Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to see another Gandalf The Grey with realistic rooted hair and beard this time Please. :gandalf

Really looking forward to see what they can do with the new rooted beard techniques on both Gandalf the Grey and the White. (And Saruman, for that matter, if they'd ever consider revisiting that figure, or even an expansion head.)

I'll definitely be picking up Gandalf the Grey as well. I missed the original release, as I already had the rather nice looking SS version.

I still can't see myself buying the Slim Gandalf because of the face. Looks far too old and wrinkly to me. I much prefer the more accurate "younger" look of the Sideshow figure.

I still can't see myself buying the Slim Gandalf because of the face. Looks far too old and wrinkly to me. I much prefer the more accurate "younger" look of the Sideshow figure.

The original prototype sculpt was perfect. I want that face with thick, rooted hair and beard and I'll be more than content.

Yeah, but please don't forget poor fellas like me that bought the original release. I mean, think about an upgrade pack in addition!

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Yeah, but please don't forget poor fellas like me that bought the original release. I mean, think about an upgrade pack in addition!

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk
I'd assume they'd offer an expansion like they done with all the others. (Hobbits and Aragorn).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like rooted is aaaaall the rage right now.

Few months ago, and many pals around here would hit you on the head for even mentioning it. "Rooted hair is a hassle... way better off sculpted...!" and all that jazz. It was extremely irritating reading all that.

I always said rooted is the way to go. Fortunately Asmus agreed with me. It gets fuzzy? Carefully applied warm water and a couple of rubber bands. One night, and ready to be combed. Beards are not any different, of course.

So what controversial 1/6 feature could be proved next to be OK? Integrated bendy hands with no wrist seams?
Heck, I would be happy if they managed to remove mould lines from heads and accessories..... let alone removing wrist seams....

m.

I'd assume they'd offer an expansion like they done with all the others. (Hobbits and Aragorn).

Looks like rooted is aaaaall the rage right now.

Few months ago, and many pals around here would hit you on the head for even mentioning it. "Rooted hair is a hassle... way better off sculpted...!" and all that jazz. It was extremely irritating reading all that.

I always said rooted is the way to go. Fortunately Asmus agreed with me. It gets fuzzy? Carefully applied warm water and a couple of rubber bands. One night, and ready to be combed. Beards are not any different, of course.

So what controversial 1/6 feature could be proved next to be OK? Integrated bendy hands with no wrist seams?
Heck, I would be happy if they managed to remove mould lines from heads and accessories..... let alone removing wrist seams....

m.
I've always been in the rooted/haired camp. Adds so much more realism when done well.

I'm really hoping Asmus offers GTG with a LotR portrait, rooted hair and beard both as a slim and a separate portrait for those of us who bought the original. That would save me from having to get one customized. Also hope to see the original prototype portrait as GTW.

I need to get onto the Asmus site today because I still need to pick up Merry, Pippin and Sam for the Fellowship.

Has there been an announcement on Gollum/Smeagol?

I've always been in the rooted/haired camp. Adds so much more realism when done well.

I have always leaned more towards the sculpted hair mainly because of the quality mass production. It has gotten a lot better but I still lean towards sculpted. But what bugs me more is having half the fellowship with rooted and half with sculpted so at this point I want either a Legolas and Gandalf fully rooted or a Gimli and Gandalf fully sculpted. For short hair styles like the hobbits I think sculpted is the only way to go for now. I wouldn’t be shocked if 3-5s from now it starts to change though. When I got into this hobby back with Sideshow’s Aragorn I never would have believed I would have owned a figure with rooted hair. I also thought I would have an entire fellowship in 2-3 years so I really didn’t know much of anything I guess.

I have always leaned more towards the sculpted hair mainly because of the quality mass production. It has gotten a lot better but I still lean towards sculpted. But what bugs me more is having half the fellowship with rooted and half with sculpted so at this point I want either a Legolas and Gandalf fully rooted or a Gimli and Gandalf fully sculpted. For short hair styles like the hobbits I think sculpted is the only way to go for now. I wouldn’t be shocked if 3-5s from now it starts to change though. When I got into this hobby back with Sideshow’s Aragorn I never would have believed I would have owned a figure with rooted hair. I also thought I would have an entire fellowship in 2-3 years so I really didn’t know much of anything I guess.
Yeah the Hobbits with the sculpted hair for me is fine. I really can't stand sculpted beards though. Not only does it not look realistic for me it hinders any type of articulation. The SS Gandalf for example. No real movement in the neck/head. Wasn't a fan of that.

Just ordered slim versions of Merry and Pippen from BBTS as I like those sculpts better and didn't really need the extra accessories. What's the thinking on Sam? Should I go Regular or Slim?

Will be sending Legolas out for a repaint and rehair soon. Such an amazing line. Trying to decide whether or not to sell off the SS PFs. Probably not, because they are so cool, but still ticked they never at least completed the Fellowship, and Arwen.

Just ordered slim versions of Merry and Pippen from BBTS as I like those sculpts better and didn't really need the extra accessories. What's the thinking on Sam? Should I go Regular or Slim?

Will be sending Legolas out for a repaint and rehair soon. Such an amazing line. Trying to decide whether or not to sell off the SS PFs. Probably not, because they are so cool, but still ticked they never at least completed the Fellowship, and Arwen.

Just my opinion but maybe wait a bit to see if Asmus does a rooted Legolas?

Definitely get the slim Sam. While not perfect, still a much better portrait than the original.

Just my opinion but maybe wait a bit to see if Asmus does a rooted Legolas?

I have a feeling that the rooted Legolas will be 'The Hobbit' version of his outfit and that they'll likely release an expansion pack for those that bought the LOTR Legolas. Asmus had mentioned previously that there would be 'no rooted' version of the LOTR Legolas...but with the advancements they've shown on Gimli, my guess is that The Hobbit Leggy will most definitely have rooted hair.

Just received my Magneto figure, which I plan to use for custom Gandalf headsculpt to replace the Asmus one, like others have done before. At least until Asmus gives us another Gandalf!
The sculpt is fantastic, but obviously it doesn't fit directly on Asmus body. What have you guys done with it? Replacing the whole body? Cutting off the neck of the sculpt? Or cutting the body neck? Or just pressing the sculpt into the neck and live with it just sitting there? Thanks in advance!

Just received my Magneto figure, which I plan to use for custom Gandalf headsculpt to replace the Asmus one, like others have done before. At least until Asmus gives us another Gandalf!
The sculpt is fantastic, but obviously it doesn't fit directly on Asmus body. What have you guys done with it? Replacing the whole body? Cutting off the neck of the sculpt? Or cutting the body neck? Or just pressing the sculpt into the neck and live with it just sitting there? Thanks in advance!
The one I bought off eBay was already modded to fit the Asmus body. It was a cast of that same head sculpt without the neck. You'll have to cut the neck off. And then Dremel out the head to fit a peg for the neck ball joint.

The one I bought off eBay was already modded to fit the Asmus body. It was a cast of that same head sculpt without the neck. You'll have to cut the neck off. And then Dremel out the head to fit a peg for the neck ball joint.

Thanks!
I was checking eBay looking for that, but didn't find the Figure Masters version. There's another one from unknown origin, but not quite as good as the FM one. Had to purchase the whole figure, which is pretty great, and comes with two sculpts, one helmeted and another unhelmeted, so I'd end with two complete figures. Not bad.
Thanks for the tip!

Back