Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new pics look better. It looks close to the prototype.
It has some faults, but not as bad as in previous overview.
Asmus I do appreciate your openness and a dialog. It is that I have preordered both Gandalfs, and trusted in your efforts, so I really hope that in the end with the upgraded GtW sculpt (and possibly proper vest) I will feel happy.
I am just a little bit tired of expecting a decent Gandalf, so sorry for some hard talk.

Just keep in mind guys, these are photos blown up to 10x the size of the real thing. Everyone was excited with the production shot with the army of Gandalfs. The accentuated wrinkles may serve their purpose and diffuse out in the right light at normal viewing distances.

The comparison shot to Gandalf with Galadriel in the Hobbit is pretty darn good honestly.

Also, how does Asmus billing work? I paypaled the $20 pre-order the day it went up. Do they bill me an invoice?

Asmus, congratulations for your hard work in GTG. :clap

Will be great with my Aragorn and the Hobbits.

Just keep in mind guys, these are photos blown up to 10x the size of the real thing.

This is the single reason why there is always so much "looks better in hand" talk about so many figures (and not just Asmus).

So far, I like what I see very much. I do think the sculpt looks "old" and perhaps too craggy (overdone detail perhaps)... but my Gandalf will be wearing that wonderful hat.

For me - compared to the original GTG prototype - something is off about the eyes. Not sure, perhaps the pupils are smaller, or there is just the tiniest tiniest hint of cross-eyes. May be a paint thing....Actually think the work on the skin is pretty spectacular tho, nice hollows to the cheeks, costume looks great. I'm already wondering if I have the nerve to mod this - probably not unless I can get an extra head - and replace beard w. hair. Plus I am having fantasies of replacing the eyes w. glass - maybe. I need a spare head.....

And, ASMUS:wave, if you are reading this - yes, I think fans will demand and complain and this whole business is probably pretty tiring to get into. But, for me, you are the ones doing Hobbit and LOTR characters that I love - or at least plan to do them (Thorin, Thranduil, Hobbit Bilbo plzz:pray: and I'd buy multiples of Thorin and Thranduil and maybe Bilbo) and I purchased this over WETA's Gandalf (at least for now) even tho it's a different kind of media, I know.

Can't give you enough kudos for talking to the fans:clap. Some talented folks here, too, craftspeople, Photoshoppers, modellers, artists who seem happy to help. Also know that "portrait sculpture" is one of the hardest things, and then having to cast it. Looks like you worked hard to be screen accurate and your hard work is MUCH, MUCH appreciated. Hobbit bodies! Dwarf bodies! Rooted hair! Accessories! Extra wrist pegs! I think your Aragorn was stellar and I am looking forward to GTG! Plus the bits of environment for some figs like Gandalf.

It's appreciated:) - IMO I am so tired of off-likeness and some of the older stuff makes me laugh outright, IMO it's so bad. Then there was the time I looked at a poly fig of a character I really liked and thought the face looked like Jesus so I passed on that one, because the poly figure wasn't supposed to be a religious figure *cough*.:lol

Anyway, ASMUS, thank you!:clap

Thank you all for the encouragement

It is NOT easy at any level to deal with negative comments.
I am not involved in production, but I do participate in all the discussion as ALL of our colleagues too.
GTG was a product with enormous amount of input, in fact, I have never seen these much dedication to a single product before
I could already foresee the dark cloud circling above our office tomorrow...

Anyway, this is final products, in fact, most of the Chinese buyers properly have a copy in hand by now.
Our batch comes in on Thursday along with the online orders.
Many of the oversea distribution orders are now traveling.

I think it looks good. Easily the best Gandalf figure yet in my opinion based on the pictures.

I think he looks awesome! :clap: don't know if anyone has pointed out, but I love the 'real' shoes.

I could already foresee the dark cloud circling above our office tomorrow...

this line makes me sad b/c Asmus is one of the few 1/6 scale companies that I know of other than Star Ace, that actually seems to try and listen to fan critiques while still putting out a product that they are happy with and is accepted by the license holder.

as the old saying goes (and is undoubtedly appropriate here re:collectors), "give them an inch and they'll take a mile"

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. I started matching up lines and thought it all looked pretty close. Maybe they are just a little too deep, too pronounced.

Agree with this. It may not be needed tho, for the in-hand product, but IF needed I was wondering if a quick wash of paint - or even some sort of liquid silicon - would smooth any overly-deep lines. Looks like a bit of paint actually caked into the forehead creases. IMO it's such a tough call when casting (not that I've done any). Too deep may be a problem; too shallow and GTG would look like he had visited a plastic surgeon.:lol

But since I plan to display w. hat "shrug" - what was cool for me is that costume, body, face, and the way you can pose this fig - IMO it screams Gandalf. Not just some old guy in a dress who kind of looks like Gandalf....:lol

I hope the Middle Earth lines are selling well. People who are not happy tend to be the most vocal so if the figures are still selling through then I would say the line is being received well by the target audience as a whole. I know overall I am very happy. Asmus is my favorite 1/6 company right now followed by QMX after they went the extra mile with Mal and hired on Nanjin (he is a perfectionist). I hope Asmus is still making LOTR figures 5 even 10 years from now.

Asmus is on the top of my list for 1/6 right now as well. I really think this figure turned out great. I love the pose of him sitting and smoking his pipe weed. It's making me curious to see what's been changed with GTW.

:tap Still waiting to see pics with him wearing his hat properly. His clothing looks pretty nice to me. Just not sold yet on the sculpt and beard. I need to see more pics of what other collectors are able to accomplish with the set. If I like what I see I'll probably pick up both wizards. Maybe then I'll finally build the orthanc tower lego set I bought ages ago.

I hope the Middle Earth lines are selling well. People who are not happy tend to be the most vocal so if the figures are still selling through then I would say the line is being received well by the target audience as a whole. I know overall I am very happy. Asmus is my favorite 1/6 company right now followed by QMX after they went the extra mile with Mal and hired on Nanjin (he is a perfectionist). I hope Asmus is still making LOTR figures 5 even 10 years from now.

I hope ASMUS is making Hobbit/LOTR figures 5, 10 years from now - IMO there's plenty to do, and even if there were new Hobbit/LOTR figures IMO the character representations are timeless. You'd be able to spread variants over time; IMO easier to deal w. than polystone in displays and obviously can pose. Not knocking poly figures AT ALL (may get WETA's Gandalf, eventually) but enjoy being able to do dioramas and futz w. figures. I like rooted hair, if well done, and looks like a lot of work went into getting Saruman and Gandalf's hair right (and hopefully one day Thorin and Thranduil and Gimli).

BTW like someone posted - love that Gandalf has real shoes! Plus multiple staff choices.

Same here I love having the ankle movement as long as the ankles are sturdy. So far the ankles on my Asmus figures have been. The multiple staffs are great too and since I am obsessive compulsive with LOTR 1/6 figures I have two on order and can set one up for post Issengard and the other from the Hobbit or pre-Issengard

The previous head is swapped because we want to do a "Hobbit" Gandalf rather than "LOTR" Gandalf,
it is a closer released film to the present, and it would be an adequate impression to the recent publicity.

That's why we also added the scarf, an extra Hobbit staff and blue stripes on the sleeves..etc.
All to match his design in "The Hobbit"

I am loving the new photos and very happy to hear that online asmus orders will be arriving to their offices on Thursday! Gandalf is going to look great waiting with aragorn merry and pippin for the rest of the fellowship!

The previous head is swapped because we want to do a "Hobbit" Gandalf rather than "LOTR" Gandalf,
it is a closer released film to the present, and it would be an adequate impression to the recent publicity.

That's why we also added the scarf, an extra Hobbit staff and blue stripes on the sleeves..etc.

Do you think there will ever be a LOTR specific version released? Could be an easy(ish) release with the earlier headsculpt and tweaked costume.

Do you think there will ever be a LOTR specific version released? Could be an easy(ish) release with the earlier headsculpt and tweaked costume.

If there is enough request for it, I would say it is very possible.
We hate to waste a good head sculpt too.

I understand, however, the LOTR Gandalf is far more popular and the likeness on that other head (even without paint!) is far better. I would have preferred that one ten times over as I'm sure many others here would agree. You will find more LOTR fans here than Hobbit. Does the stand that comes with the figure say LOTR or Hobbit?

With all due respect I think that was a mistake. That would make sense then why the company went with an older look. It's pretty evident that most collectors wanted GTG from LOTR not The Hobbit. This figure is getting thrashed on FB. If it would have came with the original sculpt that was shown people would have been ecstatic.

Back