Avengers Iron Man Mark VII Life Sized Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 10.38.03 AM.jpg

Looks good but not enough difference for me to go to the effort of buffering and risking the polish damaging the bust.

Well you get the option, if you like it dull then don't polish it but it's nice to know that a small amount of polishing work can bring it up to a more shiny look, I'm happy with it now :)

I used a very soft microfiber cloth which couldn't damage it and the polish actually removed some kind of matt residue so my guess is that when it was painted at the factory they didn't finish it off carefully.

Seeing as my MKIII has a similar Matt finish to the faceplate I'll be keeping my MKVII as is :)

e6atubyd.jpg

But like you said Harris, the option is there...good job!! :hi5:

yours looks a little more shiny than mine was out of the box, they are possibly all slightly different depending on who was finishing them off at the factory.

I would have preferred this level of shine below, actually this is a bit too shiny, but the SS is not shiny enough so it's hard to get the balance right. I'd say the look should be like the eFX but brushed metal a bit more. I guess the problem is the films are mostly CG anyway so it's all just spec settings on shader in Maya but I think the intent should be that he's more metallic, maybe that's an idealised interpretation but it looks better. I do hope eFX release this soon.

IMG_5530-noscale.jpg

Iron-Man-Hawkeye-and-Hulk-in-THE-AVENGERS.jpg

ironman-vii-movie.jpg

Yeah that bottom pic is spot-on, and the one above much better. It is interesting to see how the eFX version went from the current SS looking shade to the more metallic one between SDCC 2012 and SD2013, I get the feeling this is a really tricky one to nail right.

I get the feeling this is a really tricky one to nail right.

Yep...i don't think any Company releasing these Iron Man helmets or busts have nailed that true brushed metallic faceplate as of yet. It's either way too chromed and reflective like this

6ude2e9e.jpg

Or just plain matte which seems to be the more popular choice of finish

ujujusy6.jpg

And then the ones that people wax to try and make it look shinier, which yes it does but it still lacks that metallic effect...

Take for example my custom MKVI bust, this has been waxed countless times to make it shiny but I still don't think it looks
Metallic, just looks glossier...

ezunyda6.jpg

Now we all hold our breath and see what Sideshow come up with for their MK42 :horror

7e8e4e6y.jpg

If you look at the sideshow gallery and ads it's more shiny, I was really disappointed that mine was so matt out of the box, it looked like dull plastic, it's fine now but yes that prototype with the brushed copper look would have been perfect.

Yeah it's tough, ultimately you need more specularity in the paint, polishing diffused matte paint doesn't accomplish the same effect (though it looks better that non-polished). I doubt the MK42 will look right, those pics are well shot but the paint job looks too diffuse still, but I'd love to be proved wrong. SDCC will be interesting, hope for some updates on the 42 and from eFX.

Yeah it's tough, ultimately you need more specularity in the paint, polishing diffused matte paint doesn't accomplish the same effect (though it looks better that non-polished). I doubt the MK42 will look right, those pics are well shot but the paint job looks too diffuse still, but I'd love to be proved wrong. SDCC will be interesting, hope for some updates on the 42 and from eFX.

Yea, I'm pretty confident that we'll see the line up of the Iron Patriot and MK42 lifesize busts at this years Comic Con....and hopefully a few of those newly announced Iron Man 1/4 Maquettes :yess: or is it too early :dunno I wonder....

Back