Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is bananas how far these things have come. Other collectibles haven't improved THIS much in such a short period, have they? I mean, some statue-makers are impressive these days but they haven't made this kind of night-and-day progress.

Well a lot of stuff is done digitally with the sculpting. Think of the video game developments in terms of digital rendering over that time period.

Ordered slim version need opinions on him.

I recently got him, and he's really fantastic. Actually, with that one and Frodo, I started to collect them all. Now I have Boromir, Legolas, Gandalf, Grishnakh, Saruman and Morgul Lord. Very happy with them all!

Just got my rooted Aragorn head. I think it's quite nice, much better paint this time than my original hard-haired one.

Great eyes! -- which is a bit of a relief after Frodo.

Aragorn COMP.jpg

Woah, did you order through Asmus directly? How the heck did it take this long to get to you!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I only just ordered like a week or so ago. I know, I'm way behind... but once Gimli was announced and I put Frodo slim on order I figured I needed to upgrade my old Aragorn.

Guys,
I am pondering whether to buy old Aragorn or slim one.
Can't go through all 277 pages, so I need to ask the ancient, knowledgeable ones:

What are the conclusions, flaws/fixes, tips/tricks that you guys have come up with during this thread? What is best: original, or slim? Are the cloth boots better than the sculpted ones? Just how good is the art base in the original?

Thanks to those willing to help!!
m.

Excluding the heads, in my opinion the cloth boots are better because I like having ankle articulation also the stand that the original release came in is great plus there are other accessories that the slim does not have. The slim had better hands and sword in my opinion but other than that the original was just as good or better in my opinion.

Heads - sculpt is the same so it’s just a personal preference between sculpted hair or rooted.

Hope that helps. Both are great figures as far as I am concerned. I have both of them displayed and I only have one room my wife allows my collection to be displayed in so I do not have too many things displayed.

I have the slim version, and I'm very happy with him. I wish he had the accessories from the regular version, but I'm fine with those coming with the slim. The problem is the regular version is hard to find, and it's usually more expensive than the slim version. If you find the regular for a good price I'd probably would go for it.

A big THANK YOU GUYS for your great contributions.

countbanks: I have watched your video. Both thumbs up! Thanks!

mikeljanin: you are damn right. Anyway, I managed to get a regular unit. It is on its way to me now.

Problem now (maybe any of you might know the fix): how to get those damn boots to look real? In pics they look just bunched up and dollish... BTW, are there any accessories in the slim version that ARE NOT in the slim version??

superdoug: thanks dude. You have indeed helped me. One last question now: how are the hands and the sword better in the slim version? Weren't blades made of metal already in the original version? Is terribly hard to tell from pictures/videos...

Thanks again guys!
Regards,
m.

That swap should work just fine. However, if my memory serves, I believe the slim body doesn't have any feet inside the boots. So as long as you have a couple of spare feet and ankle joints, you should be good.
Thanks.

Also Asgarianboy:
I think the original hands had a waxy shine. Also the slim sword the put a different "finish' if you will on the sword. It is more dull and aged and less like a shiney prop. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks boyz and galz.
Very interesting StarWarsFam. Noted! Thanks!
Now, how to get those damn boots to look real? In pics they look just bunched up and dollish... BTW, are there any accessories in the slim version that ARE NOT in the slim version??
m.

Back