Attendee killed in car collision trying to keep place in line for Comic-Con panel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmid303

Super Freak
Reaction score
SAN DIEGO — A 53-year-old Comic-Con visitor who had been camping in front of the San Diego Convention Center to secure a place at the popular “Twilight” panel was struck by a car and killed Tuesday.

Police closed westbound Harbor from Fifth to Eighth avenues for more than two hours while they investigated the crash, said police Lt. Andra Brown. The road has since reopened.

The woman was in a crosswalk and had a red light when she tried to run across Harbor toward the convention center about 9:20 a.m., said Sgt. Ron Glass.

The driver of one car saw her and slowed down, but the driver of a Subaru Outback didn’t see her in time, Glass said. The pedestrian tried to stop her own momentum when she saw the oncoming Subaru but ended up tripping into the car, Brown said.

An ambulance took the unconscious woman, who was bleeding profusely from her head, to a hospital where she died, Brown said. Her name has not been released.

The 67-year-old driver, a San Diego man, stopped and was interviewed by officers.

Comic-Con fans said the woman, who was with a group, had been in line since Sunday for the panel for “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2,” set for Thursday afternoon in Hall H. The highly-anticipated panel will include cast appearances and exclusive footage from the movie.

Fans said the convention center staff was about to switch the line, so the beginning became the end, and that the pedestrian was running to keeping her place in line.

“It’s such a sad loss for our community,” said 23-year-old Melissa Sandate of Tucson, who is a fellow fan of the teen vampire saga.

She said the woman was not wearing a costume at the time.

“It is with tremendous sadness that we offer our heartfelt condolences,” said Comic-Con spokesman David Glanzer. “Our sincere thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved in this tragic incident.”

Fans took to Twitter shortly under the ha___ag #RIPTwiFanG after the crash to express condolences and were working to organize a moment of silence and memorial fund.

The convention opens to some fans Wednesday for preview night.

It sounds like the line being shifted caused a panic. It kinda sucks.

https://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...an-diego-dies/

Going out waiting in line for a Twilight movie preview, talk about a waste.

Dying for some Twilight engagement? Really?! That is not the way I would want to go. I guess not everyone gets to leave this planet on their terms or in a dignifying way. It just happens. Sad story indeed.

Wow. That's incredibly sad.

ComiCon is supposed to be a place for excitement and fun, no matter what your fandom is. RIP.

At first I was a little irritated by the article when it mentioned that "the woman was not wearing a costume at the time." Sounded like the reporter was taking a snarky shot at fan culture. (A story about a traffic fatality would be a SERIOUSLY lousy place for that kind of snottiness, of course.)

But I suppose they might be trying to say it wasn't her costume that made her trip. At least I hope that's why that's in there.

Either way, it's a sad story and a terrible way to start the Con.

I also thought the mentioning of the costume was a bit out of place for some reason. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. :(

"Fans said the convention center staff was about to switch the line, so the beginning became the end, and that the pedestrian was running to keeping her place in line."

Why the F__ would they do that? F__ with all the people that came days earlier, that is such a ****** move from the event,

"Fans said the convention center staff was about to switch the line, so the beginning became the end, and that the pedestrian was running to keeping her place in line."

Why the F__ would they do that? F__ with all the people that came days earlier, that is such a ****** move from the event,

Greed man. Greed. Overly fanatical fans, combined with a piss-poor effort on the event's part to get things done properly and safely.

Never heard of a death related to SDCC like that. May she rest in peace......

Yeah I've not heard about death at SDCC but wasn't it last year that a guy was stabbed in Hall H with a pen or something?

I also thought the blurb about the costume was odd. Like they were poking fun at people at these conventions because they dress up.

And that swapping the line where the end is the beginning? What they hell? They want a RIOT?

Yeah I've not heard about death at SDCC but wasn't it last year that a guy was stabbed in Hall H with a pen or something?

Harry Potter rage.

Chalk one up for the Darwin Awards! :yess:

Pretty much, 60 year old woman rushing out into traffic, ignoring traffic signals, not because her house was on fire, or baby was in the hospital, but because she needed to see a preview for a terrible teeny bopper movie. Sorry, I pity the guy who's car she damaged.

I also thought the blurb about the costume was odd. Like they were poking fun at people at these conventions because they dress up.

And that swapping the line where the end is the beginning? What they hell? They want a RIOT?

That comment about the costume makes me think of two things,
She was planning to put on a Costume, maybe she had it or something, (I know they don't mention that in the article, but the comment is so odd) so maybe she was planning to be a 60 year old Bella,
Or the other people in the line were wearing costumes and she was the only one not wearing one, or one of the few, if a line of 150 people with costumes and she doesn't have one, then it would be something they mention.

unless is just poking fun

Harry Potter rage.

Pretty much, 60 year old woman rushing out into traffic, ignoring traffic signals, not because her house was on fire, or baby was in the hospital, but because she needed to see a preview for a terrible teeny bopper movie. Sorry, I pity the guy who's car she damaged.

jesus.... :slap :lol

Hey, that guy's gotta live with the fact he killed this stupid woman for the rest of his life and it was clearly in no way his fault. Read the story, do you run out into traffic when you clearly see cars coming and the sign flashing Don't Walk?

Hey, that guy's gotta live with the fact he killed this stupid woman for the rest of his life and it was clearly in no way his fault. Read the story, do you run out into traffic when you clearly see cars coming and the sign flashing Don't Walk?

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly: This thread needs to be merged into the "You can't make this $#*! up" thread. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back