Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just pre ordered these v2 little guys. they look awesome! managed to pick up legolas a little cheaper and anxious to see him in hand. not having to buy an entire figure , but just a head is a pretty nice option too. as much as i love the tailoring and craftsmanship im still sad im not loving gandalf or aragorns sculpts. but im sure a better head will be available sometime from someone. nature of the hobby ;) thanks ASMUS for continued improvements

Legolas is an incredible figure. I missed out on the first run of Frodo and Sam so I'm really happy they're doing another run especially with the new sculpts.

And with Asmus offering the updated sculpts for $35 and $40 shipped for those that want them makes it a win win for collectors. Kudos to Asmus.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Lighten up, Francis.

Either English isn't your first language or you're simply having trouble understanding what I wrote, as you obviously take any posts as confrontational.

Please see my replies below in bold.

Just to debunk the expert a little bit:

1) V2 as a fact of life:

Really...? When has e.g. HT made exactly the same figure a second time? Do you consider the different Sparrows, Batmans, Terminators, Jokers, from different movies, to be the same figure? Do you think that the MMS/DX Terminators from 2010-2012 are just "tweaked versions" of the first ones from 2005-2008? And even if you find any example of pure repetition, how many instances are there in HT's back catalogue? Is that "the norm", then?

Yes. And you brought up perfect examples. DX01, DX11 "The Dark Knight" Jokers, "Terminator 2" MMS117, DX10, DX13, and Batman DX12, Armory version. e Same character versions with a new release. Exactly what I meant in my post.

Because here with Asmus' Frodo and Sam we are talking about the 2 damn same figures being re-released again. From the same movies, with same looks. Not long enough apart from the first release for any significant technological breakthroughs to have happened that justify the re-release. Essentially the same figures again, just tweaking some details to make them better because THEY KNOW they didn't deliver to the market's standards in the first place, and apologizing via a nicely priced expansion pack. That has nothing to do with what HT has been doing, mate, and your presumptuous expertise is put to shame when you suggest that it has.

No presumption of expertise. It's a simple fact. Get over it and move on. The hobby and perhaps life will be more enjoyable for you, in the end.

2) I get the impression...:

I detect disguised animosity against me the moment I see my adversaries clumsily put non-sense in my mouth that they dream I'd say, so that they might easily get to win the argument. :)
Read again the part of my text that gave you that impression, then read 1) again, and try to stay in touch with reality as far as you can.

:slap "My adversaries"? Really? I don't know or even care to know who you are and honestly thought of not even replying to your ridiculous post, in the first place. By the way, you need to replace the batteries in your "animosity" detector. It's obviously not working correctly.

3) Something that should be receiving accolades:

What kind of accolades deserve HT et alt. for releasing fully finished figures that don't need expansion packs merely some months after release? No, buddy, Asmus perform below standard, and do all they can to compensate us for it. Nice, but still substandard, in spite of all your accolade-giving.

Correct. Hot Toys figures do not require expansion packs months later. They just release a whole brand new figure, forcing one to purchase it, if they want the newer/better sculpts, accessories, etc. As I said, it's part of our hobby. Deal with it or move on to collecting something else.

4) To neck or not to neck:

Considering the amount of hair that can be used to hide the rear of the "ugly joint line", plus the fact that for the most part these guys appear on screen with their full attire (cloak hanging from neck and all), plus the fact that you can sculpt and paint the separate neck as if it was part of the head sculpt (HT does not, and it is a shame), I reckoned that the "ugly etc." could be hidden for the most part, the pros would outweigh the cons, and hence I made the fact-based proposal (not just an opinion, but a reasoned, fact-based proposal). And all this without even considering the fact that if you position the head properly, a nice part of the "ugly etc." won't be seen, or even considering the nice trick Asmus pulled with Sam: using his "dewlap" to cover the front of the "ugly etc."! The results are the wonderful pictures in Asmus' site: many, very nice, and the "ugly etc" is hardly to be seen.
And Asmus saw eye to eye with me, not because I said it (hey... maybe!), but because it was logical.

I've already written why I believe it depends on the figure as to which neck option is best for certain figures. Please re-read until you fully understand.

There you go, expert. Because based on your posts, it is understandable that you said you are an expert.
m.

I am an expert. Bow down to me, assguardian boy!
:exactly:

Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

No longer are you asgardianboy. You are now asgardianman!

Sent from my ZTE T815 using Tapatalk

I wish they'd re-release the elven cloaks. One of mine was stuck to itself with a dab of glue.

They said it was intended to be glued. I do not get why they did it too (I mean that know the reasoning, but do not think it was a reasonable solution).:dunno

Amazon is looking to do A LOTR series! Good? Bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, what?!?!? Like a miniseries if the books? Maybe a slightly more accurate version? I figured eventually someone would remake them because money always seems to trump everything but I figured it would still be years away.

More lotr the better, but it will be forever compared to the movies which it will never do as good as

Sent from my ZTE T815 using Tapatalk

Amazon is looking to do A LOTR series! Good? Bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably just want to surf on the Game of Thrones wave (since it's ending anyway). I can see it already : the story will be centered on Gondor (different factions we didn't see in the movies) and maybe Dunedains and Rohirrims.

If we're lucky, we'll see one or two elves and maybe a dwarf. No hobbits and cetainly none of the known major characters.

They probably just want to surf on the Game of Thrones wave (since it's ending anyway). I can see it already : the story will be centered on Gondor (different factions we didn't see in the movies) and maybe Dunedains and Rohirrims.

If we're lucky, we'll see one or two elves and maybe a dwarf. No hobbits and cetainly none of the known major characters.

Elf is good, love to see more Kate Blachett, but plz no more Legolas.....:slap

I think they were talking not about something new, but a series based on the books (actually a remake in a sense).

Yes, this is the press excerpt that I read as well. They are in negotiations to redo the LOTR trilogy (technically in the press release they call it "a" novel). No directors or writers on onboard and currently Amazon seem to be leading the bid (if in fact they are shopping it around like they say). This is a LONG way from becoming a reality at this point but exciting to see that studios are interested in pursuing it.

They are in negotiations to redo the LOTR trilogy (technically in the press release they call it "a" novel).

The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy. It is a single work,originally published out of necessity in 3 volumes, consisting of a prologue, 6 books, and 5 appendices.

The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy. It is a single work,originally published out of necessity in 3 volumes, consisting of a prologue, 6 books, and 5 appendices.

Those appendices are rich with information and stories as well. I could see either multiple series or lots of flashbacks for them to squeeze every last cent out of the deal. I absolutely love the books but I do not know how well general audiences will take to a stricter interpretation after Peter Jackson’s movies. The movies were faster paced than the books and Peter threw in extra fights along the way and cut out plots that did not involve fighting.

I wish they'd re-release the elven cloaks. One of mine was stuck to itself with a dab of glue.

Will Asmus release the elven cloaks as part of upgrade expansion pack (similar to what they did with Merry & Pip)?

Was hoping for a consistent look for all the hobbits.

Back