Asmus Toys: Witch-king figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ported him over to a ANH Vader body? If so I'm wondering people did for the feet? The ankle ball is too big for a HT ankle and the Vader body has that odd peg design that's far to noarrow. I imagine I could modify the foot to accept a different kind of joint, but not sure if there is a simpler answer.

Okay, so I just now discovered the existence of this figure, and it looks really cool to me in the photos I've seen--but apparently people have some huge problems with it? Can anyone give me a rundown on the general consensus regarding this figure? Is it just that the body isn't ideal for posing? Or are there more serious issues?

I have the Nazgul and Steed on pre-order at BBTS and even though this figure has come and gone I might try to track one down if the issues with it aren't too bad...

Main problem is the body and most collectors want to replace it with something else (loose joints that were reinforced w/electrical tape). Apparently Asmus is working on a correctly scaled replacement body that they will offer for sale, at some point. Other issue is the robes need some futzing, but nothing beyond water treatment and maybe cutting or removing the figure's sleeves to reveal more of the armour. Really for what you are getting (despite being sold out, they are still selling pretty close to retail), I think it's very much worth picking up, especially if you are committed to getting the Ringwraith and Steed.

Okay, so I just now discovered the existence of this figure, and it looks really cool to me in the photos I've seen--but apparently people have some huge problems with it? Can anyone give me a rundown on the general consensus regarding this figure? Is it just that the body isn't ideal for posing? Or are there more serious issues?

I have the Nazgul and Steed on pre-order at BBTS and even though this figure has come and gone I might try to track one down if the issues with it aren't too bad...

It is all about how far down the rabbit hole you want to go...I simply water treated the robes to get the desired look. I left everything else alone and I am really happy with it. I did not personally feel that a body swap was really necessary on it.

i recently received mine brand new from BBTS... the body is solid on mine. Perhaps the probelm was corrected

Its a great looking figure, I just water treated mine and adjusted the fabric a little bit. I love it and mine holds his pose and his weapons really well.
I suppose some people have issues with the proportions on the figure. But thats is mostly a matter of taste.

yGJKK7E.png

Its a great looking figure, I just water treated mine and adjusted the fabric a little bit. I love it and mine holds his pose and his weapons really well.
I suppose some people have issues with the proportions on the figure. But thats is mostly a matter of taste.

yGJKK7E.png

I'm jealous of you.. Mine has extremely loose joints, the arms can only hang alongside his body :/

Mine's got a serious case of flopsy, too. He stands fine, but can't really hold up his weapons. He just stands there with them at his sides looking kind of dejected. :lol

Still hoping Asmus makes a solid replacement body available. If not I'll have to find an alternative.

Mine's got a serious case of flopsy, too. He stands fine, but can't really hold up his weapons. He just stands there with them at his sides looking kind of dejected. :lol

Still hoping Asmus makes a solid replacement body available. If not I'll have to find an alternative.

Have you tried fixing the articulation with a coat or two of enamel on the connectors? I didn't need to , in this particular case, but I've done it with other figures and it works wonders

Have you tried fixing the articulation with a coat or two of enamel on the connectors? I didn't need to , in this particular case, but I've done it with other figures and it works wonders

I've heard about that as a solution for loose joints, but I've never had the guts to try it. I don't think I'd do it on this figure, though, as I don't like the proportions of the body. (Short torso, strangely wide hips.) If I'm gonna put in the work of stripping him down, I figured I might as well switch out the body to one I like better.

I've heard about that as a solution for loose joints, but I've never had the guts to try it. I don't think I'd do it on this figure, though, as I don't like the proportions of the body. (Short torso, strangely wide hips.) If I'm gonna put in the work of stripping him down, I figured I might as well switch out the body to one I like better.

I'm still not sure what the best body switch for him would be

Asmus has said they are developing a replacement body that will be released for sale, sometime in the future. I'd wait for that.

Here is how mine is displayed at the moment:
PICT2186.jpg
I removed the sleeves, water treated the clothes and "fixed" the joints.

And this is what I have done with the joints:
I took some sewing thread and wrapped it around/inside the joints until they had the desired stiffness.
2014-07-24 15.04.19_mod.jpg
I know it's not a good picture but maybe you get the idea.

How did you get the thread inside the joints?

Let's take the shoulder swivel joint which is shown in the picture as example.
Basically you wrap the thread around the arm a couple of times to secure it. Then you start wrapping it inside the joint by squeezing it into the gap between the two parts of the joint. If you can't get it in use a sharp flathead screwdriver or a knive to bend the gap open a bit. Keep wrapping until you get the desired stiffness. When you're done secure the thread with a small drop of superglue.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

Let's take the shoulder swivel joint which is shown in the picture as example.
Basically you wrap the thread around the arm a couple of times to secure it. Then you start wrapping it inside the joint by squeezing it into the gap between the two parts of the joint. If you can't get it in use a sharp flathead screwdriver or a knive to bend the gap open a bit. Keep wrapping until you get the desired stiffness. When you're done secure the thread with a small drop of superglue.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

Yep, I follow what you're saying. It will probably all make sense once I actually attempt this modification. :)

Back