Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PERS is a neat feature but overall looks worse and is not as well received as in place eye positions. It's cool and all, but my static figures look better than my PERS'd DX's in the eye area.

Other than showing the partial sculpt without the eyes in place, has Asmus actually confirmed any kind of PERS system? Or are we just speculating? (I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, so it's entirely possible I missed an announcement.) Because I thought PERS, while an interesting experiment, had been pretty widely seen as a failure. It worked well on Jack Sparrow but on Indiana Jones it kind of bombed. Even Hot Toys, has abandoned it these days. (Do they still do it on the occasional Batman?)

Unless we hear it from Asmus directly, I'm remaining very skeptical that they're actually planing something like that.

Other than showing the partial sculpt without the eyes in place, has Asmus actually confirmed any kind of PERS system? Or are we just speculating? (I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, so it's entirely possible I missed an announcement.) Because I thought PERS, while an interesting experiment, had been pretty widely seen as a failure. It worked well on Jack Sparrow but on Indiana Jones it kind of bombed. Even Hot Toys, has abandoned it these days. (Do they still do it on the occasional Batman?)

Unless we hear it from Asmus directly, I'm remaining very skeptical that they're actually planing something like that.

No it’s all speculation on here. I doubt Gandalf will have it. Think we are seeing how he is constructed which is cool.
Don’t think Hot Toys has fully abandoned it. Think it’s more a cost/price point issue.

I only asked if we were getting something similar to PERS originally. Didn't mean to get people going on this. It could be that the eyes will be separate from the head but not movable. Might allow for more realism or just easier production.

On a side note, I really hope Asmus makes his hat blue. According to WETA its "Natural Blue". I have never seen the previous version in hand but in all the pics his hat looks to be the exact same color as his robes - which is incorrect.

I only asked if we were getting something similar to PERS originally. Didn't mean to get people going on this. It could be that the eyes will be separate from the head but not movable. Might allow for more realism or just easier production.

Gotcha. I was afraid I'd missed something. (Which always a possibility with me!) I'm very curious to know the reason why the eyes are cut out of that sculpt, though. I suppose painting the eyes could be easier if they're a separate piece? Or maybe they're making the eyes out of a different, more glass-like material? Or maybe it is a PERS-type system?

It would be great if Asmus could chime in here ... :stick:stick

I believe it's "Parallel Eyeball Rolling System." It was a technique Hot Toys tried where you could position the eyes of a figure. Worked pretty well on some of their Batman and Joker figures. And Jack Sparrow in particular. On other figures it was ... eh ... less loved.

I am so glad you are doing a new Gandalf. I'm new to the LOTR/Hobbit ASMUS figures (Thorin and Bilbo are amazing!!) but when I looked back and saw your Gandalf I was gutted I missed him, but this updated figure looks even better!!
Out of curiosity, will this be a full figure? I would love to have all the accessories from the first release.
Keep up the good work ASMUS - you are amazing!

I totally disagree. I think PERS works really well and looks great.

Thanks for the info! I don't think Asmus has to make the eyeball system parallel. It could be independent movable eyeballs like what HTs are doing these days.

According to my limited PERS experience, only with Bespin Luke and the DX02, when PERS was cool, it was extremely so. It was cool when you were able to reposition eyes quickly and without much fuss. That was so on Luke, not so much with Bats. Also, not having to position both eyes separately was very convenient. In summary: for PERS to rock, the PERS mechanism has to be easy to reach (head or hair easy to remove) and easy to change (not having to use tools, synchronous movement of both eyes).

But those are design problems. Then there were execution problems, such as not leaving creepy, unnatural empty spaces between eyes and eyelids, and setting both eyes straight (no crossed eyes, even slightly!). As far as I experienced PERS, HT more or less nailed these issues.

@Bucky Underbelly: I am curious as to the PERS flops you mention. What was the problem with that Indiana Jones?

m.

May not be a huge surprise, but it was confirmed today that GTG 2.0 is officially one of the next three figures.

The 3 in progress are :

Galadriel, Gandalf the Grey and Elrond.
I will see if I can get some in progress photos for you guys.

The question is, will it be a full figure? Slim? Will there be a "just the head" option?

Ah I hope this isn’t a slim release. The bridge base that came with the previous release was sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back