Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wave :lol

It's about what I expected to see. These pics haven't changed my mind on the figure. Far too old for a FOTR Gandalf. The hair rooting is pretty good. The futzing by the blogger isn't very good, as is often the case with these bloggers. The sculpt is too old, the eyebrows are criminally non-existant, the sculpt on page one was a million times better etc. Outfit looks good.

Overall I'm disappointed and I'm passing on it. Ah well.

But why the change? Why didn't they go ahead with the first sculpt they showed? It's so baffling to me why they changed it...

Yeh, what we're seeing here shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone, Asmus has been pretty consistent with this throughout.

For me it's not terrible by any stretch, but it's also far from a home run.

I'll be picking this up because having a decent GtG on my shelf is more important to me than insisting on perfection.

man, I do not suppose to be judging any of our customers' photos...
but this is certainly a "Oops...."
You got at least wear the hat right...

13691117_1108101532546345_4205187782852951358_o.jpg
13717487_1108101415879690_301817955666564818_o.jpg
13730975_1108101449213020_4153887833045700624_o.jpg
13737610_1108101339213031_4061730566670748973_o.jpg

Asmus just shared these on facebook

Its a cool figure, but I still think its a shame that they dropped the prototype, it was overall, superior

The clothing, the stand and all the extras are great. Its the head sculpt that could have been better

The head sculpt looks too much like someone trying to get by without the licensing to an actors likeness...hopefully after a few days I'll look back and appreciate this. However, for now I just feel meh...

It's close just looks too old with all the lines on the face and how gaunt it looks. As I expected it's got some pretty negative comments so far on FB. My final opinion is I agree with Lejuan. This is par for the course with Asmus. None of their likenesses have been 100%. I think with this one it will look better in hand and viewed at a normal distance. Not like the blown up pictures we see.

02hobbit-pg-horizontal.jpg
13654155_1108101415879690_301817955666564818_n.jpg

ETA What's weird is it seems like almost all the lines match up on the face. I wonder if it's the paint job that's throwing it off? Seems like the painters tried to make it super detailed by putting too many brown age spots on the face.

Last edited:
I think a more even paint touch-up of the skin tone and eyebrows/beard (under the mouth) could compliment the sculpt. Also the 1/6 "pox" are always more of a macro picture problem than in-hand.

Yeah he's not perfect and the head sculpt could be better, but it's still a nice looking Gandalf and he'll look good with the other LOTR figs with his hat pulled way down. Besides, I can't see other companies making LOTR figures anytime soon

View attachment 281050
13654155_1108101415879690_301817955666564818_n.jpg

ETA What's weird is it seems like almost all the lines match up on the face. I wonder if it's the paint job that's throwing it off? Seems like the painters tried to make it super detailed by putting too many brown age spots on the face.
I was thinking the same thing. I started matching up lines and thought it all looked pretty close. Maybe they are just a little too deep, too pronounced.

:dunno

I will be getting mine on Thursday for our in-house unboxing photos,
hopefully I can provide some consistent standard final photos as my previous unboxing.

I do have strong faith in our products.
at least from what I have seen during the production.

So I guess its just wait and see.

hopefully I can provide some consistent standard final photos as my previous unboxing.

It must be frustrating reading so many critical comments when you are excited for the new product. I hope my own comments haven't been overly harsh. Overall I think the figure looks great and I plan on buying him. Looking forward to your pics!

I don't envy your position, dealing with picky fans, but I do appreciate your presence here. :peace

It must be frustrating reading so many critical comments when you are excited for the new product. I hope my own comments haven't been overly harsh. Overall I think the figure looks great and I plan on buying him. Looking forward to your pics!

I don't envy your position, dealing with picky fans, but I do appreciate your presence here. :peace

I totally agree. There is a big difference between constructive criticism and some of the rude comments that sometimes get posted here and on FB. We are a fickle bunch.

Thanks for all your input...we are tough crowd, partially born out of love, and partially due to our wallets. :)

How far away are these from shipping, or are we still in tweaking mode? It appears these are about ready to go as is.

I totally agree. There is a big difference between constructive criticism and some of the rude comments that sometimes get posted here and on FB. We are a fickle bunch.
Yes, we all love our figures and want them to be the best possible. For those who are just bashing, you're welcome to buy your LOTR figures from that other company. Oh wait.......there isn't one.

Thanks for all your input...we are tough crowd, partially born out of love, and partially due to our wallets. :)

How far away are these from shipping, or are we still in tweaking mode? It appears these are about ready to go as is.

Thank you all for the encouragement

It is NOT easy at any level to deal with negative comments.
I am not involved in production, but I do participate in all the discussion as ALL of our colleagues too.
GTG was a product with enormous amount of input, in fact, I have never seen these much dedication to a single product before
I could already foresee the dark cloud circling above our office tomorrow...

Anyway, this is final products, in fact, most of the Chinese buyers properly have a copy in hand by now.
Our batch comes in on Thursday along with the online orders.
Many of the oversea distribution orders are now traveling.

I am very much looking forward to getting the invoice for payment. I'll be very glad when this is in hand.

When will those of us who purchased this and Gandalf the White be able to get the replacement head?

Really liking those newer pics, im happy with what I see, really looking forward to having a whole fellowship by asmus in the display cabinet

Did asmus ever say why they dropped the previous sculpt?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back