Back in Black Spiderman In-Hand Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, there SURE seems to be ALOT of CAPS in your response, EH!:rolleyes:
i guess YOUR statement "SHOULD spiderman REALLY look like that?" could REALLY be applied to pretty MUCH 50% of the CURRENT and PAST comic characters.
Well, this sculpt was originally the Iron Spiderman sculpt, which is supposed to conform to his body, so it makes total sense for Iron Spiderman, but not for a spandex outfit.
Yes, a lot of comic characters are drawn with body paint type suits now, unlike in the 80's when it was not so pronounced, which is when I collected comics.
It doesn't make sense to draw comic characters with so much anatomy showing, period, unless the suit is molded or painted on. It is like how Rob Liefield would draw muscles on characters that didn't actually exist on the human body, just to make the characters look more impressive and dramatic. I think it just made them look unrealistic and kind of dumb, and really takes you out of the immersion in the reading of the story, because every time you see it, it reminds you that it's not real, just like seeing a Timex on the wrist of a Roman Centurion in a movie. Certainly, body paint looks characters look more sexy, like drawing female characters, but I'm not looking for a sexy Spiderman. I want a depiction of spider man that makes him look more real, to make the statue more immersing to enrich the experience by making Spiderman seem more believable.

...and in REAL life.. a guy COULD'nt climb a wall or swing from a WEB..

It's comic/fantasy art you ^^^^.. :rolleyes:

Of course no one can currently climb a wall or swing from a web. What makes comic characters so tantalizing is the "what if?' Without the "what if" factor, which is to say what if it could be real, even though it's not, comics stimulate the imagination far less, because the mind realizes that fantasizing about something that could never ever be possible would be a waste of time, and one's time would be far better spent visualizing and imagining something which could in fact advance the human potential.

What makes comic book characters so cool is that they COULD be real. The more you make a comic character believable, the more interesting he is.

Last edited:
The symbiote suit is not even "spandex" in the comic, what the hell are you complaining about?...:rolleyes: It is SKINTIGHT because it is basically like a second skin.

I swear you try to stir up ^^^^ in the most ridiculous ways...:lol

The symbiote suit is not even "spandex" in the comic, what the hell are you complaining about?...:rolleyes: It is SKINTIGHT because it is basically like a second skin.

If it was the Symbiote suit, it would look right. However, it is the Back in Black costume, which is spandex, isn't it?

Wow.....just.....this has to be a troll! No one has the actual audacity to....wow.

Of course no one can currently climb a wall or swing from a web. What makes comic characters so tantalizing is the "what if?' Without the "what if" factor, which is to say what if it could be real, even though it's not, comics stimulate the imagination far less, because the mind realizes that fantasizing about something that could never ever be possible would be a waste of time, and one's time would be far better spent visualizing and imagining something which could in fact advance the human potential.

What makes comic book characters so cool is that they COULD be real. The more you make a comic character believable, the more interesting he is.

All your opinion, people like comic book characters for different reasons.

All your opinion, people like comic book characters for different reasons.

The more unrealistic something is perceived to be, the more untrue something is perceived to be. The more untrue something is perceived to be, the more invalid something is perceived to be. The more invalid something is perceived to be, the more uninteresting something is perceived to be.

Most people find comic books uninteresting because they lack the imagination or vision to be able to appreciate or understand that they COULD somehow be real, because most people only perceive things that are right in front of them, or that are measurable, or proven to be real as valid or important, and thus worthy of their attention. People with more imagination can visualize or conceptualize the POSSIBILITY of things being actual, even though they are not currently actual.
The more imaginative someone is, the more likely they are to find comic books interesting, because, being imaginative, the more able they are to see that those things in comic books COULD be possible, and thus relevant.
The less imaginative someone is, the less likely they are to appreciate comic books, because being less imaginative, the less able they are to comprehend or see that what is in comic books COULD be possible, because their scope of understanding and conceptualization is so limited. The reason why most people aren't into comics is because mostly because they aren't very imaginative.

People like comic book characters for different reasons, but all of those reasons ultimately boil down to the fantasy that those comic book characters would be much more interesting if they were real. Do you disagree with that?

Sounds like if you use a bit more imagaintion you shouldn't have a problem with this statue...it's all a matter of opionon....

Dang! Its a comic book statue, get the hell over it.

The implication of that statement is that you are dismissing it as unimportant, if not discounting it's importance. If it isn't important, what is the point of having a statue of it? I suppose what you are really saying is that in the greater scheme of comic books being a form of individual expression, the sculptor thus takes artistic license in portraying the character as they see fit, and that I should in fact recognize this fact, and merely accept this. I am aware of this. I was merely pointing out that the sculpt didn't make sense in terms of representing the character and the character's suit as it is supposed to be, ie spandex. I also said that if the sculptor wanted the statue to look like Spider man would look in reality, then it should be sculpted to look like spandex, and not like the Symbiote suit or body paint. I said that it would be more compelling if it was sculpted to look more realistic.

Sounds like if you use a bit more imagaintion you shouldn't have a problem with this statue...it's all a matter of opionon....

Well, like I said, if the suit is the Iron Spiderman suit or the symbiote suit, it should look totally like that, because those materials would hug the body like that. It doesn't look how a fabric outfit would look, however. I inherently have no problem with comic characters having suits that totally conform to the body, just so long as they don't claim that they are fabric. Those suits should be represented as if they are molded, or something, such as the Iron Spider Armor.

Well look past the fabric claim and see it as a symbiote suited spidey, use your imagination...not a huge deal...

I actually agree with Nash on something! :google Blackthornone, please don't come to the Marvel thread and start stirring up crap like you do on almost every other thread. And for heaven's sake, don't start on your flipping crusades again.

Can't really blame SS for sticking to the source material:

spider-manbackblack1.jpg

I thought the whole point of comiquettes was so that they can pull off the costumes that wouldn't look right with fabric.

Just received my Spider-Man Back In Black Comiquette today and it's stunning! However part of the base has damage on the shield, hoping to get this sorted or have it replaced! Here he is, number #366!

dsc00211g.jpg

dsc00209c.jpg

dsc00210c.jpg

dsc00212hue.jpg

Thats an awesome statue....And Blackthorne whats with the fetish with body paint ???:confused::sick I think you're over analysing this statue too much...

I was thinking of getting one if I could on the cheap in anticipation of the red/blue version and then a nice triple display of spidey.

I didn't care much for this piece because I own the ISM but after seeing it at SDCC, I'm starting to reconsider. The base is very impressive if not more so than the ISM's base especially Doc Ock's arm which is huge. I was really drawn into the black paint on this piece and the blue hue that was added to the white areas. Congrats to everyone that owns this piece and I hope it doesn't stay as a second chance opportunity any longer because I gots no mula for this.

Back