Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people are being unfair to Asmus. If this was hot toys or sideshow these figures would be called ver 2 and the only way to get the new head and accessories would be to buy a whole figure. Asmus at least gives people the chance to just purchase the expansion pack. I've never seen other 1/6 companies doing that.

100% agree. I'm glad a company that is trying to improve is allowing their customers to upgrade already purchased figures with the better parts instead of forcing them to either buy a whole new figure for the upgrade or having them hunt down parted out figures at a premium price. And Asmus isn't charging an arm and a leg for the upgrades either.

I wish HT would do the same.

So is this actually a V2 Frodo and Sam?

I see Sam is missing his "bread" bag and his brown leather pouch. Seems everything else is accounted for. Original cape looks nicer.

On Frodo, looks like he has everything he originally came with except fewer hands. Is that correct? He also looks to have had a nicer cape as well. Not sure if the 'metal" sword is really an improvement.

The price isn't reduced, so not sure how this is a "Slim" version rather than a v2 version.

So is this actually a V2 Frodo and Sam?

I see Sam is missing his "bread" bag and his brown leather pouch. Seems everything else is accounted for. Original cape looks nicer.

On Frodo, looks like he has everything he originally came with except fewer hands. Is that correct? He also looks to have had a nicer cape. Not sure if the 'metal" sword is really an improvement.

If what you listed as missing correct, seems like the missing items on the Slim are somewhat minor.

I'm leaning toward picking up the Slim rather than trying to hunt down the original release. Sculpts look good on the Slim.

Does everyone think that Sideshow will be stocking the slim versions? I am definitely going to buy but I’d love to use all those Spooktacular rewards points I acquired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm unfair to Asmus because I was promised that I will get an improved Head of GtW with a purchase and photo of GtG. I also remember build an orc parts that disappeared along the way. So, probably my previous experience and now buying an extension pack because I want decent Frodo and Sam makes me more sober and critical. Well I've learned the hard way, that if I do not like the sculpt I better not to buy the figure at all, because there will be always a better version 2 or 3.
Hot Toys improves their sculpts 99% in a better way, Blitzway does not have to, and even ThreeZero is already on a very solid likeness level. So, Asmus is learning in a production process, and trying to be nice. I'm fine with it. But for now I did not get any bonus to make my experience sweeter (I still do not like my Gandalf's sculpts, though GtG is better, but still worse that unofficial Magneto).

I'm unfair to Asmus because I was promised that I will get an improved Head of GtW with purchase and photo of the GtG. I also remember build an orc parts that disappeared along the way. So, probably my previous experience and now buying an extension pack because I want decent Frodo and Sam makes me more sober and critical. Well I've learned the hard way, that if I do not like the sculpt I better not to buy the figure at all, because there will be always a better version 2 or 3.
Hot Toys improves their sciulpts 99% in a better way, Blitzway does not have to, and even ThreeZero is already on a very solid likeness level. So, Asmus is learning in a production process, and trying to be nice. I'm fine with it. But for now I did not get any bonus to make my experience sweeter (I still do not like my Gandalf's sculpts, though GtG is better, but still worse that unofficial Magneto).

Hahahah, yeah, RIP build-an-orc. It was fun to see a children’s toy gimmick in sixth scale though.
I still hold out hope for the GtW upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is perfect sculpt of Saruman, and all the sculpts since Legolas are quite decent. I am mostly happy with new Frodo and especially Sam sculpts. Let's hope all new ones will be of the same sculptor and paint application.
I am eager to see Bilbo and hope to get Gollum one day. I also hope Asmus will make Galadriel and Arwen, and that they will be perfect right away.
On a fair note. I do appreciate Asmus pricing, and the fact that they try to keep it reasonable. So to be fair, it is worthy of missing Orc parts, especially if there will be a full Orc option or "add the parts you are missing" option.

Ordered placed for Slim Frodo and Slim Sam!

I did goof and somehow placed two Sam's in my cart and checked out. Contacted Asmus to please remove the extra Sam.

Asmus should produce definitive figures. This v2-business is bad for us and them. People could start waiting, instead of buying, just because there could be a better version further down the road. That's bad, even with cheap expansion packs.

Regarding the head sculpts themselves: come on guys... they are by no means accurate. And the paintjob makes them look like made of stone. As renditions of Tolkien's characters, they are ok. As likenesses, they are worlds behind Hot Toys. Asmus need to improve their skills. The feet are also a bit meh, even if they are the best attempt ever.

As a side note: I remember fighting against certain dudes in these forums about Asmus not using fully articulated necks. I got lots of angry flack just for calling for heads not to be necked. I couldn't understand why I just wasn't allowed to criticize or suggest that we complained to Asmus as a community. Asmus have now seen the need I pointed out and have fixed it. I am a happy camper, but I say shame on you, silly bastards...

m.

EDIT: changed "head sculpt" for "head sculpts themselves".

After procrastinating and missing the v1 releases, grabbed v2 of both figures.

i just pre ordered these v2 little guys. they look awesome! managed to pick up legolas a little cheaper and anxious to see him in hand. not having to buy an entire figure , but just a head is a pretty nice option too. as much as i love the tailoring and craftsmanship im still sad im not loving gandalf or aragorns sculpts. but im sure a better head will be available sometime from someone. nature of the hobby ;) thanks ASMUS for continued improvements

Asmus should produce definitive figures. This v2-business is bad for us and them. People could start waiting, instead of buying, just because there could be a better version further down the road. That's bad, even with cheap expansion packs.

Regarding the head sculpts themselves: come on guys... they are by no means accurate. And the paintjob makes them look like made of stone. As renditions of Tolkien's characters, they are ok. As likenesses, they are worlds behind Hot Toys. Asmus need to improve their skills. The feet are also a bit meh, even if they are the best attempt ever.

As a side note: I remember fighting against certain dudes in these forums about Asmus not using fully articulated necks. I got lots of angry flack just for calling for heads not to be necked. I couldn't understand why I just wasn't allowed to criticize or suggest that we complained to Asmus as a community. Asmus have now seen the need I pointed out and have fixed it. I am a happy camper, but I say shame on you, silly bastards...

m.

EDIT: changed "head sculpt" for "head sculpts themselves".

I don't know how we got by before you came here. Thanks so much for showing us the error of our ways.

I don't know how we got by before you came here. Thanks so much for showing us the error of our ways.

:lol

asgardianboy, "v2s" are a fact of life in the 1/6th scaled figure world. Your reasoning of waiting for a better version instead of buying is unfortunately our lot in life in this hobby, especially with Hot Toys. So one has to decide if they will be an early adopter or wait for the eventual new and (hopefully) improved version.

I get the impression that you would have Asmus release a character and never visit that iteration again. I don't agree, if that is the case.

The fact that ASMUS offers a less expensive "update set" is something that should be receiving accolades, allowing a previous buyer to update without having to spend for a complete figure.

As for the head sculpts themselves, I've seen an improvement with each subsequent release; both in sculpt and paint applications. My only gripe is with the Slim version of Aragorn, whose sculpt paint apps were a definite step backwards.

Deciding between necked or unnecked head sculpts is really dependent on the character itself. Necked sculpts look better, all around. Unnecked sculpts provide added articulation at the cost of an ugly joint line. Choosing one over the over is not a "fix" but an option selected. You stating that you pointed out YOUR preference to unnecked sculpts and then Asmus "Fixed" them in subsequent releases is ridiculous.

If the character has an open neck line, then an unnecked sculpt is preferred. If the neck line is covered, then perhaps a necked sculpt is more beneficial.

Based on your posts, it appears that you fairly new to the hobby, which then makes your comments understandable.

I have the Sideshow versions of Frodo and Sam. The first figures from Asmus didn't convince me to upgrade, but the second batch looks very good.

Preordered both "slim" today :D

Really looking forward to all the new hobbit expansions and hope to hear news about boromir and gimli soon!!

No need to.
Fortunately, even in spite of people like you, Asmus has understood that my proposal was obviously ok, and that it was mistake on their side not implementing it in the first version.

They might even be silently roaming these realms, listening to good ideas and ignoring irrelevant, reactionary mediocrities... Don't you think? Oh... sorry.... you obviously don't...

;-)
m.

Start a petition asgardianboy! :rotfl

No need to.
Fortunately, even in spite of people like you, Asmus has understood that my proposal was obviously ok, and that it was mistake on their side not implementing it in the first version.

They might even be silently roaming these realms, listening to good ideas and ignoring irrelevant, reactionary mediocrities... Don't you think? Oh... sorry.... you obviously don't...

;-)
m.
97B96FBA-A47E-47E6-BF91-A190DBE70271-1594-00000139D4542A1A.jpeg

Just to debunk the expert a little bit:

1) V2 as a fact of life:

Really...? When has e.g. HT made exactly the same figure a second time? Do you consider the different Sparrows, Batmans, Terminators, Jokers, from different movies, to be the same figure? Do you think that the MMS/DX Terminators from 2010-2012 are just "tweaked versions" of the first ones from 2005-2008? And even if you find any example of pure repetition, how many instances are there in HT's back catalogue? Is that "the norm", then?

Because here with Asmus' Frodo and Sam we are talking about the 2 damn same figures being re-released again. From the same movies, with same looks. Not long enough apart from the first release for any significant technological breakthroughs to have happened that justify the re-release. Essentially the same figures again, just tweaking some details to make them better because THEY KNOW they didn't deliver to the market's standards in the first place, and apologizing via a nicely priced expansion pack. That has nothing to do with what HT has been doing, mate, and your presumptuous expertise is put to shame when you suggest that it has.

2) I get the impression...:

I detect disguised animosity against me the moment I see my adversaries clumsily put non-sense in my mouth that they dream I'd say, so that they might easily get to win the argument. :)
Read again the part of my text that gave you that impression, then read 1) again, and try to stay in touch with reality as far as you can.

3) Something that should be receiving accolades:

What kind of accolades deserve HT et alt. for releasing fully finished figures that don't need expansion packs merely some months after release? No, buddy, Asmus perform below standard, and do all they can to compensate us for it. Nice, but still substandard, in spite of all your accolade-giving.

4) To neck or not to neck:

Considering the amount of hair that can be used to hide the rear of the "ugly joint line", plus the fact that for the most part these guys appear on screen with their full attire (cloak hanging from neck and all), plus the fact that you can sculpt and paint the separate neck as if it was part of the head sculpt (HT does not, and it is a shame), I reckoned that the "ugly etc." could be hidden for the most part, the pros would outweigh the cons, and hence I made the fact-based proposal (not just an opinion, but a reasoned, fact-based proposal). And all this without even considering the fact that if you position the head properly, a nice part of the "ugly etc." won't be seen, or even considering the nice trick Asmus pulled with Sam: using his "dewlap" to cover the front of the "ugly etc."! The results are the wonderful pictures in Asmus' site: many, very nice, and the "ugly etc" is hardly to be seen.
And Asmus saw eye to eye with me, not because I said it (hey... maybe!), but because it was logical.

There you go, expert. Because based on your posts, it is understandable that you said you are an expert.
m.

:lol

asgardianboy, "v2s" are a fact of life in the 1/6th scaled figure world. Your reasoning of waiting for a better version instead of buying is unfortunately our lot in life in this hobby, especially with Hot Toys. So one has to decide if they will be an early adopter or wait for the eventual new and (hopefully) improved version.

I get the impression that you would have Asmus release a character and never visit that iteration again. I don't agree, if that is the case.

The fact that ASMUS offers a less expensive "update set" is something that should be receiving accolades, allowing a previous buyer to update without having to spend for a complete figure.

As for the head sculpts themselves, I've seen an improvement with each subsequent release; both in sculpt and paint applications. My only gripe is with the Slim version of Aragorn, whose sculpt paint apps were a definite step backwards.

Deciding between necked or unnecked head sculpts is really dependent on the character itself. Necked sculpts look better, all around. Unnecked sculpts provide added articulation at the cost of an ugly joint line. Choosing one over the over is not a "fix" but an option selected. You stating that you pointed out YOUR preference to unnecked sculpts and then Asmus "Fixed" them in subsequent releases is ridiculous.

If the character has an open neck line, then an unnecked sculpt is preferred. If the neck line is covered, then perhaps a necked sculpt is more beneficial.

Based on your posts, it appears that you fairly new to the hobby, which then makes your comments understandable.

Back