Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work on the robes! The water treatment really does seem to make a huge difference and give him that overall slimmer look he had.

My figure has arrived in the US, so I should finally get to see what this thing looks like in a few days. Right now I'm feeling... cautiously optimistic. :D

Stunning photos Universal Key! The clothes definitely hang better when soaked.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Could just be a LOTR collector. To be honest I spend probably 80% of my time here in the LOTR threads.

This is how my 1/6 collecting has evolved, as well.
At one time, I owned over 100 Hot Toys figures, mostly Marvel but also DC, Planet of the Apes, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, and others. It got to be fatiguing, and expensive, trying to keep up with the new releases, and I found it was stressing me out more than giving me pleasure. So I decided just to keep and collect what I truly enjoyed and displayed, and that was my Asmus LOTR and HOBBIT collection.
I sold everything else off, and today my collection of 1/6 is almost exclusively my Asmus Middle Earth figures. I have a good portion of them displayed in Detolfs, and I rearrange and swap out figures periodically. The releases are spread out enough so it doesn’t bankrupt me, and I actually enjoy my collection.
I own every Asmus us release up to this point, including all the V2/slims, and multiples of several. I don’t rule out possibly picking up a stray figure from another property that might interest me, but I haven’t done so for a few years. But I’ll gladly add whatever Middle Earth offering Asmus decides to produce.

Nice work on the robes! The water treatment really does seem to make a huge difference and give him that overall slimmer look he had.

Stunning photos Universal Key! The clothes definitely hang better when soaked.

Universal key that looks incredible, those robes now hang like they would on a real body.
Great work.

Thanks to all for the kind words. Crazy how a simple trick makes such a difference. davejames I think you will like the figure quite a bit the more time you spend with it.

The eyes on yours look way better than anyone elses, almost normal.

gandalf3.jpg

My limited photography skills keep me from getting a good close-up shot of the eyes. The way the eyes on my figure sit it seems the upper eyelids are a little thicker than the lower eyelids. I know someone on Facebook pushed their eyes in the make the eyelids less pronounced. I didn't need to do that on my scultpt.

How does a water treatment exactly work?
You soak the clothes then let them dry into whatever shape you want. It makes them look like a bit more natural like real clothes do when worn for a bit rather than a freshly ironed piece of fabric like how most 1/6th figures arrive out of the box. The creases and crinkles add depth to the clothes.

Compare the pictures of this figure out of the box to the water treated versions above and the latter definitely looks more like Gandalf's screen worn costume :)

Genuine question, what's the point in having them if you just store them away? I'd feel like you'd be better off just selling them after you take the pictures.

I don't just store them away, I have all the boxes sitting next to each other on shelves.
I can open and enjoy them as i please, without worrying about all the damage that would occur
if they were out.
I don't have the room for detolfs, or glass display cases to keep them in.
I also do this for me, not for what other people feel i should be doing- to each their own.

How does a water treatment exactly work?

You soak the clothes then let them dry into whatever shape you want. It makes them look like a bit more natural like real clothes do when worn for a bit rather than a freshly ironed piece of fabric like how most 1/6th figures arrive out of the box. The creases and crinkles add depth to the clothes.

Compare the pictures of this figure out of the box to the water treated versions above and the latter definitely looks more like Gandalf's screen worn costume :)

I use a spray bottle. I find it's easier to control where you want the water. Also, it's easier than undressing the figure and maybe a little safer than dunking the whole thing in the sink. Sometimes you don't want to drench it entirely. I find damp often works better than sopping. Depends on the fabric. Plus, with some figures you don't necessarily want to submerge them. I submerged a figure once and the knee joints loosened up. So it's been the spray bottle for me ever since. It's all about your comfort level.

I use a spray bottle. I find it's easier to control where you want the water. Also, it's easier than undressing the figure and maybe a little safer than dunking the whole thing in the sink. Sometimes you don't want to drench it entirely. I find damp often works better than sopping. Depends on the fabric. Plus, with some figures you don't necessarily want to submerge them. I submerged a figure once and the knee joints loosened up. So it's been the spray bottle for me ever since. It's all about your comfort level.
Yes, that is definitely ideal, especially on clothes with pleather pieces.

Thanks! For this figure I think it's almost mandatory...

I?ll definitely be doing this and the hat stretch trick too, I did the same with saruman after coffee staining his robes the wet shaping really helped especially with his sleeves.

Just getting more and more excited to receive my figure.

Q
Thanks to all for the kind words. Crazy how a simple trick makes such a difference. davejames I think you will like the figure quite a bit the more time you spend with it.

View attachment 508709

My limited photography skills keep me from getting a good close-up shot of the eyes. The way the eyes on my figure sit it seems the upper eyelids are a little thicker than the lower eyelids. I know someone on Facebook pushed their eyes in the make the eyelids less pronounced. I didn't need to do that on my scultpt.

For curiosity?s sake, can you show a pic of the eyelids pushed in?

I can?t imagine that making any kind of improvement.

Sorry but I don?t remember who posted it on Facebook or I would. And to clarify it was the eyes that were pushed in. I don?t think he modified the eyelids.

When you say pushed in...do you mean he pushed the eyes so they could be more flush with the eyelids? As in, he took the head off, turned it over and forcefully pushed the eyes ‘outward’?

When you say pushed in...do you mean he pushed the eyes so they could be more flush with the eyelids? As in, he took the head off, turned it over and forcefully pushed the eyes ‘outward’?

That's how I understood it. It made the eyelids less pronounced. You could still see that the eyes were recessed, it just wasn't as obvious.

Back