Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the NECA Gollum scale with these guys? Anybody have shots of them together?

I can live with it. It is supposed to be 1/4, but its small 1/4. Really more like 1/5. So its slightly bigger than 1/6.
Personally, I'm very happy with the Neca version. The paintjob is excellent. Looks almost like a Hot Toys.
The fleshtone is excellent. The only drawback were the eyes, they were cheaply painted. So I repainted mine.
I think I may have also trimmed the hair. And I did put hair wax to his hair.

Here's my LOTR shelf.

q43lhRf.jpg

IHMxW7U.jpg

fvOenDm.jpg

9iSQ1FG.jpg

an older pic

I'm going to be the odd man out here. Just an idea but for Gollum I would be ok with a static pose figure. More or less a statue. Make it a good hunched over pose and maybe give him 2 head sculpts. One of the timid Smeagol and one of the hostile Gollum. I'm not sure what that would do to cost but I would think it would be cheaper.

I'm going to be the odd man out here. Just an idea but for Gollum I would be ok with a static pose figure. More or less a statue. Make it a good hunched over pose and maybe give him 2 head sculpts. One of the timid Smeagol and one of the hostile Gollum. I'm not sure what that would do to cost but I would think it would be cheaper.

I agree 100%. What good is a seamless rubber body if you cant bend the arms/knees without worrying that the material is going to crease and then eventually rip and look horrible. No thank you. 2 Head sculpts for both Gollum and Sméagol and maybe do what sideshow attempted with Jabba where you can use different limbs to create different poses. For example, 2 arms that are choking, 1 arm that is relaxed, and another arm climbing or something.

I agree 100%. What good is a seamless rubber body if you cant bend the arms/knees without worrying that the material is going to crease and then eventually rip and look horrible. No thank you. 2 Head sculpts for both Gollum and Sméagol and maybe do what sideshow attempted with Jabba where you can use different limbs to create different poses. For example, 2 arms that are choking, 1 arm that is relaxed, and another arm climbing or something.

Yea that's an even better idea.

As someone with a number of Gollum statues already, I'd personally prefer the figure be poseable. As for the body, though, I don't need it to be seamless. I'd be perfectly fine with something designed like the Neca figure. The visible joints wouldn't bother me. (Maybe include a few extra feet, though -- some flat and some bent -- so you can get some good crawling poses.)

As someone with a number of Gollum statues already, I'd personally prefer the figure be poseable. As for the body, though, I don't need it to be seamless. I'd be perfectly fine with something designed like the Neca figure. The visible joints wouldn't bother me. (Maybe include a few extra feet, though -- some flat and some bent -- so you can get some good crawling poses.)

All good ideas. Seamless at this level just wont work long term. TBLeague did those 1/12 scale seamless bodies, and I’ve already seen one buyer who has damage at the elbows. Avoid seamless on a figure this small.

Fwiw, I like hoodonit00's idea of seamless rubber but static pose with the two different head sculpts he described. Servile, helpful Smeagol and sinister, devious Gollum. I could live with that.

Regarding the absence of visible joints he'd look lifelike then--and to me that's much more important than posability. Top priority for me is I want the figure to resemble the character as he/she appeared in the movie closely as can be achieved, shrunk down in miniature to sit on my shelf. A static classic Gollum pose will work just fine for me.

Fwiw, I like hoodonit00's idea of seamless rubber but static pose with the two different head sculpts he described. Servile, helpful Smeagol and sinister, devious Gollum. I could live with that.

Regarding the absence of visible joints he'd look lifelike then--and to me that's much more important than posability. Top priority for me is I want the figure to resemble the character as he/she appeared in the movie closely as can be achieved, shrunk down in miniature to sit on my shelf. A static classic Gollum pose will work just fine for me.

Then you are not a figure collector, actually. You collect 1/6 figs that you then turn into statues.
But for action figure collectors like me, the key feature of articulated action figures is ARTICULATION, that is, the capability to change the pose, and hence final look of the figure whenever I want, to recreate whichever ACTION I want to see reconstructed or newly invented.

if we do Gollum , he has to be seamless (!?)

Mr. Asmus, I could not care less about Gollum, but I might be the only one at that: everybody else seems to want one. So, you really should tackle him sooner or later. Anyway, as regards that character and me as a buyer, you can go about it the way you see fit, but I will allow myself to state an opinion now about the point you raise: seamlessness would be your ultimate achievement, not only for your R+D team, but also for your QC people. You must have seen those Wonder Womans by Hot Toys showing cracks on their armpites within weeks of purchase, right? And it is HT that I am talking about here. That behemoth, having such hard QC problems...! So: seamlessness would provide the best looking Gollum possible, that is for sure, and if the achievements of those nice blokes down at Phicen/TBLeague are something to go by, it can be done in a durable way, whatever people around here might say. It is not easy, though, but you have proved several times already that you are ready to tackle the real difficult stuff.

Anyways, the real problem of seamlessness, as far as I know, is no longer durability, but silicone finishing: I am not certain about the silicone being easy to paint on, and how durable that painting might be. So I guess that you will only able to choose the silicone colour and that's it. No painting/washes/anything on it. For a character like Gollum, that might be insufficient (right...?).

RfC
m.

As someone with a number of Gollum statues already, I'd personally prefer the figure be poseable. As for the body, though, I don't need it to be seamless. I'd be perfectly fine with something designed like the Neca figure. The visible joints wouldn't bother me.

This, absolutely!
I'm not interested in a statue: I have a Weta 1:6 statue already.
Visible joints wouldn't bother me in the least: poseability is a must for Gollum. And I don't want to worry about tearing a seamless rubber skin by posing him in a crouch. Make a well-designed visible joint body and include 2 heads with rooted hair strands and most will be satisfied.

Then you are not a figure collector, actually. You collect 1/6 figs that you then turn into statues.
But for action figure collectors like me, the key feature of articulated action figures is ARTICULATION, that is, the capability to change the pose, and hence final look of the figure whenever I want, to recreate whichever ACTION I want to see reconstructed or newly invented.

Well, naturally I want the best of both worlds when it is achievable. I repose my HT figures regularly (all but one, you know who). It's just that in a circumstance such as this, with the unique problems that the Gollum character poses, I'm willing to accept a static pose in order work toward my planned collection for this line.

It's not all or nothing. This is a relatively special case.

I basically make the same concession with HT JL WW, btw. I pose her without straining the rubber arms by putting her in a simple battle ready stance. It's not as dynamic as I would ideally like. But I'm still very happy with how she looks.

No articulation will be able to achieve convincing crouching pose without breaking the sculpt, if you ask me. Even if it is seamless. And that's the most valuable pose one to pull off as is.

I'd be happy to go for a static statue at a lower price as well, and I collect 1/6 figures. You know what else I'm going for? The Iron studios 1/10 BDS Ant Man and Wasp, because they fit the bill, despite being statues. It's not about everything being articulated, it's about picking the product that best pops in a collection.

Maybe static with some arm articulation? Not sure. I go back to the ToyBiz Gollums. You had the bendy and super articulated one. Neither were particularly great because of their respective structural drawbacks.

Back