1989 batmobile in the automotive building at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto when I was a kid. If memory serves it was supposed to be from the movie or connected to it somehow. I distinctly remember it having an iridescent quality to it so to see him mention a lot of colours coming through like a beetle makes sense.

Rather like this:
a74b9d475b426c58ca6425e1540b22a0.jpg

Yeah it seems that the real car had multiple lay of paint to give it deep even at nighttime. But actually everyone saw it mat black or satin black on screen.

There are some pearlescent paints that could give the same effect, perhaps dull them out with a transparent smoke colour over top so it’s not too flashy and then a semigloss clear?

Would love to see someone try to get this sort of finish on one of these!

Are there fake versions of this that I should be weary of when searching ebay? I've seen a seller with several batmobiles, no original boxes.

Are there fake versions of this that I should be weary of when searching ebay? I've seen a seller with several batmobiles, no original boxes.

Never heard of a fake, myself. I think many sellers don't do original boxes due to exorbitant volumetric shipping costs or size restrictions.

Good luck trying to fake this monstrosity!

The reason a lot of people got rid of their boxes is because of the size. It's almost as tall as an adult man and it's longer than half the length of a regular sedan. That plus shipping would be a Knightmare. The box certainly accounts for the most of the real estate taken up by this piece.

Yeah. My seller (from Japan) said the shipping box was the size of a refrigerator. We came to an agreement that he’d bubble wrap the Hot Toys box. When that arrived, it was still the size of a top mount refrigerator.

I still have that fridge sized box in my closet. I've been wanting to unload this thing for years but who would ever pay for shipping from Japan?

I still have that fridge sized box in my closet. I've been wanting to unload this thing for years but who would ever pay for shipping from Japan?

I’m in Texas. My seller in Japan, and I, split the shipping cost in half between the two of us. That was pretty cool of him.

I bought this cabinet — which is freaking huge for its furniture class — to display the Batmobile on top of.

I still need to get an acrylic cover made for it; I prefer it without so I can angle it and the dust is pretty minimal here, but long-term I want it covered.

This is actually a spare room it’s in for now, so not the permanent display area, which will be a work in progress for a while.

I really like the gloss white contrasted with the car, and having it up at a decent height (eye-level if you’re sitting in a chair) ... I have some custom accents planned for the display that I’ll be looking into.

While I’ve only hear of it happening once, I’ll also get a glass base to park it on, to avoid the possibility of the tires reacting with the laminate on the cabinet over time.

The upside of the giant display base is it contains quite a bit of storage underneath.

My collection is moving towards final display vs. active acquisition and editing.

cbdb31f831b015bf4cc476afb8734a12.jpg

17825d131ac0ffe4d7eacf36881bdcc2.jpg

614928b75bef32be9f479ae52954ed0a.jpg

Back