Asmus Toys: Witch-king figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone know why they called this figure morgul lord instead of the Witch King? was it cheaper to use that name or something?

does anyone know why they called this figure morgul lord instead of the Witch King? was it cheaper to use that name or something?

Morgul Lord is his title and name just as much as Witch King of Angmar is, since he is the Lord of Minas Morgul.

okay but it makes little sense to name the figure that because Witch King is the name way more commonly known and I think from a sales point of view for random people maybe searching the name don't you think it would of made way more sense to go with? I'm not claiming Morgul lord is an incorrect name, just an odd choice to go with considering 99% of Witch king stuff out there is labeled witch king.

I suppose. They have the Lord of the Rings license so it would be highly bizarre if they were allowed to make the figure under the official license but not call it Witch King.

I think their primary source was the SSC Premium Format also called Morgul Lord. Everything came from that statue: environment, leg armor, name.

Last edited:
I wonder what he is referred to as more in the movie and book. Both are equally recognizable to me. I feel like they may have said Morgul Lord more even.

in the movie (which the figure is based off ) I feel he was only called the Witch king.

I believe he was referred to as the morgul lord at least once. I actually like that they chose to call the figure morgul lord instead of witch king. Also in the movie he was lord of minas morgul not king of agmar (sp?)

Yes I believe Angmar is an older place, or perhaps the region that Minas Morgul is in. I don't exactly remember. I do believe they called him the Morgul Lord in the movies. Morgul Lord is a cooler name anyways.

Angmar is north of the kingdom of Arnor (where remained Isildur's son, Valandil) and north of Bree. The Witchking started from Angmar and crushed all the Dunedain in the north.

The Witchtking is never called Morgul Lord in the movies. Gandalf says : "Sauron has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who would lead Mordor's armies in war, the one they say no living man can kill, the Witch-King of Angmar. You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop. He is the lord of the Nazgûl, the greatest of the nine. Minas Morgul is his lair".
While the WK himself says: "Fool! No man can slay the Lord of The Nazgûl! Die now!".
These are the only two times when someone talks about him using a name.

In the books the name Morgul Lord is used by Gandaf in Rivendell when Frodo wakes up, while Frodo calls him Morgul-king when he's at the bottom of Cirith Ungol stairs. And he's referred as Witch-lord only in the prologue.

Last edited:
I think it's a distinction created for the movies. The Witch King implies the ghost version of the lead Nazgul (hmm, where's that word in all this?).

The Morgul Lord title was only used in film reference to describe him in this form and in this armor. Weta formalized this with their release of the Eowyn vs. Morgul Lord statues.
Eowyn%20and%20Morgul%20Lord.jpg

Angmar is north of the kingdom of Arnor (where remained Isildur's son, Valandil) and north of Bree. The Witchking started from Angmar and crushed all the Dunedain in the north.

The Witchtking is never called Morgul Lord in the movies. Gandalf says : "Sauron has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who would lead Mordor's armies in war, the one they say no living man can kill, the Witch-King of Angmar. You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on Weathertop. He is the lord of the Nazgûl, the greatest of the nine. Minas Morgul is his lair".
While the WK himself says: "Fool! No man can slay the Lord of The Nazgûl! Die now!".

In the books the name Morgul Lord is used by Gandaf in Rivendell when Frodo wakes up, while Frodo calls him Morgul-king when he's at the bottom of Cirith Ungol stairs. And he's referred as Witch-lord only in the prologue.

Wow, how's that for some detail! Thanks.

It's been so long since I've read the books, but I still mix and match my memories of the book with the movies, they are kind of combined into one LOTR brain codex.

Correct. I just couldn't remember if Gandalf called him morgul lord or not. I also kind of see it how Dave does. I think of the ring wraith form more as the witch king and the return of the king form as the morgul lord

Correct. I just couldn't remember if Gandalf called him morgul lord or not. I also kind of see it how Dave does. I think of the ring wraith form more as the witch king and the return of the king form as the morgul lord

Same here. He was only a King of men, but there is no King of Minas Morgul. He is basically Lord of the one of Sauron's manors.

Soo.. That new body still coming for sasuage fingers with gothmog?

Haha sausage fingers. I really hope it does release with him. I haven't heard many details on Gothmog really.

After seeing Gandalf releasing with an orc head... and possibly Gothmog with a body. Anyone think they are aiming to make a free figure you can assemble with purchases? That would be epic.

Well, since Eowyn is crouching and Witch king is only slightly hunched, it looks like standing straight up, Eowyn there would go to about the bottom of WK's helm points. Say then Eowyn is an average to tall woman at 5'8", puts WK at about 6'4" seems to me... Based on those statues. I don't remember if Tolkein gave a specific height for WK.

Back