Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe something like the hair on Sideshows Baroness. I don't know how good that material would look as a beard though.

I think sculpted with the head sculpt is the most seamless way to go with the beard.

It would definitely be the most seamless way to go. Problem is it's made out of the same material as the sculpt. Figure like Boromir no problem. But if it's used on a figure like Gimli or Gandalf your pretty much eliminating any head articulation.

True. I would go sculpted for short stubble and gotees and separate more pliable plastic beards for Gimli and Gandalf. I think long straight beards like Saruman's can work with rooted but I am still not sold on those 100%.

Great start, Asmus! :clap

Really looking forward to this one! In my opinion, Boromir was the best of the old Sideshow line, so it would be fantastic to see how much better yours will be!

I agree with Wor-Gar, I think his eyes are just a little too narrow. (He's squinting and it's kind of making him look ever so slightly like a freshly-showered version of Daryl from the Walking Dead. :lol)

Otherwise, the sculpt looks terrific to me! Well done!

I really hope you're planning to really go all out on his outfit. There's some fantastic detail in his costume.

And I SO hope you include his original cloak along with his Elvish one! :pray:

BoromirCloak.jpg

What about a softer rubber for the beards?

that would still only give slight movement, and even if it did make head moving good, surely a soft sculpted beard would sit weird and pointy if the head is turns and the beard is angled ect.........

I love it! Great sculpt, and instant buy can't wait for this! I've been waiting for a good Boromir figure since 2001. Thanks for this Asmus!! Well done!!

Ha. Me too.

But it's always good to come back and have another look at the sculpt. Strangely, I think what's throwing it off just a little is the neutral expression. I actually think a bit of a brow furrow would help knock this one out of the park. Boromir was always scowling. He's constantly worried or suspicious or nervous. It's part of who he is as a character.

He looks a little too carefree in this sculpt. So it does look like Sean Bean, but it doesn't quite look like Boromir ... if that makes any sense. Give him the expression Asmus gave Merry and we're in business!

Mr Asmus: implanted hair is the future. Not the thick hairs some cheap headsculpt manufacturers such as Play Toy use, but the wonderful stuff you used on Gandalf.
Do not bother with mixing sculpted hair and implanted hear. It will look awful.
Thanks,
m.

While it may be the future, I for one am not sold on it yet and it will really look strange if the hobbits and Aragorn have plastic hair and Boromir has rooted hair in my opinion. I think it turned out great with Saruman but for me sculpted is still safer.

I would imagine Boromir would have sculpted hair. They've only really done the rooted hair with characters whose hair is so long it would interfere with the articulation if it was sculpted.

If they really want to pick an area to really focus their energies on with this character, I'd vote for the outfit. There are so many gorgeous layers and colors and textures to that costume. (Probably my favorite in the trilogy.) If they nail that, I will be thrilled.

True. Plus I really, really want both cloaks. At the time it came out I really liked SS's but I always felt like it should have come with his pre-Lothlorien cloak.

While it may be the future, I for one am not sold on it yet and it will really look strange if the hobbits and Aragorn have plastic hair and Boromir has rooted hair in my opinion. I think it turned out great with Saruman but for me sculpted is still safer.

Is that why so many people who got Asmus' Aragorn, cut off the plastic hair and glued on real hair, and managed to improve the overall HS ten-fold? I get the apprehension, and on the Hobbits I don't think it's necessary to do rooted, as they're hair is short enough, but on long hair, it doesn't make sense to do sculpted. It just ends up looking like a big, plastic glob stuck on top of the head like a bad wig. Although the original sculpt of Gandalf looks great in its unfinished state, judging by all of Asmus' previous attempts at long, sculpted hair, I fear what that sculpt would ultimately look like. Real hair gives the figure more of a sense of realism, then one big glob of plastic, and isn't realism what everyone is constantly clamoring for?

I think rooted hair would look better though if executed well. The last two words are the key in either case however. Looking at what people are doing in the Aragorn thread and similarly what people have been doing to Jon Snow in the GOT thread with real hair is astounding. The thing that works for sculpted hair with Boromir is that he often has a slicked back look (but that would work with gel in rooted hair as well).

As others have said, his hair is just shoulder length so it wont detriment the articulation but I have the Ned Stark figure with similar length hair and it still looks a bit odd if you take his larger cloak off. Nail the sculpt and I will be happy either way on this guy but I am really digging the newer rooted hair figures in my collection.

The problem with Aragorn wasn't that he had sculpted hair but that it wasn't executed very well. While most of the mods have converted to rooted hair, one of my favorites is this one which fixed the sculpted hair piece:

Aragorn sculpt.jpg

I don't follow Asmus's other lines, so the only other figure I'm familiar with long sculpted hair is Bard. While the likeness could be better, the sculpted hair looks fine.

Back