Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Thainitty and WorGar

love the review as always Khai!

Wor Gar the chainmail i have is like 20 yrs old ...it sat waiting to be used for the right figure lol. its from the DID dragon Timeline figures. i am going to play with the color of the chainmail. i know in the movie gimlis chainmail is lighter and more silver. but i kinda dig the darker

OMG - I remember those figures. I think we were all looking for those back in the original custom bashing project for Gimli. Olaf or something. Anyway, looks great. Maybe you could spray it with gloss so its shines more but remains darker?

lol my kids had a good laugh at daddys custom parts waiting in a baggie for 20 yrs

i sprayed it silver metallic and it looks awesome. i might do a light gold sweep over it and a little watered down acrylic sparingly to get the shiny metal yet dirty look .

Really love this figure! Definitely a contender for top figure of the year for me, if only because I waited so long for a decent 1/6th Gimli. And boy did Asmus deliver! Can't wait for their Thorin and Bilbo. I think Asmus broke new ground with Gimli's beard in the 1/6 industry. I hope they make a rooted hair Legolas and rooted beard Gandalf to polish off those figures.

GIMLI 2.jpgGIMLI 1.jpgGIMLI 3.jpg

Ugh... PO'ed day 1, paid immediatly when i received the invoice, got my tracking number the next day... and now Gimli is stuck at Canada customs since the 23rd.

I want my Gimli :(

Just recieved Gimli today. No tracking or email it was shipped. ordered on Day 1 as well

My only nitpick is I wish they had stuck with the prototype with regards to the hair above the lip. They opted to braid the mustache hair to join right under his nose and sculpt the mustache as opposed to the prototype that had a full rooted hair mustache. (See below)

The mouth on the prototype also had this grumpy Gimli look about it whereas the production unit is a little more neutral. I suppose that sums up my one problem I have with Asmus which is that they make what I feel are significant changes from prototype to production and don't tell us or show us.

It's a wonderful figure though and so thankful to Asmus for completing the fellowship - dream come true!

Gimli.jpg Gimli4.jpg

I think it’s the overhang of the moustsache that gives the mouth that look.

I decided I’ll be gutting and redoing all but the moustsche, which I’ll frizz up some to blend in...again not that Asmus really didn’t do a good job here, it’s just that synthetic doll hair will never look as good as yak hair

Wow -- great shot, Comatoast. Eager for the review and pictures.

In the meantime, I futzed mine today. Found a number of problems unfortunately, most I managed to fix except that I'm missing the inner ankle guard on one of his feet. I hope Asmus will send me one...

missing ankle guard.jpg

Regarding the high-head: he has a rather large contraption that's making his neck so high -- and its like triple jointed. I think you could either use a shorter neck peg... or install a whole new neck adaptor that's shorter. I think it will be an easy fix for most. I didn't have any neck adaptors handy or I would have tried.

Here's the offender...

neck adaptor to replace.jpg

That said, he's a stellar little figure and fun to futz around with...

Here's mine so far...

COMP 2.jpg

COMP 3.jpg

One thing I forgot to say about mine, and I haven’t seen very many people commenting on it in their reviews, but has anyone noticed what extraordinary balance Gimli has? Not sure why, but I was very surprised by this.

I was finally able to pick up my Gimli yesterday! ♥ There are some tiny nitpicks with him but overall he's absolutely awesome. :) I love him so much and I'm so happy he's finally home and Legolas got his pal. :D

DSC_3991-3.jpg

DSC_4000-3.jpg

Mine seems to be sitting in a Parcelforce sorting office in Coventry for the last five days, they are probably deciding how much they can extort from me to have it delivered. This was the first time I have ordered direct from Asmus and will defiantly be the last, should have stayed with TNS I would have had him by now without incurring the extra costs.

Mine seems to be sitting in a Parcelforce sorting office in Coventry for the last five days, they are probably deciding how much they can extort from me to have it delivered. This was the first time I have ordered direct from Asmus and will defiantly be the last, should have stayed with TNS I would have had him by now without incurring the extra costs.

Parcelforce are the worst. Have you tried using Planet Action Figures in the UK? They get all their figures direct from the supplier so there's very little wait upon release.

Wow -- great shot, Comatoast. Eager for the review and pictures.

In the meantime, I futzed mine today. Found a number of problems unfortunately, most I managed to fix except that I'm missing the inner ankle guard on one of his feet. I hope Asmus will send me one...

View attachment 421326

Regarding the high-head: he has a rather large contraption that's making his neck so high -- and its like triple jointed. I think you could either use a shorter neck peg... or install a whole new neck adaptor that's shorter. I think it will be an easy fix for most. I didn't have any neck adaptors handy or I would have tried.

Here's the offender...

View attachment 421325

That said, he's a stellar little figure and fun to futz around with...

Here's mine so far...

View attachment 421327

View attachment 421328

congrats man! he really is such a fun figure!

Back