Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a fantastic likeness, sometimes I think people forget, look at where this figure is for the price point and for Asmus where they are in comparison to some of their other sculpts.
Give them credit where credit is due.

Cant wait for this!

I think its more an issue with people being confused as to why that first more accurate sculpt wasn't used, if this had been the only head sculpt we knew about and saw then people would be likely be fine with 99% of it, no one is trashing Asmus just wondering why that first head sculpt wasn't used.

Hi guys, hi Mr. Asmus.
I have preordered this jewel from a 3rd party shop.
I'd like to get this extras thing straight. Please enlighten me:

- Do any pre-orders, through whatever channel (for instance that shop I use) qualify for all those extra stocks of Gandalf? If affirmative, is there anything else extra? Whatever happened with the build-an-orc series? Do we get some parts with Pippin & Merry, or GtG? What about Saruman and MoS? What extras come with these?

- What's the matter with the aforementioned updated Gandalf the White headsculpt? I own GtW, and now that I'm down for The Gray, I'd like to know what to do to get the update. Do I have to prove I own GtW? How?

- Any hints as to what the update is all about? I loved the face, but I hated the sculpted hair and the beard made of sculpted patches (I think it is time for Asmus to follow suit of 303toy.com and implant head and facial hair for maximum realism and articulation). I also hated that, because of the sculpted hair and beard, the head had to sit so high on the peg, leaving that awfully visible gap between head & neck. Is all this being fixed?

- While I am at it, I'd like to collect your experiences with the Ringwraith Steed. I bought one and still have it in its sealed box, waiting for free space to pop up at home. I've read terrible things about it (namely Nazgul Steed Lord of the Rings horse action figure by Asmus Toys - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy). If I find one rear leg being shorter than the other, what should I do to get a fix?
Incidentally, I hope nothing of this will plague MoS' steed...

I really have to express now just how stunned I still am at this GtG. The only feature it lacks is implanted facial hear. All other aspects (even the still ignored aspect of FIT -how clothings rest on the underlying body-) has been nailed (have they used a fatsuit?). It looks real as never before Asmus get it to look.

Congratulations Asmus. Really. You've come a long way. I can't say I've liked HS' on Eowyn, Aragorn, Tauriel or Bard, but Saruman, MoS, the Hobbits... They are absolutely great, and improving! I will only say this, to illustrate: in the beginning, I was totally uninterested about buying Saruman, but little by little, I just had to. Implanted hair (even if color-mismatched with the beard, a problem Gandalf has steered clear totally!!), did the trick for me.

Thanks people,
m.

Hi again.
I just found out that those who pre-ordered Saruman (me one of them, but via a 3rd party) and own the Nazul (I bought the set with the steed), somehow qualify for a new body for the latter if they do something. I've tried to find the details about that something, to no avail.

Can anybody enlighten me again?

Thanks,
m.

Oops.
I just got it.
Sorry about the silly question.

I'd just like to ask Mr Asmus, if it is still too late for me to send the email with the picture of the card, and whether I could use this body for the witchking (which I also use).
I ask this because, even if the Nazgul is floppy, it is the witchking the one that's floppier and has to wield a huge hunk of metal. I think I can manage with the Nazgul's old body, but the WK definitely needs the new body. Would it be a proper fit?

Thanks,
m.

With a shorter beard the old sculpt would be perfect for Gandalf the White.

2wm2sna.jpg

I think its a fantastic likeness, sometimes I think people forget, look at where this figure is for the price point and for Asmus where they are in comparison to some of their other sculpts.
Give them credit where credit is due.

Cant wait for this!

I do think you have a point. And I do congratulate Asmus for their products and, most of all, their willingness to talk with us on this forum.

That said, sadly, I have not yet been interested in any of their figures.

In that regard, from my personal point of view, only so it is registered (I do think it's important for them, as a company, not to have a illusion bubble created by fans pressuring people not to complain):

I would gladly pay more (as I believe, many would, or else Hot Toys would be out of the market) for a better sculpt (like their first one).

Some aspects, as rooted hair, are not necessarily deal breaker for me, but most of the time, they ended up being a strong factor in why I don't get a figure (was my main issue with Saruman and a Strong one on this Gandalf). I usually dislike the hairline part of rooted figures, the way it has a really visible "gap".

Another strong factor for me was the "age" of the sculpt, which I do know might be softened in the final product.

I do wish success to Asmus, and love the new companies entering the market.

I do think you have a point. And I do congratulate Asmus for their products and, most of all, their willingness to talk with us on this forum.

That said, sadly, I have not yet been interested in any of their figures.

In that regard, from my personal point of view, only so it is registered (I do think it's important for them, as a company, not to have a illusion bubble created by fans pressuring people not to complain):

I would gladly pay more (as I believe, many would, or else Hot Toys would be out of the market) for a better sculpt (like their first one).

Some aspects, as rooted hair, are not necessarily deal breaker for me, but most of the time, they ended up being a strong factor in why I don't get a figure (was my main issue with Saruman and a Strong one on this Gandalf). I usually dislike the hairline part of rooted figures, the way it has a really visible "gap".

Another strong factor for me was the "age" of the sculpt, which I do know might be softened in the final product.

I do wish success to Asmus, and love the new companies entering the market.

As a gauge to your opinion, what figures do you collect?

As you mentioned, varying opinions are great -- but those of dissent that have never held an Asmus figure in hand should at least qualify what in-hand figures they do feel are worthy. For comparison sake.

As a gauge to your opinion, what figures do you collect?

As you mentioned, varying opinions are great -- but those of dissent that have never held an Asmus figure in hand should at least qualify what in-hand figures they do feel are worthy. For comparison sake.

I collect sixth scale since 2002/2003. I started with the Sideshow Nosferatu Silverscreen (I do collect other scales too, but 1/6 is my main collection).

I have at the moment about 140 sixth scale figures, from various companies, but more than half of them are Hot Toys.

I took some time off from collecting between 2010 and last year (work to over my life, sadly, something I deeply regret). When I came back into it, I decided to change my collection, with that, I am in the process of selling a lot of my figures and buying some I missed while on my hiatus.

With that, I intend to end this semester with about 30-40 sixth scale figures, which, with my actual planning, includes mostly Hot Toys, some sideshow, Enterbay, Star Ace and ThreeZero.

From those, I have not seen in hand yet (since I have none) Star Ace and ThreeZero figures, but the reviews and pictures did get my attention for some figures.

I don't think I need to held a figure to access it and I did mentioned the actual arguments that make me not want them. I was close to buying the Saruman from Asmus, which is their best work, IMO, but the hair was my main gripe (also all the complains about the need for mods in the color of the clothes, since I don't mod my figures, but that was a minor gripe that made the original figure look worse).

Not sure if I answered your question. If that's not the case, sorry, I might have misunderstood (English is not my first language. I do hope I don't sound aggressive in my opinions, it's not my intention).

Last edited:
I collect sixth scale since 2002/2003. I started with the Sideshow Nosferatu Silverscreen (I do collect other scales too, but 1/6 is my main collection).

I have at the moment about 140 sixth scale figures, from various companies, but more than half of them are Hot Toys.

I took some time off from collecting between 2010 and last year (work to over my life, sadly, something I deeply regret). When I came back into it, I decided to change my collection, with that, I am in the process of selling a lot of my figures and buying some I missed while on my hiatus.

With that, I intend to end this semester with about 30-40 sixth scale figures, which, with my actual planning, includes mostly Hot Toys, some sideshow, Enterbay, Star Ace and ThreeZero.

From those, I have not seen in hand yet (since I have none) Star Ace and ThreeZero figures, but the reviews and pictures did get my attention for some figures.

I don't think I need to held a figure to access it and I did mentioned the actual arguments that make me not want them. I was close to buying the Saruman from Asmus, which is their best work, IMO, but the hair was my main gripe (also all the complains about the need for mods in the color of the clothes, since I don't mod my figures, but that was a minor gripe that made the original figure look worse).

Not sure if I answered your question. If that's not the case, sorry, I might have misunderstood (English is not my first language. I do hope I don't sound aggressive in my opinions, it's not my intention).

No, not aggressive, no worries. I was curious what figures you like and collect to get a baring on your opinion of the Asmus figures.

You can't go wrong with Hot Toys, that's for sure, so I totally understand why that's half of your collection and most of what you collect now. I was a heavy collector of Sideshow figures early on -- LOTR, SW, Indy, Terminator, etc -- but have now moved to almost exclusively Hot Toys... with the exception of this line from Asmus.

I've said many times, these LOTR figures definitely need work out of the box to get them to their pinnacle. And I know customizing an expensive figure is not for everyone. But if you have the inclination -- personally I love bashing figures, which is why I originally got into 1/6th in the fist place: to build, not buy --then these figures as you have seen can look tremendous. They have great bones.

And Asmus keeps improving along the way, making the 'bashing' part require less and less time. Just like Hot Toys in the early days, there's a learning curve... and a financial curve. Thankfully, things for Asmus seem to be improving fairly evenly so far. I hope it continues.

I would have to say that the latest offerings from Asmus have greatly outdone my latest purchases from 3Zero... I still enjoy my GOT figures but in my opinion my last three Asmus LOTR/Hobbit figures are above those standards, especially in facial sculpts. 3Zero do really nice outfits and get the sculpts close enough to where I don't regret the purchase (although Jon Snow was a bit of a let down). Also, 3Zero price point is a bit lower but is creeping up.

Saruman is an amazing figure. Once you have him in hand, I highly doubt you would regret having him. I also like Hot Toys but have had more than a few let downs recently.

No, not aggressive, no worries. I was curious what figures you like and collect to get a baring on your opinion of the Asmus figures.

You can't go wrong with Hot Toys, that's for sure, so I totally understand why that's half of your collection and most of what you collect now. I was a heavy collector of Sideshow figures early on -- LOTR, SW, Indy, Terminator, etc -- but have now moved to almost exclusively Hot Toys... with the exception of this line from Asmus.

I've said many times, these LOTR figures definitely need work out of the box to get them to their pinnacle. And I know customizing an expensive figure is not for everyone. But if you have the inclination -- personally I love bashing figures, which is why I originally got into 1/6th in the fist place: to build, not buy --then these figures as you have seen can look tremendous. They have great bones.

And Asmus keeps improving along the way, making the 'bashing' part require less and less time. Just like Hot Toys in the early days, there's a learning curve... and a financial curve. Thankfully, things for Asmus seem to be improving fairly evenly so far. I hope it continues.

Yeah. They are definitely upping their game. I was close to buying Saruman.

I also had a lot of the older sideshow, but they mostly didn't kept up with the curve (I still have a few alien characters and the latest clone troopers, which had excellent facesculpt, IMO).

From StarAce, I intend to get Snape and Sirius. From 3Zero only Tyrion, so far.

I'm watching Asmus closely, and really hope to be impressed by this final product (although the age and hairline bothers me a lot on the pictures they showed). I was really impressed by Gandalf the grey previous headsculpt.

My "OCD" keeps me from customizing. I love to know my figures are the same they were when they left their boxes. I do agree that Asmus is getting close to not needing any change. I'm eager to add them to my collection.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I can't believe they botched the hairline - it's one of the things that makes Gandalf, well, Gandalf. Like most of us I believe the wrinkles will soften when we see production pieces but that hairline is wrong, plain and simple. If Asmus wants to compete with the big boys they need to pay attention to the basics.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I can't believe they botched the hairline - it's one of the things that makes Gandalf, well, Gandalf. Like most of us I believe the wrinkles will soften when we see production pieces but that hairline is wrong, plain and simple. If Asmus wants to compete with the big boys they need to pay attention to the basics.

Big Boys? Like Hot Toys? I've just come off collecting their Star Wars OT line. $250-a-piece for average likenesses and pretty threadbare sets. And $300 Darth Vader ships with a load of frustrating design fails.

Asmus might still be a bit rough around the edges in some aspects, but this $200 Gandalf is looking better than the last few HT figures I've picked up.

excuse me, but this Gandalf have rooted hair... don't you think whe can fix it once we have the figure in hand?

right now, i'm just hoping they ease down on the "aging" paint app since i will be definitely be posing this with the hat on.

Big Boys? Like Hot Toys? I've just come off collecting their Star Wars OT line. $250-a-piece for average likenesses and pretty threadbare sets. And $300 Darth Vader ships with a load of frustrating design fails.

Asmus might still be a bit rough around the edges in some aspects, but this $200 Gandalf is looking better than the last few HT figures I've picked up.

I was going to reply pretty much exactly this. Saruman is awesome and if this Gandalf is close to that level I will be very happy. I picked up Obi Wan at a convention over Easter and have him standing next to Saruman and the latter is definitely the winner in terms of likeness and materials in my opinion.

Asmus has had a steep learning curve since the inception of this line but they have come through and are really putting out some outstanding figures. I cannot wait for Mouth of Sauron, Gandalf, Legolas, their Boromir in progress shots look awesome... I will get Thranduil as well.. need more elves.

if they do Sauron, it better be die-cast. Not that cheap ass plastic they used for the ringwraiths.

if they do Sauron, it better be die-cast. Not that cheap ass plastic they used for the ringwraiths.

27 inch tall die-cast Sauron. $799.95

:lol

Asmus should have done a Build-A-Sauron from the beginning so that once you complete the Fellowship (9 figures) plus maybe 5 villains you can build your own Sauron.

Of course, they likely couldn't guarantee they would go this far with the line three years ago.

Back