Action Figure Bandai Star Wars Model Kit 1/12 Scale General Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
407cbf38-f77e-482f-bd88-007ebaa43a54_zpspgk8arpv.jpg

That looks awesome. Nice work. Good stuff.

Really nice job! Do the ports on the front move at all? I'm glad they at least give the option of being open, unlike the old ERTL model. How tall is it?

Both front ports and the top hatch can be displayed open or closed, but they don't open and close on a hinge. I hope that make sense. The set even includes a 1/48 Chewbacca that you can display standing in the open hatch. I will measure it tonight for precise height, but my guess is about 6 inches (15-16cm) without base. The cockpit is nicely detailed. I put a lot of work into it but might not have if I had realized how little you can actually see. Thank you for the kind words.

Thank you too chakaman!

How do you think these kits compare with some of the other manufacturers out there? It's been 20 yrs since I built a Star Wars kit (Snowspeeder, AT-AT, X-Wing, Tie Fighter) but they were the olde Ertl MPC kits. Kits were okay, but not great with lots of flashing and average detail and the parts didn't fit together all that good. The detail on that AT-ST looks really sharp.

The Bandai kits are masterfully engineered and fit together incredibly well. They do a great job of hiding sprue attachments or making them appear in areas that do not show. I have only done the AT-ST and the X-Wing Moving edition from Bandai and I love them both. I hope they do more 1/48 or larger.

Damn I was really hoping it would be bigger. I have the old ERTL and its exactly 6". :( This one is superior though so its still a contender :)

Is anyone getting the Bandai Samurai Vader and Storm Trooper? They are a little expensive but I could not resist.

samurai-starwars.jpg

Got the Bandai 1/12 C-3P0 for my birthday and finally had time last night to put him together and I am blown away! Seriously, this thing is gorgeous and a lot of fun to put together. I wasn't planning on doing him all in one sitting, but couldn't stop until he was complete. Some of those tiny, tiny pieces (like bolts in his neck and on the side of his torso) were completely unnecessary and could have just been sculpted onto a larger piece but, in the end, I think lend to his realism. I was also surprised by the customizability (is that a word?) of this set. I knew about the arms and face, but didn't realize he had several different hands to choose from and a whole different chest piece for the restraining bolt look. In the end, I went with the articulated arms, they are just too cool and I don't think the different color of the pistons is that jarring in hand. I was also prepared for the belly wires to not look very realistic, even while assembling that part, and especially with the sticker, but I went for it and I think it looks amazing! My wife and my kids both asked "Did you put all those little wires in there?" I'm seriously considering picking up another one to do up in his Tatooine look.

Got the Bandai 1/12 C-3P0 for my birthday and finally had time last night to put him together and I am blown away! Seriously, this thing is gorgeous and a lot of fun to put together. I wasn't planning on doing him all in one sitting, but couldn't stop until he was complete. Some of those tiny, tiny pieces (like bolts in his neck and on the side of his torso) were completely unnecessary and could have just been sculpted onto a larger piece but, in the end, I think lend to his realism. I was also surprised by the customizability (is that a word?) of this set. I knew about the arms and face, but didn't realize he had several different hands to choose from and a whole different chest piece for the restraining bolt look. In the end, I went with the articulated arms, they are just too cool and I don't think the different color of the pistons is that jarring in hand. I was also prepared for the belly wires to not look very realistic, even while assembling that part, and especially with the sticker, but I went for it and I think it looks amazing! My wife and my kids both asked "Did you put all those little wires in there?" I'm seriously considering picking up another one to do up in his Tatooine look.

Awesome. Looks like a mini version of their most-impressive 1/6 figure.

Looks like HLJ lost the Bandai license or something because they are no longer selling anything from them. I wonder if there was a conflict with Takara/Tomy maybe???

Anyways does anyone have another good source for the Bandai model kits other than evilbay? They recently announced a few TFA kits that I wanna pick up.

Looks like HLJ lost the Bandai license or something because they are no longer selling anything from them. I wonder if there was a conflict with Takara/Tomy maybe???

Anyways does anyone have another good source for the Bandai model kits other than evilbay? They recently announced a few TFA kits that I wanna pick up.

It's all about licensing. For some reason - and there has been a lot of speculation as to the exact cause - someone is enforcing the fact that Bandai only has the licensing rights to sell the models in Japan. They do not have the rights to sell the kits in the West where Revell holds the license.

You can read about it here:

Banned-ai in the USA: No more Star Wars Model Kits for you | The Fwoosh

and in this thread from the RPF:

Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan - Page 13

It's all about licensing. For some reason - and there has been a lot of speculation as to the exact cause - someone is enforcing the fact that Bandai only has the licensing rights to sell the models in Japan. They do not have the rights to sell the kits in the West where Revell holds the license.

You can read about it here:

Banned-ai in the USA: No more Star Wars Model Kits for you | The Fwoosh

and in this thread from the RPF:

Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan - Page 13

what the...
no wonder I can't find bandai 1/12 anymore at amiami

We'll revell better step up their game then because their recent kits suck donkey balls!

Unfortunately, I suspect that Revell made such a ruckus so that they don't have to step up their game.

Back