Action Figure Bandai Star Wars Model Kit 1/12 Scale General Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished assembling the bandai model kit BB-8, this figure is brilliant & far exceeds the black series BB-8.

Just finished assembling the bandai model kit BB-8, this figure is brilliant & far exceeds the black series BB-8.

Thanks for the pics, didn't even know the kit came out already! What was the deal with the spinning stand in the promo pics? Is there like a stand that holds the head while you spin the body? It seems like that peg for the head wouldn't allow the body to spin. Also, any differences with R2?

Took some pics of my Bandai 1/12th model kit Boba Fett:

Here is a height comparison with a couple of Hasbro's Black Series 6" Stormtroopers:

These model kits are amazing. The articulation and range of motion is significantly greater than Hasbro's Black Series figures (ex. Bandai's Fett has double-jointed elbows, shoulder joints that allow for back-and-forth movement, excellent ankle articulation, etc.).

A couple of minor drawbacks: the wookiee scalps are garbage (thin plastic that does not really stay in place) - I am going to make real ones out of embroidery floss and glue them in place. Also, the hip pouches significantly limit range of motion for his legs. I think I might cut out a small piece of cloth and put that in place of the plastic piece that connects the hip pouches to the belt.

I painted the entire Fett model kit while it was on the sprue (black primer, then custom paint apps on each model piece). Without paint, there is no weathering and the colors will be very plain. The stickers are fantastic and easy to apply (I used the sticker decals instead of the water-slide decals since they are easier to use).

To date, I have built the R2-D2/R5-D4 and Boba Fett model kits. They are very complicated (for me), but all of the pieces slide together very easily and you do not need glue (unless you break a piece - I had to glue Fett's wrist missile in place because I broke off the connecting piece).

Overall, assembling this figure is a ton of work, but I am very happy with the end result and I can replace my Black Series Fett (which is in storage anyway).

I put together another Bandai ESB Boba a month or so ago. This time I took out the Floquil, Pollyscale and Modelmaster paints to repaint this per the original prop / costume colours
a03b7c126409ecd5eeb4550e973a1ccc.jpg
da04c8598fbf7508228bdeb69b3ea4ad.jpg
b3da913232812ce015593bcc34768fe2.jpg
3c8e45118c650bc588a5779215719847.jpg
dc1063c47b34291d56258cb6447339a3.jpg
044086f43733f0bc44dc8e3d6649508b.jpg
29e1e4ec42d7d3c5c2099fa4e93d7d22.jpg
013f30679d75de832fbfda7bcbe7fda5.jpg

I also found painting on the sprues a good way to make sure major areas are free to dry off, as well as priming with rustoleum white. However, one has to cut and sand off the sprues excess. Another plus is in painting details like weathering separately without affecting other parts of the figure.

5fdd0e8d907b817339abd3c8ab897f8a.jpg

e8b0e87a751ce9f70b8df9a06a671a2f.jpg
b7a6cb273a452ffbea93649565f97dcf.jpg
34aa139edb6bd078e953b874862102a3.jpg

However, after applying the sticker decals the first time, though easier, I found it was not as good as the traditional. I found the symbols could be seen easily and didn't blend in. Furthermore, the sticker decals were harder to apply around round areas such as the kill stripes, on the right ear and gauntlet keypad.

Thanks mate [emoji106], it was certainly fun to do and even more importantly take your time in doing it.

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk

These are nice little kits. I Haven't had the chance to try one of the figures yet. Here are a couple of the vehicles I put together though. The details really great on them, and their pretty cheap.

Attachments

• ATandTIE.jpg
    ATandTIE.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 243
  • ATST1.jpg
    ATST1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 243
  • ATST2.jpg
    ATST2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 243
  • ATSTCLOSE.jpg
    ATSTCLOSE.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 245
  • TIECLOSE.jpg
    TIECLOSE.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 246
What all did you do to it?
With this being my first painted model kit, ive made the mistake of applying masking tape to the head and spray painting gun metal grey on it rather than brushing it on since vader has a two tone paint scheme on his head. So its gun metal grey and gloss black for the head. Same for the chest armor

The chest plate and belt boxes are hand painted.

The cloth parts are painted with matte black to make it look more cloth like while the glossy parts of the armor are painted with gloss black.

Swapped out the plastic cape with fabric.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

Yup, I'm only getting the ship models from Bandai.

X-Wing build was fairly straightforward, but it is a level up in terms of difficulty compared to the TIE fighters.

You also really need to paint the X-wing for it to look good. I've put one together as a test run and it turned out OK, and I have next to no modeling experience.

This is the only other one I have on me. I didn't like how th decals sat on the forward cockpit interior and was trying to decide if I should take them off and paint. I did.
xwing2_zps4nki4ivo.jpg

I can only reiterate what others have said thus far: these are absolutely stunning sets. I just completed the ANH Stormtrooper and it's absolutely fantastic! The tone of the armour, the proportions, the posing options - all fantastic. The engineering on this figure is really wonderful, and the build is great fun by being slightly challenging (and a good pair of tweezers helps with the stickers).

I can understand why Hasbro has attempted to block the sale of these sets in certain territories: because they leave the Hasbro Black Series 1/12 scale line for dead. I'd much rather quality over quantity any day of the week, and these sets just scream quality - in both the build and the final result. With these sets and the Figuarts releases, there really is only one choice when it comes to 1/12 scale Star Wars.

Yep these 1/12 SW kits can not be topped- amazing details and engineering.

Back