Action Figure Bandai Star Wars Model Kit 1/12 Scale General Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a rather nice looking Bandai Sandtrooper on ebay from a Japanese seller for £20...what's the catch? Looks to good to be true for £20?

There is a rather nice looking Bandai Sandtrooper on ebay from a Japanese seller for £20...what's the catch? Looks to good to be true for £20?

Nah, these just aren't pricey. That's just about retail and it's coming from Japan, so there's no reason to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can pick them all up rather cheaply (by SW figure standards) via Japanese sellers. I've topped out around $40 here in Australia, which is $5-10 more than each figure's respective Black Series counterpart at retail here - so there really is no need to endure Hasbro's inferior product. Bandai (thus far) are offering the best droid/trooper/robot products, whereas the human likenesses are covered by SH Figuarts.

I just completed the Bandai Vader, and apart from the misfire plastic cape design, it's terrific. I kept the plastic inner robe, but made a suitable cape from t-shirt material. He looks terrific, and when flanked by the Bandai troopers, it makes for an awesome display. :)

Yeah, the model kit Vader is probably my favorite 6" Vader especially after I decided to convert it into a Star Wars Vader. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, especially since I put way more effort into it than it was probably worth. I'd already switched to cloth a while ago, so for that I just had to bring the torso cloth above the shoulder armor but I split the cape to make it more accurate. The hands are Black Series since they provide more articulation, and I may go back later and make the gloves more accurate. The helmet definitely involved the most work, and probably wasn't all necessary. The easy part was to paint one of the tusks and the nose and it also wasn't difficult to get the brushed texture on his "cheeks" (even though you can barely see it in the pictures) while getting the dome closer to screen accurate involved a lot of sanding, yet amounted to very little difference.
592ccebe49479412b25b957a74a61ea6.jpg
2c684643ed8d4cf39a3bbb9c2e2d9210.jpg

65cfb99632cb2b1efc0f94d75f6ad145.jpg
80a6603903a2c900bdeaa956315756b4.jpg

This is the best shot of the helmet I could get:
5e7dc034e15aa30c649f48eaa5f16024.jpg

Wow! He looks terrific! Can I ask what method you used to make the cape and inner robe? And the cloth used? It hangs very straight in your great pics.

Wow! He looks terrific! Can I ask what method you used to make the cape and inner robe? And the cloth used? It hangs very straight in your great pics.

The cape is the Black Series Vader cape, I just cut the front in half to get it inside the shoulder armor. The lower part of the robe is also from the Black Series Vader, I just cut it to size and put it under the belt. For the upper part of the robe I just used some scraps I had from trimming the robe on the Black Series Kylo Ren and tucked it in the back of the torso and brought it around the front. Hope that helps!

Hey, Forums! It's been a while since I posted, huh?
I made an instagram account to post my model kit builds. There's a ton of Bandai Star Wars stuff there (and a lot more, too!)
There it is:
https://www.instagram.com/murrermarcelo/

Here are some pics (warning, huge):
Spoiler Spoiler:

That threepio is incredible! Excellent work on all of them!

Have you done the Grievous kit yet? Ive been tempted to pick that one up..

Thanks a lot! I didn't pick up the Grievous kit because I've got too many kits in my backlog right now. I will get it for sure though, it's such a great kit! I just finished the Vader kit and will post some pictures tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I didn't pick up the Grievous kit because I've got too many kits in my backlog right now. I will get it for sure though, it's such a great kit! I just finished the Vader kit and will post some pictures tomorrow!

Nice! Looking forward to seeing that Vader.

Ive only put together a single stormy so far, but I really love it! Im looking to get threepio and Grievous next for sure, also pretty tempted on the R1 troops.

Hi - so I just found out about these kits! How are they when compared to figuarts and mafex? I understand you need to assemble them, but how is the finished product? They are a lot cheaper. Does that mean the finished product is a lot cheaper than figuarts and Mafex?

They're don't feel like an action figure and are not meant to be handled like one. They can be fragile. They're lighter from being mostly hollow. They're not painted, but they do give you different colored pieces based on the character's color palette. They have stickers and water decals for other details.

I'm working on the Boba Fett kit and, so far, this has been the most complicated Bandai kit I've handled. There are some really small paint apps (eg., the calculator keys on Boba's left gauntlet). I'm also modding some things here and there, and it's turning out great. If you put enough work into this kit it can be the absolute best 6" Boba Fett.

Pics (warning: large pics):
Spoiler Spoiler:

News out of Toy Fair 2018 is that the Bandai 1/12 Star Wars figure model kits will be now imported to the US by Bluefin!

The Luke & Han Stormtrooper Disguise figures were mentioned as being imported to the US.

Wonder how much more they will be and if still paying the import companies will be cheaper. Still cheaper to buy the vehicles from Japan then it is my LHS.

Back