Action Figure Bandai Star Wars Model Kit 1/12 Scale General Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did hit up Han's head with a dull coat. Face was too shiny and too tan. I might attempt to repaint it a bit. For now though I'm happy with the Stormtrooper.
5ec0c9f70bff2f4f2536114a88b8fcf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The models might be my favorite Stormtroopers. For the price you cannot beat them. I love how bright white they are and the articulation is terrific.

I did enjoy it. Surprisingly fast and the articulation is unbelievable from a model kit. I want to get a few more Stormtroopers because this model looks so accurate. Just a slight step up from my Black Series....
38b1a73e3615564e2e566964c620754c.jpg

Ive wondered how the Bandai painted heads would turn out, I saw a brief YT review that didn't give me much of an impression. That looks pretty good there! I'm curious how the Luke version turned out.

I've put together the Stormtrooper, R2-D2 w/ BB8, Shoretrooper, & 1/6 scale Stormtrooper. Still have yet to build the First Order Trooper and Clone Trooper. And just today I got General Grievous.
Really enjoy building these and they make some great action figures.
I'm waiting for the Shoretroopers to become more affordable so I can build and paint another two.

Ive wondered how the Bandai painted heads would turn out, I saw a brief YT review that didn't give me much of an impression. That looks pretty good there! I'm curious how the Luke version turned out.

I've put together the Stormtrooper, R2-D2 w/ BB8, Shoretrooper, & 1/6 scale Stormtrooper. Still have yet to build the First Order Trooper and Clone Trooper. And just today I got General Grievous.
Really enjoy building these and they make some great action figures.
I'm waiting for the Shoretroopers to become more affordable so I can build and paint another two.

I also will be receiving Grievous from BBTS tomorrow so I'm pretty excited. I will also be getting Luke. The face printing used on these just make it look like Han spends way too much time outside, or like he is Finn on Jakku. A matte finish helps with the sweatiness, but the skin tone is way too dark so I might attempt to lighten it. I might grab Boba also as Barnes and Noble has him in stock and that could be really fun to paint.

I'm counting on Grievous being really difficult to assemble (watch the Fwoosh review) but the end product looks amazing!

I also will be receiving Grievous from BBTS tomorrow so I'm pretty excited. I will also be getting Luke. The face printing used on these just make it look like Han spends way too much time outside, or like he is Finn on Jakku. A matte finish helps with the sweatiness, but the skin tone is way too dark so I might attempt to lighten it. I might grab Boba also as Barnes and Noble has him in stock and that could be really fun to paint.

I'm counting on Grievous being really difficult to assemble (watch the Fwoosh review) but the end product looks amazing!

I took a look at Grievous to make sure everything was okay, the pieces are thin and tiny, more so than the usual Bandai kit. You build the head first then the upper and lower torso followed by the legs and the two different sets of arms (switch out for four arms or two). About the coolest thing I've seen Bandai do is the eyes, they're a separate piece that's dual molded with the cat like pupils in brown plastic on tan plastic sclera.

That is super cool! I'm excited to paint him. The bone color and weathering will really make him like fantastic. Nice to have a Grievous that supports his own weight. I will be curious about the cape. That's the one area that looks bad. Good thing I probably wouldn't use it anyway since he will be 4 arms splayed out to attack General Kenobi when Figuarts releases their version.

That is super cool! I'm excited to paint him. The bone color and weathering will really make him like fantastic. Nice to have a Grievous that supports his own weight. I will be curious about the cape. That's the one area that looks bad. Good thing I probably wouldn't use it anyway since he will be 4 arms splayed out to attack General Kenobi when Figuarts releases their version.

I have brown Panel Liner, I might just use that on the plastic then wipe most of it off to give it a bit more depth.

Yep. I have used the technique of applying paint and wiping off with a cloth to give it depth and wear. Painted an Alien 3 model once using that and it turned out really good.

Debating on doing the paint before the build but feel like I would lose track or part numbers and for me that would be a catastrophe given the amount of parts he is.

I finally got around to building threepio today.

This is my first attempt at weathering, and I really enjoyed it!

840b6eb1ba13686a6ee1c3fb59012c0c.jpg

13e5121553c8b2bc1a8bcb77eb9a90b8.jpg

next to revoltech R2

3f65001589175e7e65908d5ed50841ee.jpg

Nice work - he looks great. The Bandai figure kits are fantastic but I wish they would announce some new characters. It has been very quiet from them for a while.

IG-88, Snowtrooper, 4-LOM, Probe Droid, and Royal Guard would all make great kits!

Nice work - he looks great. The Bandai figure kits are fantastic but I wish they would announce some new characters. It has been very quiet from them for a while.

IG-88, Snowtrooper, 4-LOM, Probe Droid, and Royal Guard would all make great kits!

Thanks! IG-88 is at the very top of my wanted list from this line.

That looks great! What’d you use to weather him?

:duff just some washes wih cheap acrylic black and dark brown paint from walmart.

Just built my first kit..... the clone trooper. Wow, these are amazing. We need more announcements! Can’t believe they didn’t do a Praetorian kit.

Yeah, explain to me how C-3p0 is gonna fire that thing? LOL

I gotta get the bandai kit of this guy. I have their SH figuarts version and love it. I gave him a bit of a worn look from ANH. Shiny version for the end of that movie, of course.

What tools do you need? Clippers and something to sand the sides? Have the Han Stormie but need to hit the hobby store.

Sculpt on that Han in the stormie set is better than their SH figuarts one, imo. Something happened with the mold, his right profile is off.....paint on the model version about what I expected. With the helmet on, looks like it needs a bit higher of a neck, may try to adjust mine once I get around to it.

Great pic, guys. truly, you are all pro level now.......

Last edited:
I just use the nippers and then an exacto knife to clean up whatever nub is leftover. If you're building 3PO you probably don't want to sand him since it'll ruin the finish wherever you have a nub.

Yeah, explain to me how C-3p0 is gonna fire that thing? LOL

I gotta get the bandai kit of this guy. I have their SH figuarts version and love it. I gave him a bit of a worn look from ANH. Shiny version for the end of that movie, of course.

What tools do you need? Clippers and something to sand the sides? Have the Han Stormie but need to hit the hobby store.

Sculpt on that Han in the stormie set is better than their SH figuarts one, imo. Something happened with the mold, his right profile is off.....paint on the model version about what I expected. With the helmet on, looks like it needs a bit higher of a neck, may try to adjust mine once I get around to it.

Great pic, guys. truly, you are all pro level now.......

The threepio kit is actually one of the easiest ones. Just need nippers, and exacto for triming nubs, and something to weather him if you want to go that route. You end up with the absolute best representation of him in this scale IMO. I found it really easy to weather mine and still keep that shiny look!

Back