Asmus Toys : Legolas (wip thread)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he looks fantastic!

Zero issues, in my opinion!

:clap

(That skin texture should smooth out a bit in casting and painting. As I understand it you have to kind of exaggerate the textures a bit initially because they'll soften slightly throughout the process.)

I don't have anything lotr but legolas is my favorite and it looks great so far.

Just saw on instagram that this was sculpted by Vimal Kerketta. Here's to hoping it doesn't receive the ol' squish and tweak. And that Asmus stays in hot pursuit of sameways talent for future figs.

Just saw on instagram that this was sculpted by Vimal Kerketta. Here's to hoping it doesn't receive the ol' squish and tweak. And that Asmus stays in hot pursuit of sameways talent for future figs.

Yeah just saw this myself. No wonder the sculpt looks so good...!!!

Great sculpt, can't wait Asmus to screw it with bad paint and changing it during production for no reason at all

Great sculpt, can't wait Asmus to screw it with bad paint and changing it for during production for no reason at all

I understand there's some sarcasm in that remark (or not) but it's freaking hilarious because that's exactly what it feels like is happening. They get this great sculpt and change it at the last second either because some schmuck in management wants to "tweak" it or they don't review production samples before they start mass producing.

Someone in the forums actually had the balls to suggest they were intentionally screwing up the sculpts to prevent from having to pay likeness rights. Yes, it's ludicrous and paranoid but sheesh, I'm coming up short with explanations.

I just don't get it :slap

Many things can happen between seeing a raw sculpt and shipped figures.

One is the approval process by the license holder. Just because the board likes a sculpt doesn't mean the people that own the rights do.

Second, simply the process of making PVC items. Distortion can happen when the heads are pulled from the molds when they are too hot. They have to be warm but it could be that the past parts were just too hot so it caused distortion. It could also be that the sculptors working for Asmus don't take into account the fluctuations of the manufacturing process well enough to counter the changes the the sculpt will go through. In the customs world, the sculpt is molded in silicone and then cast in resin. The process gives a good representation of the original sculpt. PVC is not that way at all.

It could also be that the factory casting the heads isn't as good as some of the companies. Asmus in general is on the lower end of price yet produce far less than some one like Hot Toys. To me, that means they are either making less of profit, probably, but also means the production costs have to be lower which means less precision.

Just some thoughts and possible insights.

bf5c6de640ac40469c7e1df9181e9e0d.gif

My response if asmus turns another perfect sculpt into, well, you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asmus hasn't posted here in two months, I wouldn't expect any kind of updates anytime soon.

I can't blame their spokesman for being absent. There is a big difference between constructive criticism, that most members give, and the diatribe that a few members can't seem to help themselves from. I imagine hearing over and over again how crappy the product is that the company you work for puts out would get quite tiresome.

I can't blame their spokesman for being absent. There is a big difference between constructive criticism, that most members give, and the diatribe that a few members can't seem to help themselves from. I imagine hearing over and over again how crappy the product is that the company you work for puts out would get quite tiresome.

It's telling that enough people feel this way.

I have never bought an Asmus product - I honestly hope Legolas is good. He is my favourite character.

Back