Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Gandalf arrived today. And damn, to me it is 100% worth the wait. The only negative things I could say have already been covered (loose mailbox peg, hat doesn’t fit and magnet is off so it sits at a rakish gangster angle).
But everything else is definitely a premium release, from the obvious like the sculpt and hair to the beautiful packaging, crisp detailing on the sword and staffs (staves?). Thank you Asmus, he has jumped right up into one of my favourite figures I have (or have had past tense).
It was even mailed well (art box, shipper, bubble wrap and outer box) so arrived in great condition.
Very happy customer.

My Crown GtG just arrived and I rushed to check out the head sculpt. I'll check the entire figure this evening.

The first thing that I want to say about the eyes is that everyone that has posted issues and no issues are correct! From a normal viewing distance and to be honest, from fairly up close, the eyes look good. The head sculpt looks fantastic. The only thing that I found a little distracting was, as few others had previously posted, that they are SUPER glossy. But a non-issue to me.

BUT...

There is a rather strange effect with the eyes when viewed VERY up close and in a certain angled lighting. There is some space between the eye-balls and the upper eye lids, and when angled so that the room light hits it, a deep shadow is created. I haven't set the figure up yet, so unsure if it will be an issue with the lighting, when on display, but it is there. Macro photos only accentuate the effect even more.

I'll post a more thorough review of the complete figure, once I've set it up but I truly believe that Asmus has released an incredible first figure in their Crown series.

CG 1.jpg

CG 3.jpg

Just received mine today as well, and afraid to say I find the eyes to be just as... problematic in hand as in all the pics so far. Yeah from an arm's length or when hidden in shadow they work well enough, but given how much I'm paying for these things I still like be able to appreciate a sculpt up close as well. And this one just doesn't really allow that.

In fact I'm kinda surprised how little detail is in the sculpt. Watching the movie in 4K it's hard to miss all the fine wrinkles around McKellen's eyes, but the sculpt has hardly any of that, except maybe for a few soft wrinkles in the bags under his eyes.

That being said, I still see a lot of potential in the figure, and it does come with some cool accessories and display options. But it's going to take some modding a a whole ton of futzing until I'm happy enough with it to display. It's definitely not one of those figures you can just pull out of the box, futz for five minutes, and be done with it. Lol

Great to see various in hand photos now. :clap

Although I must admit, as a day one, hell even an hour one pre-order over here, I am starting to get a little salty at still not having my invoice! :impatient:

Has anyone in the U.K. had an invoice yet? They said they would let me know alternative courier options when they emailed me my invoice as they are not mailing to the U.K. at the moment.

Canadian here and I also have not had the figure shipped (though I did get an invoice a while back!).

My brother recently ordered a Gimli from them and he was told that he would get an email about additional shipping options to Canada (since they are only doing EMS to here as well). Email never came so he reached out to them and got it shipped via EMS.

The bottom that was glued onto the hat ripped out with ease. I imagine they put the stopper at the bottom to prevent people from messing up the hair work by putting the hat on.

Even with water treating, I cannot get the hat to look right, so I think I may dig out my old Sideshow one.

The bottom that was glued onto the hat ripped out with ease. I imagine they put the stopper at the bottom to prevent people from messing up the hair work by putting the hat on.

Even with water treating, I cannot get the hat to look right, so I think I may dig out my old Sideshow one.
I like the Sideshow one better as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back