Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like Asmus is teasing diorama from the Mines of Moria scene. Probably the next upcoming release after their Haberdashery diorama line.

3bd6ab3fc4aa3f711a242ca590f48440.jpg

95d442bba7c1158b5ccdb612af240866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be ALL OVER that!! Always thought they would have included it as a "luxury" edition Gimli. Definitely picking it up if they do it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks to me like Asmus is teasing diorama from the Mines of Moria scene. Probably the next upcoming release after their Haberdashery diorama line.

3bd6ab3fc4aa3f711a242ca590f48440.jpg

95d442bba7c1158b5ccdb612af240866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks a little small for a dwarf to fit into. At least width wide that is.

There are literally only a couple of Dwarves I wouldn't buy. (Sorry Ori and Bombour.) I may not have been crazy about the Hobbit movies, but I love most of the Dwarf designs and would be very happy to add them to the collection!

So bring on those stumpy bastards, Asmus!

Last edited:
There are literally only a couple of Dwarves I wouldn't buy. (Sorry Ori and Bombour.) I may not have been crazy about the Hobbit movies, but I love most of the Dwarf designs and would be very happy to add them to the collection!

So bring on those stumpy bastards, Asmus!
I'm trying to keep with JUST Bilbo from the Hobbit movies. If I end up getting just one ****ing dwarf it'll ruin me. I'll need all 13!

I'm trying to keep with JUST Bilbo from the Hobbit movies. If I end up getting just one ****ing dwarf it'll ruin me. I'll need all 13!

Yeah, I talk a big game, but if they actually did make all 13 and I had 11 ... I know I would cave and buy the other two! :lol

Hi there buddy, and thanks for your insight.
These is something you said that left me wondering:

Those customizing buddies of yours, did they tell you where to get chainmail that fine and what results they had?
Thanks!!

I wasn't collecting LOTR - ordered Gimli #1 based on Michael Crawford and other reviews. IMO figure is so good at this price point I PO'd a second one - the diecast axes alone almost make it worth purchase.

Agree the front belt loop is too tight for the axe end - u may be able to warm up and stretch. I snapped my front loop partially at base but now it sort of works as a plastic clip *shrug* u don't notice and I got axes the way I want. Some folks wanted real chain mail armor and have customized.

For me very minor con vs. the sheer excellence of the sculpt, the great transition from rooted hair to skin (not harsh), the thick, what feels like high quality wig, the fig sturdiness (heavy for his size), great paint, ability to pose and stand, and outstanding details from boots to the diecast axes and cloak.

I'd never say folks should get a fig OMG you will lose out etc. IMO collecting is a real personal thing + the money:horror. But IMO Gimli is staggeringly good at this price point. Had a heck of a time sourcing Legolas at retail recently; older ASMUS stuff on the 'bay is all marked up.

Think that if folks miss the retail on this and then see him in hand they'll cry later if they were interested in Gimli, honestly. Not even as favorite a character for me vs some others:google and I still ordered another:cool: (besides, Thorin can borrow a few of those axes). Gimli is that good.:love

My helmet arrived deformed and looks wonky on his head. It should be more symmetrical right?

Attachments

• GimiliHelmet_underside.jpg
    GimiliHelmet_underside.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 97
  • GimiliHelmet_top.jpg
    GimiliHelmet_top.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 96
Hi there buddy, and thanks for your insight.
These is something you said that left me wondering:

Those customizing buddies of yours, did they tell you where to get chainmail that fine and what results they had?
Thanks!!

LOL wish they were my buddies:cool: but check the thread on Eowyn pics - u can get spectacular results but it'll take some work if u build chainmail with 2-3mm rings/chain.

Some other folks are using mail from mesh women's purses (search E-bay) or switching out for other material from either other figs or from store. Suggest fine jewelry tool kit - e.g. small pliers etc. if u go that way.

If I were gonna switch out chain mail I'd probably go the mesh jewelry or purse route, myself. Even the minor stuff I've done - a good custom is always work - good luck if you try! I might have to if I want a mithril shirt for Bilbo.:horror

My helmet arrived deformed and looks wonky on his head. It should be more symmetrical right?

U can try warming really well, and reshaping and let cool in position. Or contact ASMUS! Good luck!

OK thanks for the tip buddy.

m.

LOL wish they were my buddies:cool: but check the thread on Eowyn pics - u can get spectacular results but it'll take some work if u build chainmail with 2-3mm rings/chain.

Some other folks are using mail from mesh women's purses (search E-bay) or switching out for other material from either other figs or from store. Suggest fine jewelry tool kit - e.g. small pliers etc. if u go that way.

If I were gonna switch out chain mail I'd probably go the mesh jewelry or purse route, myself. Even the minor stuff I've done - a good custom is always work - good luck if you try! I might have to if I want a mithril shirt for Bilbo.:horror

I have to really disagree here.
Gimli is certainly a state-of-the-art fig, but let's be real: I still haven't received my unit, but according to all pics seen thus far (especially yours), the skin-beard transition is just awfully unrealistic. I don't know if it could have been done better, and I don't mind actually, but really, the transition is just too harsh, nothing to do with the real deal, and from some distance it looks to me like a fake beard on a shaven face.

RfC
m.

Completely agree. I feel in a sense (at least this year anyway but I didn't get Yondu) ASMUS just gave HT a run for their money. Big time at this price point (tho I thought Thranduil and GOTG were great too esp. Thranduil....)
Or - just got Gimli and so blown away just used a handy SSC coupon and ordered another:devil - and this wasn't even a character on my radar. (For me it's kinda like Doctor Strange release 1 - sometimes a fig comes along that is SO GOOD IMO.)

Yeah - chain mail. Not bugging me that much, I like what ASMUS did (and if you read their FB page a lot of thought went into it). Also tho I futz - do some mild jewelry work w. jump rings, spring rings, etc. so if I wanna switch things out at some point, I will. There's a line where stuff and price crosses into custom work and I'd rather be able to get an affordable great fig.

Anyway LOL. Thrilled with him - Gimli is heavy, sturdy - some quick pics straight out of the box - so haven't futzed w. hair etc. yet.

Did I say I'm thrilled? I'm thrilled:love! Far as I can tell, strong joints (quick pose on a Phicen base which isn't the easiest to stand on for ANY fig re the irregular surface). Beautiful sculpt with perfect, great transition to the beard - really nice work:clap. Also beautiful eyes, face paint. Gorgeous detail on the helm. Gimli looks strong, noble - friggin' love this sculpt, THIS is the Gimli from Tolkien!:clap

View attachment 429528

View attachment 429529

View attachment 429530

View attachment 429531

Great wig - thick, silky, easy to work with (for me anyway). The hair quality is terrific - beautiful russet color (and also give me high hopes for Thorin's hair, which is a big deal to me. Dwarves are HAIRY. They need GREAT hair). Way to go, ASMUS:clap

Just superb, outstanding costume materials (some sort of fine ultra suede) and the plastic/vinyl feels like good quality - heavy, without the brittleness of cheap plastics - it's got a bit of give. The diecast axes (with more stunning detail) are heavy and weighty. The cloak is also fine ultrasuede w. a wired hood and Lothlorien pin. Even the BOOTS have mind blowing-detail OMG.

Plus, if Thorin and Bilbo are this good it's really something to look forward to:drool:drool:drool. I'm sorry for folks having to wait - I just got a delay notice on Cap from SSC so I think it's something to do w. cargo ships/shipping or whatever - but IMO Gimli is worth the wait. U really need to get him in hand and appreciate the face paint, hair, and costume. Holy sh** ASMUS!:clap Wasn't even going to pick this guy up as had my eye on Thorin and Bilbo, but Gimli is AMAZING. ASMUS can be truly proud of this one....thank you for the care you went to with him!:bouncin:bouncin:bouncin

Just speechless.
Buddy, would you like to share your secrets as to how to manipulate such tiny rings? What kind of tools have you used?
Any tips as to how to proceed?

@ everybody: has anybody found some reliable source of super fine chainmai?

Thanks a bunch!
m.

Gimli got mail! I also padded out the torso to give him more of a barrel shape, and shortened the neck peg too:

View attachment 429533
View attachment 429534
View attachment 429535
View attachment 429536
View attachment 429537
View attachment 429538
View attachment 429539

I have to really disagree here.
Gimli is certainly a state-of-the-art fig, but let's be real: I still haven't received my unit, but according to all pics seen thus far (especially yours), the skin-beard transition is just awfully unrealistic. I don't know if it could have been done better, and I don't mind actually, but really, the transition is just too harsh, nothing to do with the real deal, and from some distance it looks to me like a fake beard on a shaven face.

RfC
m.

Hafta agree to disagree - IMO what ASMUS has done is pretty impressive - also keeping price within range. Unless you want to punch individual hairs $$$. Just don't see any issue - Thranduil, sure, wish more hair had been used tho I work with it.

Might be getting this next year ... part of me really wishes there was a second laughing head sculpt.
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Oh yeah. Best game in town, that's for sure. I just say let's not get too worshippy just yet. Great step forward, but lots of more work to do yet. And let's not start liying ourselves about absolutely great skin-hair transitions that are not.

m.

Hafta agree to disagree - IMO what ASMUS has done is pretty impressive - also keeping price within range. Unless you want to punch individual hairs $$$. Just don't see any issue - Thranduil, sure, wish more hair had been used tho I work with it.

Oh yeah. Best game in town, that's for sure. I just say let's not get too worshippy just yet. Great step forward, but lots of more work to do yet. And let's not start liying ourselves about absolutely great skin-hair transitions that are not.

m.

We see it differently, srsly.:cool: I've got a few HTs that bother me a bit in the skin/hair transition:( - but IMO Gimli is terrific. Thankfully ASMUS seemed to use thick, silky, high quality fiber too. My worst quibble is I want a pipe for him.

And that is a real small thing compared to the excellence of those 5 axes.:love

Back