Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very curious to know what will make it an "Ultimate" version. Multiple heads? New diorama base? What other accessories apart from the three staves and his Hobbit scarf (which came with the original release) could he include?

What would you guys like to see?

No PERS, please. And since Asmus has never dabbled in moveable eyes, I wouldn't expect it.

Bushy rooted eyebrows would make this release that much more realistic. I don’t believe I’ve seen any company do this but did see a custom Saruman with “real” hair glued on and it looked superb. Furthermore, I’ve said it a few times but really hope they nail the correct shade for the wizards hat this time.

“He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver
scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond
the brim of his hat.”

That was the one feature that I feel Gimli is lacking.

The eyebrows wouldn't be much larger of a stretch than the Hobbit feet, I would think.

In regards to moveable eyes, I don't think Gandalf calls for it, but at the same time there's zero issue if they're independently controlled stalks to move the eyes. Jack Sparrow is a great recent example. Now that being said, I don't see how to easily do it with the rooted hair.

I think PERS was brought up because some work in progress pics shown was a head/face sculpt with no eyes.

Yes, they showed a headsculpt with no eyes. But if I had to guess, that's because they plan to assemble the (fixed) eyes separately, not because they want to introduce moveable eyes.

Yes, they showed a headsculpt with no eyes. But if I had to guess, that's because they plan to assemble the (fixed) eyes separately, not because they want to introduce moveable eyes.

I agree with this. There's no chance they go with PERS.

PERS are awful and can go wrong VERY easily.

Not necessarily. In my experience, of 2 figs with PERS I've had, both rocked.
But I don't think Asmus is going to do PERS. It would be a great improvement, but they won't bother or dare.
Since they are so familiar with rooted hair, they should go the whole distance and root the eyebrows. That might be easier for them to pull.
And they REALLY should get their act together once and for all regarding headsculpt accuracy. If they fixed that, I wouldn't mind anything else, really...

Accessories:

- Balin's log? (since they seem to have a Balin's tomb in the works)

- Shadowfax? (since Asmus has done horses in the past successfully; sold separately)

- His chariot? (same)

- A Balrog-themed diorama base? I have an idea for it: below the figure, the base would be a bunch of bricks of the Khazad-Dûm's bridge, from which a plume of black smoke would emerge upwards towards the front. Once the plume reached some height and distance from Gandalf, the fume would spread a bit and let see a bit of some huge, irate Balrog head!!
This base would ship disassembled, of course, and choosing the right materials, it wouldn't necessarily weight a lot. It might be feasible in terms of increased cost and shipping.

This will never happen... but it would rock! And the "ultimate Gandalf the Gray" deserves it! :)

m.

Somebody posted in the Ask Asmus thread that you have to register again. I did using all the same info and I'm in.

Well if its with licencing people "soon"
Is about as accurate as you can get. And until that's done, I'm sure we won't see any pics either unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-lord-of-the-rings-2301187-960-404.jpg

Back