Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="https://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13413"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13413" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Really dissappointed in what I see in the trailer. Don't like the design and everything looks cartoonish. Not what I was expecting at all.

Is the whole movie suppposed to be CGI? EVen the human actors?

Well...it was kinda cool the first time I saw it, but even then, I knew I was watching an all CGI film. Don't get me wrong, I actually love CGI and appreciate the art of it. And I'm sure it's an amazing technically brilliant film that probably will push CGI a bit further and throw in some new techniques with filmaking, since I know they used some new advanced motion capture technology, and "virtual" filmaking.
But, I couldn't help but think...this is just like the last Star Wars movies. Lots of CGI and crazy creatures, that were cool, but you knew were CGI.

NOW...maybe the reason I'm a little let down, is because I'm still on a DISTRICT 9 high, and I loved how the CGI and aliens and the mech and weapons, looked REAL and fit into a realistic world we are familar with.
That's where my hopes were for Avatar.
Yet watching the trailer, it just seems like an amazingly detailed colorful, ANIMATED CGI world, enviroment and creatures. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that! But it just looks like a high tech animation and nothing more.
But we shall see. I have hopes it still kicks ass, makes for an amazing 3D experience at the movies, and the maybe the CGI, even being CGI, is still amazing and breaks some new ground.

And perhaps he designed it this way. So who knows. If Cameron wanted to make something that yes, looks animated, looks CGI, and just wanted to make a very visually stunning movie that will translate well into a 3D experience, then I have some faith.

:angelsmil

Last edited:
Watch this trailer in HD and crank the size of this thing, then you'll see the details, and even the way the characters move...this is not a CGI suckfest. This is the best CGI out there so far. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive to the greatness of the work here.

We work with Maya and do animations in my course, and we discuss many films and this will be the one movie that all animators will have to top. Man, James Cameron set a bar so high for expectations you guys would never be happy with whatever end result we got. You watch it in HD and you will truly admire the work that went into this. Pausing it in certain moments just to see how jaw dropping realistic some of the details on the blue characters. Wow, just wow!

Shutup Bodie!

And Chase, STFU!!!

Is the whole movie suppposed to be CGI? EVen the human actors?

Well...it was kinda cool the first time I saw it, but even then, I knew I was watching an all CGI film. Don't get me wrong, I actually love CGI and appreciate the art of it. And I'm sure it's an amazing technically brilliant film that probably will push CGI a bit further and throw in some new techniques with filmaking, since I know they used some new advanced motion capture technology, and "virtual" filmaking.
But, I couldn't help but think...this is just like the last Star Wars movies. Lots of CGI and crazy creatures, that were cool, but you knew were CGI.

NOW...maybe the reason I'm a little let down, is because I'm still on a DISTRICT 9 high, and I loved how the CGI and aliens and the mech and weapons, looked REAL and fit into a realistic world we are familar with.
That's where my hopes were for Avatar.
Yet watching the trailer, it just seems like an amazingly detailed colorful, ANIMATED CGI world, enviroment and creatures. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that! But it just looks like a high tech animation and nothing more.
But we shall see. I have hopes it still kicks ass, makes for an amazing 3D experience at the movies, and the maybe the CGI, even being CGI, is still amazing and breaks some new ground.

:angelsmil

If you look you'll see that none of the humans are CGI'ed. Maybe they polished up the look of the actors to get them to match the tones and colours of the world so they look like they belong in that world setting, but they are by no means animated.

I am impressed, but lets see how the story is before we go there.

btw Most things non human in nature are easier to capture in terms of looking realistic. That's why the Prawns looked real, but if you notice that film was overall grainy and thus some details were lost, like the scenes with the mother ship, and even the smaller one in District 9. Nothing against D9, but the CGI in Avatar is superior.

Watch this trailer in HD and crank the size of this thing, then you'll see the details, and even the way the characters move...this is not a CGI suckfest. This is the best CGI out there so far. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive to the greatness of the work here.

We work with Maya and do animations in my course, and we discuss many films and this will be the one movie that all animators will have to top. Man, James Cameron set a bar so high for expectations you guys would never be happy with whatever end result we got. You watch it in HD and you will truly admire the work that went into this. Pausing it in certain moments just to see how jaw dropping realistic some of the details on the blue characters. Wow, just wow!

Shutup Bodie!

And Chase, STFU!!!

This looks like Stephen Sommers CGI. The stuff from the LOTR trilogy years back looked better than this.

I went to the panel for this at SDCC....Cameron ended up showing us around 24 minutes or so of footage. It was all 3-D and did look rather impressive.

That being said, whether or not it is the masterpiece he thinks it is, still remains to be seen. Sometimes I do think he drinks a little bit too much of his own kool-aid.

Could not have said it better ;) Definitely will see this in theaters, but I'm a sci-fi nut. Nothing I have seen or heard so far has convinced me that it will be a hit with the general movie-going public. Not that that's a bad thing :lol

Maybe we should just trust James Cameron and see for ourselves!! lol

Here is a statement:

AVATAR takes us to a spectacular new world beyond our imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on a journey of redemption, discovery and unexpected love, as he leads a heroic battle to save a civilization. The film was first conceived by Cameron 14 years ago, when the means to realize his vision did not yet exist. Now, after four years of actual production work, AVATAR delivers a fully immersive cinematic experience of a new kind, where the revolutionary technology invented to make the film, disappears into the emotion of the characters and the sweep of the story.

wow.... have you all forgotten the Iron Man trailer? Everyone said the CGI looked fake in that (and it did) and was proclaming it to be a big pile of Fail... and then when the film came out, guess what.... it was better

Calm down guys, seriously.

If you look you'll see that none of the humans are CGI'ed. Maybe they polished up the look of the actors to get them to match the tones and colours of the world so they look like they belong in that world setting, but they are by no means animated.

btw Most things non human in nature are easier to capture in terms of looking realistic. That's why the Prawns looked real, but if you notice that film was overall grainy and thus some details were lost, like the scenes with the mother ship, and even the smaller one in District 9. Nothing against D9, but the CGI in Avatar is superior.

None of the humans are CGI? Hm, I was under the impression that a lot of the humans were. I have a friend who worked on the AVATAR set, in the mo-cap stages, and she said that a lot of the humans were going to be CGI. The way some of them move in the teaser certainly looks "fake"... but I'm not expert, of course.

It's not that it was grainy or trying to hide anything. And if they were, they did it to full effect, which just made it look realistic anyway.
But they didn't have to hide the Prawns in quick shots, or low light. They had them out in the middle of the Afican daytime, amonst the enviroment and actors and was very well done.
As far as the Mothership, detail was not lost. It gave the perfect impression of something hovering high in the distant, amongst the haze, smog, sun, and air pollution that would have given it that look. I bought it 100% and saw what they were doing.

And if the effects are superior in Avatar, I'm sure they are. But it probably also cost 200 million. District 9 did all that for just under 30 million...............

Have not had my hopes up for this and so far am unimpressed. But, as many have said, have to give Cameron the benefit of the doubt.

This looks like Stephen Sommers CGI. The stuff from the LOTR trilogy years back looked better than this.

Then you sir are clearly blind. lol

Not saying the CGI isn't bad in LOTR, but if you see the blue characters (don't know their names), they have lots of human details and movements to them, much like your Gollum.

Then you sir are clearly blind. lol

Not saying the CGI isn't bad in LOTR, but if you see the blue characters (don't know their names), they have lots of human details and movements to them, much like your Gollum.

Nope. Those blue creatures look as wonky as the vampires in I Am Legend.

Quoted by someone: "It's not that it was grainy or trying to hide anything. And if they were, they did it to full effect, which just made it look realistic anyway."

Again, they had some guy wearing a suit for all three films, for Gollum's (sp?) character in the LOTR series, Prawns in District 9, and the blue characters in Avatar. The Prawns again, are easy to capture because they don't have the same kind of human qualities that these blue creatures in Avatar possess as did Gollum's character. And yes, the grainy and smog like nature of the film's atmosphere was intentional to help blend the ships into the film and make them look more believable. But no way you can tell me that the CGI is better than in Avatar. I guess you can, I just won't agree with it or believe it to be true.

The other thing people tend to forget is Pandora in Avatar is an all-out alien world fully CGI'ed vs. District 9 which is set in Africa in a real city. One is much more difficult to pull off than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back