Asmus Toys: Legolas @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I love it. I think it's a perfect compromise.

The sculpted part really helps add to the character likeness and the rooted helps with being able to pose with longer hair draping down over the figure. I think it's a great idea and I hope we see more of it with figures like Haldir and Eowyn 2.0

Really, my eyes are immediately drawn to the difference between the two. Rather they just picked one.

Really, my eyes are immediately drawn to the difference between the two. Rather they just picked one.
Usually not a fan of sculpted + rooted as well. Reminds of the recent figure Daenerys from Threezero where they went with both and it just doesn't look good.

There's such a big difference between the two that the transition from sculpted hair to rooted just doesn't look right. That said, I think it works better here on Legolas than others that I've seen.

171153051_6205320842827025_4724350903994417801_n.jpg

Obviously, I need to see more pictures of this Legolas figure in different poses and displays to have a solid opinion, but after this preview I have to say the following.

Until we can appreciate, clothing, arms and armour looks really really nice, as usual with you Asmus, what is fantastic. The rooted hair seems quite natural and well done from my point of view, even without being lamb hair, and his colour looks accurate too. My complaints are about the sculpted hair; it is very well sculpted, of course, and the colour selection is adecuate this time but... Why not full rooted hair? Everyone was expecting something like that after Galadriel and CS Gandalf and we know you are able to do it. Personally, althought I like it, I consider this is a little step back guys :huh

Regarding the headsculpt, I believe you have done a good work, it must be said, and the likeness is there without doubt. However, we would like to see you improving it because on the one hand, this Legolas looks older than in the LOTR films, as he was the Legolas shown in The Hobitt. You should give him 'sharper' facial traits to make him look young. On the other hand, the figure also remembers to the likeness of Henry Cavill and I'm not sure why, but that is the truth. It's fair to say that your previous Legolas release was exceptionally well sculpted, so please Asmus, take advantage of it and reproduce its strengths once more. You have time to improve the headsculpt and your followers and fans know it. Come on friends!

This is not a critic but just a buyer opinion that I hope helps you to achieve an excellent final product. In the same way, please let me beg you that we would love to see a new Aragorn Crown Series (Black Gate version for instance), some Uruk Hai figures and updating of other ones, like King Theoden. We will be awaiting for news friends! :pray:

Great job Asmus, thanks. Please, when are you going to restart the shipment of products to South America?

Dunno how much it'll effect your overall display but I've seen people use little U-shaped bolts to raise a shelf in a Detolf. Could always go that route. ?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've done the adjusted height thing a few times (I've used chains and hooks instead of the u-bolts, but same idea). Trouble is space is at such a premium in my display room. Don't know if I can free up a cube and a half. Time to start rotating some things out, I suppose.

IMHO Asmus should use lambs wool for all the hair- no half and half. :yuck
No matter how much better this looks than past usage, I think most still dislike it?
They said the braid was to complicated to do in wool-
Then they could compromise, make the braid and it's pleated scalp base on the sides in their rubbery plastic,
and pull the long wool around it.
The facial likeness is also not quite there.
I think the jaw might be a bit to squared toward the bottom?'
But then again we've only seen this sculpt from one angle, but something
is off- however it definitely looks a lot more realistic than the last one.

Yeah, I've done the adjusted height thing a few times (I've used chains and hooks instead of the u-bolts, but same idea). Trouble is space is at such a premium in my display room. Don't know if I can free up a cube and a half. Time to start rotating some things out, I suppose.
Gotcha. Yeah space eventually comes to a halt for all of us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the advantages of custom half and U shelves for Detolfs! I really don't see them enough in people's collections. Stoney and Coco both make them. You can let things pass between levels then without compromising the height of the above cube.

I need to get a u channel one to let the top of Aragorn's HD base to pass up and through.

Until we can appreciate, clothing, arms and armour looks really really nice, as usual with you Asmus, what is fantastic. The rooted hair seems quite natural and well done from my point of view, even without being lamb hair, and his colour looks accurate too. My complaints are about the sculpted hair; it is very well sculpted, of course, and the colour selection is adecuate this time but... Why not full rooted hair? Everyone was expecting something like that after Galadriel and CS Gandalf and we know you are able to do it. Personally, althought I like it, I consider this is a little step back guys :huh

They say they cannot do a full rooter hair because the braid would be to difficult to make

Legalos was not in my planned small display, it looks good but the likeness is off to me as others have said. It's like 90% there and that last little bit is throwing it off for me.

For everyone talking about display space - curio cabinets are a life saver. They're not THAT much bigger than a detolf, depending on what you get (although some certainly can be produced to be massive).

I have one curio and I'm about to get about 10 Hot Toys, with bases and stands, on a shelf using risers. I have four shelves in it. It's so much more effective at keeping dust out than a detolf, much sturdier and looks nicer with the wood finish too.

I intend to buy a second curio later this year, and I'm going to do themed shelves with landscapes to add some eye candy and scenery. Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Republic, Star Wars Empire, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Marvel Avengers, Marvel Miscellaneous and Video Games. I'll keep my one detolf for the other figures I don't have enough to do a display with Jack Sparrow, the few DC characters I have, and then military and Harry Potter for the last shelves.

Curios are definitely awesome. Pulaski makes some good ones if you anyone wants to look into them.

They say they cannot do a full rooter hair because the braid would be to difficult to make

Plus I'd much rather have this more natural looking sculpted hairline, versus something where it's more obviously glued on. Or worse where they use a separate wig piece with that huge cut along the hairline.

The problem is that as of today, there is no mainstream or reasonably accessible/affordable display cabinet that is as minimalistic, relatively sealed, and put together as a detolf.

Sure, one is welcome to argue that they don't like the detolf due to personal tastes; below I'll mention why I dislike most curios. But I want to remain objective for the most part here. From a core standpoint, these are really the most "straight to the point" shelves which provide the greatest viewing capacity for your items while combating dust, fingers, and the like.

The average curio cabinets are too often bulky, having excess wood framing with bulky support beams between the glass panels that just block out your collection. Too often does the curio think it's the center of attention, not what's in it. I don't need to dip, duck, dodge, and dive around the cabinet just to see things in it. In my opinion, most curios I see posted present as something picked up from a garage sale which used to house Grandma's plates. It just doesn't aesthetically match what we try to display in them. But that's just my take on it.

With moderately roomy dimensions per shelf and a neutral style, you can display approx 8-12 figs depending on their size per case (2 if tall, 3 if varied height figure rule, with rare exceptions, as my calculation). That's not bad for $60. With two Detolfs, that's up to 24 figs for $120 in a very minimal presentation. $7 more will let you weatherstrip it and you barely, barely ever need to dust inside.

I'm not saying the detolf is the best display shelving on the market, but it's the most complete one for a reasonable price that does three things: puts your collection front and center, keeps them generally safe, and isn't intrusive in most style living spaces.

Until someone comes on the market and can do that better for under $120, I don't see a better option. Moducase is out there, but they are awfully expensive; to roughly imitate a detolf you're into almost $1k. There are some nice open shelves on the market, but then you sacrifice the protective aspects. Dave has open shelves that look good, we just rarely see the wide angle!

Short of custom building cabinetry, it's just too hard to beat that.

What boggles my mind is that Ikea has not introduced the detolf 2.0/XL, the detolf successor, or built a system around the detolf. The besta is the next thing, but those have only one viewing angle. Imagine ikea bringing the same pick and choose modularity to the detolf, based on 1, 2, or 3 unit wide bases. Maybe offer sliding door options for the larger model. And then whatever you can imagine to customize the system.

But anyway. Don't forget to customize your shelves with acrylic cuts from some of the aftermarket guys. It'll let things transcend one level in your shelving and it looks good.

I really like those but they are pricey. I would need at least "5" just to replace the number of Detolfs that I presently have.

If you're a Costco member, they tend to get some Pulaski curios in for about $400 every year, once a year. They go quick. I got one for some hockey memorabilia I have and it's an incredible piece for the price I got it for.

I also got one for my Hot Toys that I mentioned about, for $800. It's roughly the same size as the Costco one and as I mentioned, can fit a lot of figures in it. I'm going to get a second. I know some curios can go for $1500+ but if you look around, you can find one for a decent price. And like I said before - the best part isn't the display space but the peace of mind. Those things are built as solid as it gets.

Don't know why some of y'all are knocking the current Legolas. I'm smh at that. He looks awesome. He's got tremendous shelf presence.

Tbh, most of the time rooted hair is a fail. Most of my figures have sculpted hair. To my eye current Legolas hair is fine! And the facial likeness is 10/10.

That said, I'm sure those that get this Helm's Deep Legolas are gonna love it. It's an instant buy for any LotR fan that missed out on the current Legolas.

But for me right now it just doesn't look like enough of an upgrade to go for it. And I already don't use the diorama for Deluxe Legolas from the Hobbit.

Back