Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the hair. It's just not working for the figure. I think this is one that needs to go sculpted. Otherwise thought the sculpt is spot on. Cover the hair and just look at the face.

Rooted hair is always a challenge. In many of the scenes, the characters' hair (Gandalf and Aragorn in particular) have sweat soaked pieces of their hair flying all over the place, and at times have strands across their faces. Rooted hair allows for a variety of display options if you have the patience. I also understand that many collectors would rather have the hair sculpted instead. :)

The problem with this, and you must go back to the first prototype sculpt, is that the rooted hair completely removes the unique hairline that Gandalf has, and it really hurts the likeness. That's something that no rooted hair will be able to capture. I'm not opposed to rooted, but this is a case where it is inferior, I really think. After seeing this, I feel there is no choice but to go with sculpted here. The lack of the hair being pulled back across the temples and the wide peak in the front kills it. The rooted hair reminds me more of the ToyBiz one of old, unfortunately.

The problem with this, and you must go back to the first prototype sculpt, is that the rooted hair completely removes the unique hairline that Gandalf has, and it really hurts the likeness. That's something that no rooted hair will be able to capture. I'm not opposed to rooted, but this is a case where it is inferior, I really think. After seeing this, I feel there is no choice but to go with sculpted here. The lack of the hair being pulled back across the temples and the wide peak in the front kills it. The rooted hair reminds me more of the ToyBiz one of old, unfortunately.

Why don't you think they could make them with proper line sculpted? I suppose it is possible.

Why don't you think they could make them with proper line sculpted? I suppose it is possible.
Are you saying mixed media? Leave the sculpted hairline but root the rest? I suppose it's possible, but the transition would be awfully jarring I think. GtG doesn't have his hair tied in the back, so you can't hide the transition like the updated GtW sculpt as easily. But if that's the way to preserve the hairline, then so be it. That NEEDS to be in there, hands down.

Simply put, I believe it's okay to sacrifice ROM here for aesthetics. We allow it for so many things in this hobby, but pitch a fit over hair, always.

My quibble isn't so much about the straightness of the hair, that will more than likely be resolved with production as usual. Its the fact that the entire illness degrades without unique hairline. Cutting that feature is like giving Gandalf a smaller nose; you're crossing into cosplayer likeness instead of accurate likeness.

I would hope they somehow offer the sculpted version, even if it has to (illogically) be separate.

I don't think any of us here will say the realism is better with the rooted hair. The raw sculpted hair looks more realistic even without paint.

I really hope Asmus will chime in on this, as I love to hear their thoughts and I trust that they will make the right decision, I just hope it upholds the likeness that we saw with the sculpted hair.

Basically, I think it comes down to either sculpted hair to preserve such an outstanding sculpt (I would honestly put this in the top 5 I've seen, based on raw images; this is Mandarin level quality) or sculpt the hairline and transition it back into rooted, as I believe denrep is saying. Everyone is squabbling about the use of rooted or not, but it should be over it's application. If they can mimic that hairline with real hair, go for it! By all means.

Where did you go Gandalf?

attachment.php

I like rooted hair on some of my figures but this is one time I would prefer sculpted hair.

I'm fine with it too but I think that if there's a sculpted beard, there's got to be sculpted hair. The two different mediums clash IMO.

So, you do not like the Saruman look?

I think both sculpted and rooted could look good and bad, it all depends on materials and an execution.

Molded hair will restrict gandalfs neck, looking up whilst lifting his staff will be difficult, also sitting hunched as he usualy does his head will need to tip back, otherwise he has to sit up straight. Just some things to keep in mind, it just depends how hes gonna get posed :) If rooted isnt working, pop his hat on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God, that molded hair sculpt is beautiful. I get that rooted allows for a LOT more articulation than molded (which wouldn't allow any, really), but it's hard not to fall in love with that likeness.

Asmus, is there ANY chance you'd consider including BOTH heads? I know I, for one, would be happy to pay a little more to have the option.

God, that molded hair sculpt is beautiful. I get that rooted allows for a LOT more articulation than molded (which wouldn't allow any, really), but it's hard not to fall in love with that likeness.

Asmus, is there ANY chance you'd consider including BOTH heads? I know I, for one, would be happy to pay a little more to have the option.

Me Too. :gandalf

Molded hair will restrict gandalfs neck, looking up whilst lifting his staff will be difficult, also sitting hunched as he usualy does his head will need to tip back, otherwise he has to sit up straight. Just some things to keep in mind, it just depends how hes gonna get posed :) If rooted isnt working, pop his hat on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on the dual joined necks on typical 1/6 bodies, plus the fact the sculpt has to be raised to accommodate the robes underneath, I definitely think that he could have enough motion to do the poses you describe, at least to a point. And putting the hat on is not a good excuse for a lesser likeness; Gandalf lacks a hat as often as he has it. The options should look equally appealing.

Viva la sculpted hair!

Guys don't forget Asmus said this head wasn't meant to be seen without the hat yet. This could be a quick build just to show the hair and body with the hat on with no intention of being a perfected sculpt or what not. I'm not jumping any guns until we hear from Asmus again.

So, you do not like the Saruman look?

I think both sculpted and rooted could look good and bad, it all depends on materials and an execution.

I'm ambivalent on the rooted hair on Saruman, but it looks well executed enough to not bother me. It is only a show prototype for Gandalf, maybe I am jumping the gun a little. But the Gandalf with sculpted hair was utter perfection, and I'd prefer that they don't mess around with it too much.

The portrayed Gandalf's beard on the cart, shown, is not of the same lengthy volume saw in the sculpted version right ?

Back