Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will there be a way to buy that LOTR sculpt? Because I would be sorely frustrated if not. Because pushing us into two Gandalfs over the headsculpt would be disappointing, to be polite.

Hmmm...same here. If that is the reason for the head replacement, I must say I am very disapointed and would probably skip this figure and wait for the LOTR version 😞

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

If there is enough request for it, I would say it is very possible.
We hate to waste a good head sculpt too.

That is good to hear, I hope it is possible. Maybe a Gandalf headsculpt V.2 twin pack for this and GtW? I think it would be fair to charge for it as an expansion pack (like Big Chief do with their Doctor Who add ons). People will always want something for nothing, but an optional extra us just that. Optional. Producing the headsculpt will obviously cost money and resources, so a price isn't unfair, and also means people won't feel forced into buying two figures.

Thanks for the answer too, it's always a positive sign to me when companies communicate with the fans, especially as openly as you do.
I hope you can see the positive amongst the negative here, as I imagine it can be tough sometimes when people are overly harsh towards your work.
My personal point of view is I would much prefer a LOTR version. But this figure looks to have excellent craftsmanship on the costume and accessories, and the bridge display piece is a very nice touch (although it's LOTR specific). :)

The previous head is swapped because we want to do a "Hobbit" Gandalf rather than "LOTR" Gandalf,
it is a closer released film to the present, and it would be an adequate impression to the recent publicity.

That's why we also added the scarf, an extra Hobbit staff and blue stripes on the sleeves..etc.
All to match his design in "The Hobbit"

It's great that Asmus included the extras so that the figure could match either his Hobbit or LotR appearance, but opting against the highly praised initial head sculpt because it didn't look old enough is a pretty strange choice. I hope that logic isn't going to apply to Legolas (or Elrond or Galadriel, if and when they are produced).

Apparently it's the same mistake HT is making with quarter scale Vader: an unnecessary Episode III instead of the iconic OT. But that is Hot Toys and that is still Darth Vader...I think Asmus should have thought a thousand times before switching to Hobbit Gandalf.

Yeah i very like this gandalf, but we want the lotr version... please release an add on pack with the old head so we can buy that and use with our gandalf. You already have a wonderful sculpt, don't waste it. Producing only the head shoul be very fast and simple

Inviato dal mio SM-A500FU utilizzando Tapatalk

The previous head is swapped because we want to do a "Hobbit" Gandalf rather than "LOTR" Gandalf,
it is a closer released film to the present, and it would be an adequate impression to the recent publicity.

That's why we also added the scarf, an extra Hobbit staff and blue stripes on the sleeves..etc.
All to match his design in "The Hobbit"

I was made to believe that this was Gandalf the Grey from LOTR as stated in your site and in the beginning of this thread (Asmus Toys The Lord of the Rings Series: Gandalf the Grey
(Product ID: HOBT04))

Frankly I am disappointed with this version. I made a request for cancellation via email to your service but i was told that i am not going to get my deposit back :( even though it is still not in stock. I was thingking of waiting for actual photos from collectors before i decide again.

Anyways, I am happy to those who would be getting this. I was just expecting a LOTR Gandalf the Grey instead of this.

This move by Asmus doesn't make any sense. They've stated again and again that their plan was to bring us the Fellowship from the original trilogy, and this product was advertised as that since the beginning. Then they showed us a sculpt dead on Gandalf from the original trilogy that is welcomed both in the forum and out with universal praise. And finally when it comes the time to actually produce the figure they discard that sculpt, switch to an inferior one...and the reason is that the "Hobbit" older look is closer to the present?

I can't think of a better way of upsetting your fanbase. Any quick read over here or in the facebook comments will quickly prove you that a LOTR Gandalf would have been better received, and it was the figure people were expecting.

I for one don't like complaining and really want this figure to be great and give asmus praise for making us LOTR figures, but I just want to show the journey of this figures head sculpt and personally nothing has gone in the right direction. The original head sculpt is perfect, unfortunately between the preorder head sculpt and the final there are noticeable changes (bigger noise, mouth, hair colour, dead eyes...)

The first head sculpt needs to be sold separately, and personally if there is no announcement on this before asmus request the final payment preorders will be canceled

g2.jpg

I was told by Asmus customer service that they will cancel the PRE-Order but they will keep my deposit.

I don't think that was funny. I just wish they put the 'NRD' there somewhere.

TERMS & CONDITIONS
By accessing and using https://www.asmustoys.com, you agree to the following terms and conditions. Asmus Collectibles
may modify these terms and conditions at any time without notice.

1. Cancellation of Order
For pre-orders, customers may cancel the order before the product is in stock. If customers wish to cancel
an order for in-stock products, Asmus Collectibles only accepts cancellation prior to shipment.
For any cancellation request, please send an email to the following address: [email protected]
and state your name and order number in the email.

2. Price and Payment
The prices listed on https://www.asmustoys.com include the shipping costs, but do not include any tax,
duty, fee or charge of any kind imposed by any governmental authority. Unless specified otherwise,
all the prices shown are in US Dollars. Asmus Collectibes only accepts payment through PayPal.

3. Replacement & Maintenance
Asmus Collectibles has no control over what happens during domestic and international shipping. If
customers receive the package and find any parts missing or damaged, please send an email to the
following address: [email protected] and state the missing or damaged components,
customers’ name, address and phone number. If after Asmus Collectibles’ evaluation, the damage
is beyond repair and customers wish to return the product, Asmus Collectibles offers full refund.
The refund does not include the shipping costs of the return process.

Attachments

• Skärmklipp.jpg
    Skärmklipp.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 106
Eye position was better on the very first sculpt.
It would be good to give an option of the original sculpt for those who preordered, and did not cancel :)

Yeah asmus, to not release a separate add on pack with the first head will be a very great mistake. I think that ALL the people who bought this gandalf will be very pleased to buy the first prototype head. We want a gandalf the grey for our fellowship... mo one cares about hobbit trilogy...

Inviato dal mio SM-A500FU utilizzando Tapatalk

This move by Asmus doesn't make any sense. They've stated again and again that their plan was to bring us the Fellowship from the original trilogy, and this product was advertised as that since the beginning. Then they showed us a sculpt dead on Gandalf from the original trilogy that is welcomed both in the forum and out with universal praise. And finally when it comes the time to actually produce the figure they discard that sculpt, switch to an inferior one...and the reason is that the "Hobbit" older look is closer to the present?

I can't think of a better way of upsetting your fanbase. Any quick read over here or in the facebook comments will quickly prove you that a LOTR Gandalf would have been better received, and it was the figure people were expecting.

Yea I hate to say it but I totally agree with every thing you say here.

Yeah that doesn't make a lick of sense to me either. I wouldn't want a Hobbit Gandalf to complete the Fellowship from FOTR. :dunno The hype train for the Hobbit has been and gone anyway.

However, I hear there's a sliver of chance that it might be released down the road if there is interest? This would make me very very very happy indeed if this were to eventuate.

Time to be "that photoshop guy" (actually not photoshop and just a quick mockup).
I think that the sculpt is not that bad, but lowering the hairline and broading the eyebrows would significantly improve the likeness.
c.jpg

I never ordered based on the head swap. It was the wrong move. Let me buy that first head and then I'll buy this figure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back