Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

As has been said - the new head looks more like possessed Theoden than Gandalf. The original sculpt was spot on. Not ordering this now, would rather pick up a Weta sculpt.

I'm not pre-ordering but will wait for in-hand reviews. The real hair is great but the earlier sculpt looks much better, especially the hairline, not to mention it looks like they aged him 20 years. Maybe somebody was looking at the Hobbit Gandalf instead of LotR Gandalf. That would account for the 15-year age gap. Hopefully it will be improved or maybe Asmus will throw in the original sculpt. I cannot see how they can look at these side by side and opt for the new version.

I'm not pre-ordering but will wait for in-hand reviews. The real hair is great but the earlier sculpt looks much better, especially the hairline, not to mention it looks like they aged him 20 years. Maybe somebody was looking at the Hobbit Gandalf instead of LotR Gandalf. That would account for the 15-year age gap. Hopefully it will be improved or maybe Asmus will throw in the original sculpt. I cannot see how they can look at these side by side and opt for the new version.

I think that's exactly what happened. This is an excellent Hobbit Gandalf likeness and the original sculpt was a perfect WIP likeness of LotR Gandalf. However, this Gandalf figure is based on the Hobbit films as evidence of his product code on Asmus's site. Like everyone else, I hope Asmus releases the original sculpt. That said, I do think this figure is very good for what it is.

I still love it, and think its funny that The Hobbit version would look older....obviously due to when it was filmed, compared to LOTR and Sir Ian ageing, but the older Gandalf would look better as LOTR....being that it happened 30 odd years after haha

I still love it, and think its funny that The Hobbit version would look older....obviously due to when it was filmed, compared to LOTR and Sir Ian ageing, but the older Gandalf would look better as LOTR....being that it happened 30 odd years after haha

LoTR happens about 100 years after The Hobbit, hobbits have long lifespans and Bilbo was even older due to the power of the One.

61years . Bilbo was 50 at the time of the hobbit. He turned 111 on fellowship

Enviado de meu ASUS_T00J usando Tapatalk

Most of LotR took place 78 years after The Hobbit (in the books, at least). Bilbo and Frodo share a birthday. Frodo turns 33 when Bilbo turns 111, but does not set out from Bag End until 17 years later (the day after his 50th birthday).

Of course, in the movies it appears as though the gap between Bilbo's and Frodo's departures is a matter of months or even weeks.

More on topic, count me among those hoping that the original sculpt is made available some day. The reduced articulation wouldn't bother me.

LoTR happens about 100 years after The Hobbit, hobbits have long lifespans and Bilbo was even older due to the power of the One.
\

Yes sorry - for some reason I was still thinking of the time between when Bilbo left and Frodo went on his journey. Sorry!! *cone of shame*

Most of LotR took place 78 years after The Hobbit (in the books, at least). Bilbo and Frodo share a birthday. Frodo turns 33 when Bilbo turns 111, but does not set out from Bag End until 17 years later (the day after his 50th birthday).

Of course, in the movies it appears as though the gap between Bilbo's and Frodo's departures is a matter of months or even weeks.

More on topic, count me among those hoping that the original sculpt is made available some day. The reduced articulation wouldn't bother me.

Yeah. I couldn't remember the exact time, it's been almost 30 years since I read the books.

\

Yes sorry - for some reason I was still thinking of the time between when Bilbo left and Frodo went on his journey. Sorry!! *cone of shame*

No worries :) It could have happened to any of us.

Looks pretty good. Wouldn't mind seeing some variety of grays mixed into the hair. His mouth looks like John Cleese to me. Mostly I wish he was a little more mischievous and a little less bummed out.

After how the sculpts of Bard, Aragorn (hair issue is different than sculpt imo), Saruman and even Merry and Pippin. I am confident that I will be happy with how Gandalf turns out. It's nice to see they are still reading everyone's comments and tweaking things though.

Interesting ...

That actually looks pretty promising!

I'm sure the hair color is temporary, and this is just an in-progress proto image. He might need a little more hair volume, but that looks like a big improvement!

Bravo, Asmus!!

Last edited:
Yeah, to me the hair is just a prototype to show how to properly address the things we've been pointing out, like Gandalf's widow's peak. It looks great. I`m sure they`ll do the correct colour.

Crossing my fingers for a joyful Fellowship of the Rings Gandalf. I hope the final product doesn't make him look as old as in the hobbit

Gotta love Asmus for their no-quit attitude. I really do wonder if they have actually made any money doing this yet. Delays and re-dos and replacements have to be expensive.

Gotta love Asmus for their no-quit attitude. I really do wonder if they have actually made any money doing this yet. Delays and re-dos and replacements have to be expensive.

Which is why I'm always willing to cut them a little slack. These guys are awesome. I really do hope they are making money at this.

Crossing my fingers for a joyful Fellowship of the Rings Gandalf. I hope the final product doesn't make him look as old as in the hobbit

I plan on pitting him against Saruman in a wizardly duel so I am ok with grim/determined Gandalf for sure.

I pre-ordered on the initial offering, if they soften up some of his age lines/wrinkles and improve the widows peak as shown, I am even happier but with an unpainted head it is hard to tell. I don't want the paint apps to suffer for late changes so I am still ok with what we saw when the pre-order went up.

He looks better. The widow's peak is still really unnatural though and I'd probably mod it if I get this.

Good to see some of the wrinkles smoothed out. I still want that original sculpt though. :(

Still no eyebrows...

Back