Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone been able to get both throwing axes in Gimli’s belt or am I just doing it wrong??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff!! Will be picking mine up tomorrow morning. Looking forward to checking out this great looking figure. Now hopefully Asmus send out those replacement Frodo head sculpts and the collection will be sweet!

Has anyone been able to get both throwing axes in Gimli’s belt or am I just doing it wrong??

It was a pain in the ass for me. Actually got some paint rub off getting them in. Unfortunately. The plastic is too hard. I was also afraid of snapping the axes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great stuff!! Will be picking mine up tomorrow morning. Looking forward to checking out this great looking figure. Now hopefully Asmus send out those replacement Frodo head sculpts and the collection will be sweet!
Thanks Khai. Looking forward to your review.

It was a pain in the ass for me. Actually got some paint rub off getting them in. Unfortunately. The plastic is too hard. I was also afraid of snapping the axes.

I managed to get one in, but the other one, even after using the hair dryer trick, wouldn't fit. In fact, the little cap on the bottom of the handle popped off and I needed to re-glue it. I settled on holstering the one in his belt and posing him with the other in his hand.

The Fellowship is complete !! Thank you Asmus!!

https://youtu.be/hs6IwgT6XG4

Amazing display! And amazing collection back there. Thanks for the video. Where did you get those LOTR bases? I see the original Asmus bases for Aragorn and Gandalf, but the rest look fantastic too. Are they custom-made or from other figures? Also, that Gandalf, is the Asmus headsculpt with rooted hair and beard? I guess that's tibetan lamb fur too! Very cool all together.

Yeah, I had written before about the difficulty with the ax holder -- that's how my axe holder split -- two axes just don't fit well in there. And I had heated mine up first to it was pliable.

If you dare: I would heat it first, put the axe with the bobble handle first, then the axe with smooth handle last if I were to do it again.

Where the heck does Gimli put all 5 axes when he's just walking in the movie. I can't see where they all go. One on his back, two in the ax holster, and one in his belt ring... that's only 4.

Amazing display! And amazing collection back there. Thanks for the video. Where did you get those LOTR bases? I see the original Asmus bases for Aragorn and Gandalf, but the rest look fantastic too. Are they custom-made or from other figures? Also, that Gandalf, is the Asmus headsculpt with rooted hair and beard? I guess that's tibetan lamb fur too! Very cool all together.
Thanks! Those are custom bases I have made and some are from the pet store. Aquarium dioramas. The Gandalf head is a Toys Era Magneto. Haired and repainted.

Yeah, I had written before about the difficulty with the ax holder -- that's how my axe holder split -- two axes just don't fit well in there. And I had heated mine up first to it was pliable.

If you dare: I would heat it first, put the axe with the bobble handle first, then the axe with smooth handle last if I were to do it again.

Where the heck does Gimli put all 5 axes when he's just walking in the movie. I can't see where they all go. One on his back, two in the ax holster, and one in his belt ring... that's only 4.

I've been wondering that as well. When I was putting the figure together, I used the Sideshow statue on my desk for reference.

Gimli.jpg

But, like you say, there's still one more long-handled ax not accounted for.

I might be totally mis-remembering this detail, but I thought he picked up his signature double-bladed ax in Moria. From Balin's tomb. If he did, maybe he had one of the long-handled axes on his back before that? And does that mean he just carries one around like a walking stick afterward?

And what about the one he destroys in Rivendell?

I think I've just successfully confused myself.

Somehow -- movie magic -- he always has the axe he needs, regardless if he can carry it or not.

I suppose you could say he's packed it on a horse to carry or something. I can't go thru 9+ hours of the trilogy to track his axes. I just can't. :lol

Somehow -- movie magic -- he always has the axe he needs, regardless if he can carry it or not.

I suppose you could say he's packed it on a horse to carry or something. I can't go thru 9+ hours of the trilogy to track his axes. I just can't. :lol

I can't either.

Yet, at the same time, I'm kind of surprised I haven't already! :lol

I actually sped thru the first movie to see. So hard to tell the way they cut Gimli.

Anyway, has anyone managed to try and get the belt rig off Gimli yet? I'm curious just how much futzing this guy will require. I'm also wondering if I should bother asking for a replacement belt since my ax holder split open.... or maybe I'll just glue it myself.

I need to give him a good once over to see if there's any problems beside the belt.

I plan to put a matte pomade the beard and hair which will get it to look a bit less plasticy. This is standard practice for me for all of my right from the manufacturer real hair that I don't gut and redo myself. You can use anything at the drug store so long as its not garbage quality. Good ones don't leave a gray film. The one I use which is the stuff I use in my own hair is Fatboy pomade perfect putty. It really cuts that shine right down and adds a bit more weight without making it look wet or clump together.

Aren't all putties the same? I found out Old Spice Forge Mens Molding Putty is 1/4 cheaper than the one you mentioned. If all we're after is a matte disheveled look finish with a high level of hold . . .

:lol

The Fellowship is complete !! Thank you Asmus!!

https://youtu.be/hs6IwgT6XG4

AMAZING DISPLAY! Man Gimli is definitely the gem of the group. Just perfect. Hey that Gandalf looks familiar. I think I sold you that on eBay! It was a fun project. Anyway, I love what you did with it! Looks EPIC!

Back